Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY* (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY* (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 100983 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: September 13, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »

It appears Feinstein has been sitting on this letter for weeks, if it were serious she would have passed on much earlier or she would have asked him about it during the hearings. This is a sad hail-mary to attempt to delay his confirmation or gin up support from her idiot base

Maybe she just received it? If it's a letter from a woman who knew Kavanaugh in high school claiming bad behavior, not unrealistic that the woman didn't reach out until the confirmation hearings were already in process, not understanding that that was far too to make any real difference.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »

It's all up to Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins and Jeff Flake. They are the people who will or will not make Brett Kavanaugh a Supreme Court Justice.

I just read the NY Times article on Murkowksi's thinking re: this nomination & the allegations & I don't know, maybe it's just a gut feeling but I think the 3 of them vote him down.

Agree, maybe +Corker. Although it's still unclear whether McConnell lets Kavanaugh come to a vote at all (despite his current posturing); maybe so, in order to shore up Collins for 2020 when she votes No, but maybe not, to avoid the embarrassment of the vote failing.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »

If Trump continues to double down, it won't matter if Kav is rejected in an up-or-down vote.  The fact that the President, certain Senators, certain Senatorial candidates, etc. stood by him, will be used in ads across the country.  The damage has been done.

Agreed. The only winner from a failed vote on the Republican side is Susan Collins (assuming she votes No), and, even then, only if she plans to seek reelection in 2020.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »

I still believe that Republicans will find a way to confirm Kavanaugh.

I think this new affidavit makes the stakes much more serious for Kavanaugh. At this point, losing a SC seat is not his biggest potential loss. His reputation is shredded and his existing court seat and possibly freedom are at risk. He needs to seriously consider getting himself out of the news.

Right - on the basis of this affidavit, Maryland police could put a warrant out for his arrest given the lack of a statute of limitations on rape and accessory crimes in Maryland. I don't know that they will, but I have to assume the grandstanding Avenatti is at least in contact with someone in Maryland law enforcement.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »

Well...

Willing to bet Lindsay Graham and Orrin Hatch have as much to hide as Kavanaugh.

Well, Lindsay Graham has likely never had sex with a woman in his entire life.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »

Does seem kind of weird to me at least that a woman would keep going to such parties.

I know this is now the de facto line of defense after this morning's affidavit, but it's completely ignorant as to how youth parties work even in the 2010s. Did none of you attend a frat party in college?

No, and if gang rapes are normal at such events and even the women treat it nonchalantly I'm even more glad I didn't.

I'm honestly pretty concerned that if gang rapes were common at the frat parties IndustrialJustice attended, why didn't he report them?
The police wouldn't care. This kind of conduct is probably seen as too accepted, for lack of a better word, to have anything done about it. The police are awful about sexual assault. You'd be amazed what some people don't talk about.

And I think industrial should get a chance to clarify what he said

There's nothing to clarify. They're trolling. Date rape drugs are rampant on college campuses, and they're concentrated in Greek life. You can bust a few members a year or, if the administration is lucky, even ban a frat, but they'll just pop up again like fresh grass (often thanks to old money). I never stepped foot in one of those dungeons again after my first month on campus.

As someone who was actually in a sorority in college, and attended many frat parties on my campus and when visiting other schools, I can guarantee I've never been to a single party or even heard of a single party where gang rapes were happening, or even where date rape drugs were commonly used aside from the one or two scummy people who were kicked out as soon as they were caught. And considering there are several posters on this forum who were involved in Greek life while in college, it's pretty disgusting that you're making the assumption that it's common for frat boys to use date rape drugs or engage in gang rape.

I do think the culture in this regard has improved significantly today as compared to colleges in the 80s and 90s, along with social attitudes towards women and rape more generally.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

Kavanaugh has a 4th accuser now...woman says he pushed her against a wall

BREAKING: Senate Judiciary Commitee probing new allegation of physical assault against Kavanaugh

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's anonymous, though, so won't get any traction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies