Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:51:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 100988 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2018, 12:58:20 AM »

What disturbs me most about Brett Kavanaugh is not so much what he would do with Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, or his pro-corporate rulings, but his support for what is essentially an imperial presidency without accountability.  

BREAKING: A criminal complaint and judicial ethics complaint are being filed against Kavanaugh for perjury in Congressional testimony — and LOOK WHO’S REVIEWING IT! Happy Saturday, everyone! #MerrickGarland #CancelKavanaugh #StopKavanaugh #BlockBrett

https://twitter.com/kristinminkdc/status/1038396317830193153?s=21

Is this going anywhere?

I suppose it's possible but

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »

What disturbs me most about Brett Kavanaugh is not so much what he would do with Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, or his pro-corporate rulings, but his support for what is essentially an imperial presidency without accountability.  

What is the evidence for this?

Kavanough made it clear that he doesn't support investigations of a President so long as they remain in office, as well as refusing to recuse himself from any case involving the Mueller investigation. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »

Kavanough made it clear that he doesn't support investigations of a President so long as they remain in office, as well as refusing to recuse himself from any case involving the Mueller investigation. 

You have to quality that.  Investigation by the executive branch might be problematic; investigation by the legislative branch seems okay with him. 
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

Kavanough made it clear that he doesn't support investigations of a President so long as they remain in office aren't a Democrat, as well as refusing to recuse himself from any case involving the Mueller investigation. 

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406041-collins-calls-crowdfunding-to-get-her-to-oppose-kavanaugh-a-bribe

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »

It should not be a secret at this point that Collins will vote for Kavanaugh. I read an article somewhere which stated that she has never voted against any Supreme Court nominee during her 21 years in the Senate.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »

Not that it matters

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »

If their was any doubt that collins would vote to confirm Kavanaugh it was put to rest when the resistance idiots attempted to bribe her and then threatened her staff.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »

If their was any doubt that collins would vote to confirm Kavanaugh it was put to rest when the resistance idiots attempted to bribe her and then threatened her staff.

Promising to donate to her opponent is not a bribe. It is a threat. One that is quite legal in our plutocracy, to the best of my understanding.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »

Promising to donate to her opponent is not a bribe. It is a threat. One that is quite legal in our plutocracy, to the best of my understanding.

It's actually pretty much what the Supreme Court mandated: Money is Speech. 

Susan Collins is an extremist right wing reactionary who doesn't like to be challenged.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: September 12, 2018, 01:00:43 PM »

Why in the world are we accepting her idiotic definition of bribe?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »

Let's vote Collins out in 2020. Sadly there are no more real Rockefeller Republicans left; we ought to replace as many people as possible with an R through people with a D nest to their name. Not that Collins' nay vote would have mattered anyway. To prevent the confirmation, Lisa Murkowski also must vote no in addition to all Democrats. And Manchin will vote yes, just as Heitkamp and maybe Donnelly.

Democrats best hope is that Trump gets thrown out of office in 2020 and Ginsburg and Breyer make it through. If Democrats manage to keep the White House for eight or twelve years, Alito or Thomas might step down and we have 5-4 liberal majority.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »

Susan Collins is an extremist right wing reactionary who doesn't like to be challenged.

lmao so Susan Collins is an extremist while Ocasio-Cortez is Center-Left hahahahahahaha
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »

Either Collins is retiring in 2020 or she really is oblivious to how precarious a situation her political career is in. She's pissed off Republicans to the point she may very well lose her primary, and if she does survive she has to somehow win over all the democrats shes pissing off now. I know its tricky finding a happy middle, but Collins seems to have given up entirely on finding it.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2018, 02:17:49 PM »

Either Collins is retiring in 2020 or she really is oblivious to how precarious a situation her political career is in. She's pissed off Republicans to the point she may very well lose her primary, and if she does survive she has to somehow win over all the democrats shes pissing off now. I know its tricky finding a happy middle, but Collins seems to have given up entirely on finding it.
You are deluding yourself if you think kavanaugh will matter in 2020, you'll throw a long temper tantrum but once he gets confirmed you'll find another shiny object, just like how all of you have forgotten about children at the border
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »

You are deluding yourself if you think kavanaugh will matter in 2020, you'll throw a long temper tantrum but once he gets confirmed you'll find another shiny object, just like how all of you have forgotten about children at the border

It's nice of you to admit openly like this that you're a moral degenerate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »

Putting the morality aside, he's absolutely right. Kavanaugh will be forgotten a month after he's confirmed by the vast majority of people once they see a new shiny object (and there are plenty thrown about every week by the clown in the White House.)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »

Such hostility. Lol.

Maybe go take a break or something since your clearly having an emotional reaction to all this.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

Putting the morality aside, he's absolutely right. Kavanaugh will be forgotten a month after he's confirmed by the vast majority of people once they see a new shiny object (and there are plenty thrown about every week by the clown in the White House.)

It really depends. If no major cases get decided on, yes, no one will remember. If Roe V. Wade gets overturned, you can bet Collins will get barraged with attacks for voting for the justice who let's it happen.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »

It really depends. If no major cases get decided on, yes, no one will remember. If Roe V. Wade gets overturned, you can bet Collins will get barraged with attacks for voting for the justice who let's it happen.

This^

Any decision restricting Roe, Obergefell, etc. will be laid at her feet.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »

The 3rd justice will be even more fun.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »

Citizens United as I understand it specifically left the door open for bans on quid pro quo political spending.  I don't think the Court would find against this group but would make for an interesting case.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »

BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #298 on: September 12, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »

The 3rd justice will be even more fun.

He'll probably get to replace Thomas before 2020. But there wont be nearly as much of a fight since his replacement wont change the makeup of the court.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: September 12, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »

Citizens United as I understand it specifically left the door open for bans on quid pro quo political spending.  I don't think the Court would find against this group but would make for an interesting case.

But this isn’t quid pro quo spending.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies