Virginia 2009 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:36:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2009 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia 2009 Megathread  (Read 171650 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 08, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2008, 07:31:43 PM by Frodo »

Gov. Tim Kaine will stay -I think there will still be something available to him in the Obama administration when he is finally out of a job in January 2010. 

Given election trends, I give the edge to the Virginia GOP in taking back the governor's mansion next year, and I would not be surprised if we end up with a Republican sweep, with a Governor Bob McDonnell, Lt. Governor Bill Bolling, and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli at the very top.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »

McAuliffe vs. McDonnell. How many of you will support McDonnell over Terry.

I would first like to say that it is repulsive to me that a man who -until very recently- had paid virtually no attention to Virginia politics and has not cut his teeth running for office in the state now thinks he can practically buy the governor's mansion seemingly on a whim.  All the others at least have dedicated their lives to public service in the Old Dominion. 

That said, I am still only considering voting for Bob McDonnell in this unfortunate scenario -my decision is not yet set in stone.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »

And, Moran is really the only one who cares about the environment.

What led you to that conclusion?  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:04:52 PM »

Because he talked about the environment and cleaner energy the most. Deeds talked about energy-research, which is also great too. Smiley McAuliffe just spewed talking points. Did you watch the debate?

Sorry, I missed it.  Tongue

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »

I might need to consider switching my support to Brian Moran, who seems to stands the best chance of beating McAuliffe...  Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »

Nader: McAuliffe Offered Money To Avoid Key States in '04 Race

By Anita Kumar and Rosalind S. Helderman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, May 29, 2009

RICHMOND, May 28 -- Former presidential candidate Ralph Nader went public Thursday with an allegation that Virginia gubernatorial hopeful Terry McAuliffe offered his campaign money to stay off the ballot in key states during the 2004 elections -- a disclosure timed to raise questions about McAuliffe's fitness for public office.

"Terry McAuliffe is slipperier than an eel in olive oil," Nader said in an interview.

He said McAuliffe, who was the Democratic National Committee chairman at the time, had offered Nader's campaign an unspecified amount of money, believed to be party funds, to spend in 31 states in exchange for an agreement to withdraw from 19 battleground states where he could potentially hurt Democrat John Kerry.

The allegation -- which McAuliffe has not disputed -- is the latest attempt to suggest that the candidate's lengthy career as a confidant to President Bill Clinton and top party fundraiser could now be a political liability. McAuliffe's aides countered that any effort he made to thwart Nader might actually play well with party loyalists.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this might actually help Terry McBribe win the nomination (as his campaign has claimed it will), I seriously doubt it will work to his favor after he wins the nomination.  With Republicans prepared to sink his candidacy with the corruption theme, I am almost ready to discuss the margin by which McDonnell will win this November.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »

Glad to see Deeds is surging right when it counts most...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »

I guess it is safe to say that about 200,000 turned out to vote today... 

And that's not counting absentees. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »

Has either Brian Moran or Terry McAuliffe conceded yet?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:40:50 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2009, 07:52:13 AM by Fading Frodo »

Also, did Kaine refuse to let anyone be execute during his tenure or was he simply symbolically opposed to it (honest question)?

I think we had a few executions during his tenure in office, so his opposition was largely symbolic though I have no doubt his personal view toward the death penalty is as heartfelt as Governor O'Malley's. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »

I'm glad I don't live in Virginia.

Would you have preferred New Jersey, then?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »

I'm disappointed by the lack of polling data.  I guess it'll pick up in September, but still.

What's the point of spending money and wasting time polling households in the middle of summer when most of them are gone on vacation? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »

If 'f**ck' was all he said, than it's no big deal and has no chance of affecting his campaign to the same level of notoriety as George Allen's 'Macaca'.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »

Bob McDonnell says he'll serve his entire term if elected, discouraging breathless "McDonnell in 2012" commentators:

http://nbc12.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/mcdonnell-pledges-to-serve-entire-term/

Of course he'd say that -he isn't even governor yet.  He understands as well as anyone that there is no point in encouraging rumors that he plans on using his office (should he win it, which seems pretty much a fait accompli at this point) as a springboard for his ambitions.  Too premature and it would raise questions about his commitment level. 

However, I do fully expect him to run against Senator Jim Webb in 2012, barring a disastrous term.  And I imagine he fully intends to.       
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

It really shows just how badly Creigh Deeds did tonight when even Fairfax County (w/ nearly 95% of the vote in) looks like it is narrowly going for Bob McDonnell.  Tongue 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies