COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:38:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116115 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2150 on: April 19, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »

And especially given that antibodies aren't actually providing any immunity.

Some people have been passing this around, and in reality it's just alarmist propaganda. In SK, 2% of COVID cases reactivated after people tested negative, but there's no evidence that you can actually re-contract the virus.

And those could have just been false negative tests to begin with. The false negative rate is pretty high, so even with a second confirmatory test, 2% false negative is not unsurprising.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2151 on: April 19, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »

NY had the lowest number of new cases today since March 25. A little bit of weekend effect maybe but of course much lower than previous Sundays, too.

Comparing to the same day in the previous week helps to remove day-of-week reporting irregularities, so this is encouraging.  If the same trend holds up for a few days (i.e. tomorrow is less than last Monday, etc.) it will be a strong sign that NY has indeed passed the peak.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2152 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »

WTF ?

How selfish can you be ?

Apparently, the Trump scum thinks a virus only affects themselves and nobody else.

Let's not be too judgemental here. Times are very tough, and I'm sure this lady and many others really need the money they're being paid for this.

In case the exceptionally well-done sign and facemask removed for the photo-op are insufficiently persuasive, here's The Guardian:
The rightwing groups behind wave of protests against Covid-19 restrictions
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2153 on: April 19, 2020, 01:38:52 PM »

Regarding protesters...if they don't adhere to the 6 feet rule, they should be arrested.

Disgusting.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2154 on: April 19, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »

Regarding protesters...if they don't adhere to the 6 feet rule, they should be arrested.

Disgusting.
“Disgusting to arrest people for breaking the law.”
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2155 on: April 19, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2020, 01:47:52 PM by Forumlurker »

I unironically think people who repeatedly break social distancing orders should be identified and denied an ICU bed/ventilator in advance (if there is a shortage) It would help with shortages and would punish criminals in one move. Natural consequences and personal responsibility, right?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2156 on: April 19, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »

I unironically think people who repeatedly break social distancing orders should be identified and denied an ICU bed/ventilator in advance (if there is a shortage) It would help with shortages and would punish criminals in one move. Natural consequences and personal responsibility, right?

Thankfully we have the 8th Amendment
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2157 on: April 19, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »

I mean hospitals already have to decide who to save when there is a shortage, why should criminals get a free pass while innocent Americans die?

Like I get why this policy doesn’t exist because of possible abuse, but in theory everyone should support it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2158 on: April 19, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2020, 02:08:39 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Disgusting.

As they let thieves and drug dealers OUT of jail and are hesitant to arrest for most other crimes. They really aren't even pulling people over for speeding. Yeah, its disgusting to focus on criminalizing obvious first amendment protected activities.

Plus you really aren't gonna convince me that protesting is merely "breaking the law".

Any cop doing so should be publicly shamed just like any doctor punitively denying medical care to people for protesting should at minimum never be allowed to practice medicine again and ideally should go to jail. People advocating for denying medical care to protesters are some words I won't type out or else Id get infracted.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2159 on: April 19, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2020, 02:07:08 PM by Skill and Chance »

I mean hospitals already have to decide who to save when there is a shortage, why should criminals get a free pass while innocent Americans die?

Like I get why this policy doesn’t exist because of possible abuse, but in theory everyone should support it.

We are building so much so quickly that we shouldn't have to worry about a medical shortage anymore.  The one possible exception is if a large population state turns into a total free for all next month.  Texas, where much of the concern was initially focused, is actually taking a very gradual approach following medical advice.  The one place I am seriously concerned about about this happening is Florida. 

Regardless, no one should be categorically denied medical treatment.  In the event of a shortage, the treatment must always be directed first at those who are most likely to medically benefit from it. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2160 on: April 19, 2020, 01:57:28 PM »

Does your line of thinking extend to the entirety of the incarcerated population?  Should we deny medical treatment to all convicted murderers, rapists and thieves currently serving prison terms, for COVID-19 or other conditions?  Or is your position that only people who don't adhere to your specific, ridiculous brand of chicken little alarmism be denied hospital treatment?

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2161 on: April 19, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »

Disgusting.

As they let thieves and drug dealers OUT of jail and are hesitant to arrest for most other crimes. Yeah, its disgusting.

Plus you really aren't gonna convince me that protesting is merely "breaking the law".
Fair enough, I don’t support letting criminals out either, even with the virus. And protesting when breaking social distancing is breaking the law.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2162 on: April 19, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »

Does your line of thinking extend to the entirety of the incarcerated population?  Should we deny medical treatment to all convicted murderers, rapists and thieves currently serving prison terms, for COVID-19 or other conditions?  Or is your position that only people who don't adhere to your specific, ridiculous brand of chicken little alarmism be denied hospital treatment?

In the event of a ventilator shortage, yes, criminals should not get a free pass. Law-abiding Americans should be prioritized for ventilators and ICU beds.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2163 on: April 19, 2020, 02:03:30 PM »

Governors need to start taking matters into their own hands by seizing manufacturing plants and forcing them to produce tests.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2164 on: April 19, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »

NY had the lowest number of new cases today since March 25. A little bit of weekend effect maybe but of course much lower than previous Sundays, too.

Comparing to the same day in the previous week helps to remove day-of-week reporting irregularities, so this is encouraging.  If the same trend holds up for a few days (i.e. tomorrow is less than last Monday, etc.) it will be a strong sign that NY has indeed passed the peak.

Agreed. NY also reported only 507 deaths today, which is the lowest number of daily deaths since April 2 (again, significantly down from the past two Sundays).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2165 on: April 19, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »

In the event of a ventilator shortage, yes, criminals should not get a free pass. Law-abiding Americans should be prioritized for ventilators and ICU beds.

I think you've really gone off the rails here.  1. The number of false convictions is not zero.  2. The number of people who are convicted of a more serious crime and/or given a harsher sentence because of racial bias is even higher.  This would come into play if you were using e.g. felony convictions as the cutoff for such a rule.  3. People in jails and prisons are at much higher risk than society at large.  Many are literally stuck in county jails simply because they are too poor to pay bail and have never been convicted of anything.  4.  There are also many rightfully convicted people who have nonetheless successfully reformed and will contribute to society and never commit another crime after they are released. 

We don't get to play God with their lives!

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2166 on: April 19, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »

This thread has taken an unexpected turn:

All images from The Dark Knight by Warners Bros. Entertainment Inc (C)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2167 on: April 19, 2020, 02:22:38 PM »

I think you've really gone off the rails here.  1. The number of false convictions is not zero.  2. The number of people who are convicted of a more serious crime and/or given a harsher sentence because of racial bias is even higher.  This would come into play if you were using e.g. felony convictions as the cutoff for such a rule.  3. People in jails and prisons are at much higher risk than society at large.  Many are literally stuck in county jails simply because they are too poor to pay bail and have never been convicted of anything.  4.  There are also many rightfully convicted people who have nonetheless successfully reformed and will contribute to society and never commit another crime after they are released. 

Technically not interfering with their natural immune response by intubating/using human drugs on them is the opposite of playing god. Besides, who should we not intubate in the event of a medical shortage?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2168 on: April 19, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »

Disgusting.

Illegal immigration.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2169 on: April 19, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »

Disgusting.

Illegal immigration.

I support arresting people for breaking the law and I also support deporting every single illegal immigrant.

Try harder.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2170 on: April 19, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »

Technically not interfering with their natural immune response by intubating/using human drugs on them is the opposite of playing god. Besides, who should we not intubate in the event of a medical shortage?

The people least likely to survive even with intubation based on evaluation by a team of doctors with frontline experience treating the disease. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2171 on: April 19, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »

Those Trumptards with their guns, rifles and machine guns on the steps of the MI state capitol should be arrested for violating the law, for not wearing masks and for endangering others with their stupid actions. But before that ... they should be hosed down by a water cannon truck.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2172 on: April 19, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »

Disgusting.

Illegal immigration.
I have no moral objections to deporting illegal immigrants. I would be sure to ensure the jobs they had are filled by Americans before deportations, for practical reasons.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2173 on: April 19, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »

Those Trumptards with their guns, rifles and machine guns on the steps of the MI state capitol should be arrested for violating the law, for not wearing masks and for endangering others with their stupid actions. But before that ... they should be hosed down by a water cannon truck.

What the hell are u talking about Bull Connor?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2174 on: April 19, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »

Disgusting.

These people are jeopardizing their own lives, the lives of their loved ones, the lives of first responders who now have to be around them to make sure things stay civil, and the lives of those first responders’ loved ones.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies