Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:47:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 101711 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: September 26, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1251 on: September 26, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1252 on: September 26, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »

Jeff Flake...Flaked, as per usual.

I hope he does the right thing.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1253 on: September 26, 2018, 12:34:09 PM »

I'm just wondering, but is Cory Gardner really going to vote for Kavanaugh? He represents what is effectively a blue state now (full of white college graduates and only getting bluer), and this vote is going to kill him in 2020. This isn't something mundane like documents, this is about sexual assault and evidently now, gang rape.

And for that matter, Tillis should really be thinking this over too.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1254 on: September 26, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »

Jeff Flake...Flaked, as per usual.

I hope he does the right thing.

Jeff Flake is a reverse eponym.
JG

« Reply #1255 on: September 26, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »

I'm just wondering, but is Cory Gardner really going to vote for Kavanaugh? He represents what is effectively a blue state now (full of white college graduates and only getting bluer), and this vote is going to kill him in 2020. This isn't something mundane like documents, this is about sexual assault and evidently now, gang rape.

Gardner only said he supports a senate investigation into Ford and Ramirez's claims.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1256 on: September 26, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

For whatever reason, Republican politicians are way more scared of losing primaries than general elections, even though the latter happens much more often.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #1257 on: September 26, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »

I really hope at least Collins and Murkowski do the right thing. This whole thing is making me sick.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1258 on: September 26, 2018, 01:09:20 PM »

Oh boy, it's gonna get worse:

This’ll be fun. Even before the hearings tomorrow.

If the Orange Buffoon takes "personal charge" of K's SC destiny, then K is surely done.
Anything that moron touches becomes a complete disaster.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1259 on: September 26, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2018, 01:26:32 PM by shua »

Theory: Kavanaugh is claiming to be a choir boy virgin in high school despite all the evidence to the contrary because that's what he told his wife he was like back then and doesn't want to admit to a decades old lie to her.

He never claimed to be a choir boy. He never claimed he didn't drink regularly. He never claimed he didn't act like an idiot. What he claimed is he was a virgin, he didn't assault anyone or participate in any assaults on anyone, and he never drank in such a way that he couldn't remember what happened after.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1260 on: September 26, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »

Does seem kind of weird to me at least that a woman would keep going to such parties.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1261 on: September 26, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »

I really hope at least Collins and Murkowski do the right thing. This whole thing is making me sick.

Not sure where this hope comes from, since they certainly don't have a history of doing the right thing yet.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1262 on: September 26, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »

If Flake or any other Republican joins all the Dems on the Judiciary Committee to vote it down in committee, then is that the end of it?  Or can McConnell move it to a vote of the full Senate even if the committee votes it down?  (Whether he'd want to if it looks like he's going to lose is a separate question.)
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #1263 on: September 26, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »

If Flake or any other Republican joins all the Dems on the Judiciary Committee to vote it down in committee, then is that the end of it?  Or can McConnell move it to a vote of the full Senate even if the committee votes it down?  (Whether he'd want to if it looks like he's going to lose is a separate question.)

The committee vote is a formality, it doesn't actually matter.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #1264 on: September 26, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »

My understanding is that McConnell can bring it to a floor vote even without the Judicial Committee's recommendation.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #1265 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »

My understanding is that McConnell can bring it to a floor vote even without the Judicial Committee's recommendation.

Which he undoubtedly will.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #1266 on: September 26, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »

Does seem kind of weird to me at least that a woman would keep going to such parties.

I know this is now the de facto line of defense after this morning's affidavit, but it's completely ignorant as to how youth parties work even in the 2010s. Did none of you attend a frat party in college?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1267 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2018, 01:43:54 PM by pppolitics »

I know this is now the de facto line of defense after this morning's affidavit, but it's completely ignorant as to how youth parties work even in the 2010s. Did none of you attend a frat party in college?

I went to a sh**t tons of them last year.

My University is pretty infamous for parties.

I hope nobody I know at my University goes on to become Supreme Court justice because I don't really want to be called on to testify as a witness.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1268 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »

Which he undoubtedly will.

If McConnell can't get a commitment of all the Republicans on the Committee that they'll vote yes, I think he'll delay the committee vote until he does.  There'd be too much pressure on swing state Republicans to vote no if it's clear there's no unified front and the opposition can't be dismissed as partisan.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1269 on: September 26, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »

Kavanaugh's support is collapsing:

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1270 on: September 26, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »

These were McConnell's floor remarks today:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

----------------

On the committee stuff: The committee will first entertain a motion to report the nomination favorably. If this fails, the committee will then entertain a motion to report the nomination with no recommendation. If this fails, the committee will then entertain a motion to report the nomination with an unfavorable recommendation. All that the nomination needs to proceed is to succeed on any one of these motions, and only if all three fail would it be held up in committee indefinitely.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1271 on: September 26, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »

I love Avenatti's response here.
He is not a coward to call the Orange Buffoon out for what he truly is.
"Let's Go."
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1272 on: September 26, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »

Kavanaugh's support is collapsing:

and this was conducted Sept. 20-23. There could have been further movement since then.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #1273 on: September 26, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

For whatever reason, Republican politicians are way more scared of losing primaries than general elections, even though the latter happens much more often.

The latter happens much more often specifically because they're so scared of losing in primaries that they do what they need to do to win them, in general.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1274 on: September 26, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »

No, and if gang rapes are normal at such events and even the women treat it nonchalantly I'm even more glad I didn't.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies