Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:49:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 101753 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »

Second Panel began at 10:05 AM. Things moving along very quickly today.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »

Second Panel clocked in much longer at over 2 hours. Third Panel on when the committee returns from Lunch.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »

Third Panel finishes in 1 hour, 38 minutes. Final Panel on now.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »

Panels seem to be going rather quickly, I guess it's less of an opportunity to grandstand and invoke Spartacus
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »

Panels seem to be going rather quickly, I guess it's less of an opportunity to grandstand and invoke Spartacus

Yeah, and everyone wants to go home for the 5 day weekend Congress is getting thanks to Rosh Hashanah
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2018, 06:24:31 PM »

Final Panel took just shy of an hour and a half for those keeping track.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »

I thought the "Spartacus" meme thing was just people making fun of Booker for the silly spectacle he made, but I just learned he actually said it about himself.  What a douchebag!  Nobody in his staff is smart enough to know that was a stupid thing to do (nevermind the lies he said)?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »

Kinda shows the state we are in politically that Kavanaugh who is the most unpopular nom since Bork and has been caught lying under oath about his knowledge about of the emai scandal is going to get rushed in with ease
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2018, 09:05:22 AM by 136or142 »

I thought the "Spartacus" meme thing was just people making fun of Booker for the silly spectacle he made, but I just learned he actually said it about himself.  What a douchebag!  Nobody in his staff is smart enough to know that was a stupid thing to do (nevermind the lies he said)?

Not as big a douchebag as the idiot Trump supporters.

The only reason to believe Booker 'lied' is that a Republican staffer in these farce of a hearing claims that Booker was informed in advance.  Yet, it's obvious from the back and forth (which you obviously haven't seen) that Senator Cornyn was not aware these documents had been declassified in the dead of night.  So, why should we believe that Booker actually was informed?

On the other hand, we have Kavanaugh caught out lying under oath with no way around that and the idiot Trump cultists and the other idiot Republicans don't care in the slightest about that.

Not only are they idiots, they are sleazy hypocrites.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »

hey, I kind of like Booker, he's better than Trump, WAY better.....does that make you feel better?  It shouldn't.  Many millions of people in prison are better than Trump.  There are deadbeat dad's that are better humans that Trump.  The "Spartacus" thing was stupid.

but yeah, Trump is worse.  Keep repeating that mantra.  It's been working great so far.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2018, 05:36:11 PM »

hey, I kind of like Booker, he's better than Trump, WAY better.....does that make you feel better?  It shouldn't.  Many millions of people in prison are better than Trump.  There are deadbeat dad's that are better humans that Trump.  The "Spartacus" thing was stupid.

but yeah, Trump is worse.  Keep repeating that mantra.  It's been working great so far.

The "Spartacus" thing was stupid, the claim that it's stupid because Booker was lying seems to be based on the word of one Republican Committee staffer.  Anybody who takes the word of a Republican Committee Staffer seriously is an idiot.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »

The "Spartacus" thing was stupid, the claim that it's stupid because Booker was lying seems to be based on the word of one Republican Committee staffer.  Anybody who takes the word of a Republican Committee Staffer seriously is an idiot.
Do you really think he thought he was putting his Senate career on the line?  That seems very unlikely to me.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2018, 06:01:16 PM by 136or142 »

The "Spartacus" thing was stupid, the claim that it's stupid because Booker was lying seems to be based on the word of one Republican Committee staffer.  Anybody who takes the word of a Republican Committee Staffer seriously is an idiot.
Do you really think he thought he was putting his Senate career on the line?  That seems very unlikely to me.

Senator Cornyn clearly did.

I don't think Booker was all that worried because he knows it would take 67 votes to have him removed from the Senate, not because he knew the documents had been declassified in the dead of night.  In that way, he was calling the Republicans bluff.

Would I call that a genuine 'profile in courage'?  No

But, it's certainly much more than the fawning that some Republicans are giving Ben Sasse because he made some silly anodyne speech that was interpreted by some as being Anti Trump.

Because the Republicans have only a 51-49 majority in the Senate, Ben Sasse does potentially have real power unlike Booker, yet all his threat is is 'if you don't change, I'll deliver another speech!'
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »

After considering the Testimony of outside Witnesses, I have decided to urge Senators to oppose this nomination on any and all revelant votes taken. In addition to the concerns expressed earlier, Witnesses raised new doubts regarding Kavanaugh's view on the right to vote and made clear that Kavanaugh's addition to the court would result in the most pro-presidential power court since World War 2. I also take seriously remaining doubts about Kavanaugh's position on U.S. v. Nixon expressed by John Dean. Also, while there remains no smoking gun on the perjury thing, I have become aware that the documentation Kavanaugh possessed was being actively investigated for possible theft at the time, lowering the chances of him having forgotten about the incident completely as he claims.

I encourage Trump to withdraw this nomination and select either Kevin Newsom or David Stras. Both would have my strong support.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2018, 11:45:40 PM »

In the Anderson Cooper interview, Booker never denies that he was told before the Spartacus moment on Thursday that the documents had been cleared, but says he had already released them the night before.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »

*Puts on Wulfric hat*

I am opposing Brett Kavanaugh's nomination mainly on the grounds of his views on executive power, and that this could the equivalent of a situation where the person on trial chooses his own judge. While I can agree that Kavanaugh has an otherwise impressive record as a lawyer, he appears too partisan on an already very partisan Supreme Court. The court needs to have more consensus Justices on it.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »

*Puts on Wulfric hat*

I am opposing Brett Kavanaugh's nomination mainly on the grounds of his views on executive power, and that this could the equivalent of a situation where the person on trial chooses his own judge. While I can agree that Kavanaugh has an otherwise impressive record as a lawyer, he appears too partisan on an already very partisan Supreme Court. The court needs to have more consensus Justices on it.

It needs to have more neutral and objective Justices on it. But yeah, I agree with the "appears too partisan on an already very partisan Supreme Court" statement.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

BREAKING: A criminal complaint and judicial ethics complaint are being filed against Kavanaugh for perjury in Congressional testimony — and LOOK WHO’S REVIEWING IT! Happy Saturday, everyone! #MerrickGarland #CancelKavanaugh #StopKavanaugh #BlockBrett

https://twitter.com/kristinminkdc/status/1038396317830193153?s=21
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »

BREAKING: A criminal complaint and judicial ethics complaint are being filed against Kavanaugh for perjury in Congressional testimony — and LOOK WHO’S REVIEWING IT! Happy Saturday, everyone! #MerrickGarland #CancelKavanaugh #StopKavanaugh #BlockBrett

Please let this be sweet poetic justice.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »

Private individuals/orgs don't file federal criminal complaints.
http://www.uscourts.gov/faqs-filing-case#faq-How-do-I-file-a-criminal-case?

Garland and Kavanaugh worked together pretty closely.  If there were an actual case here would he recuse himself?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2018, 06:26:43 PM »

Please let this be sweet poetic justice.

It would be more poetic if it were for Gorsuch, but delayed justice is still justice.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #271 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »

“If you want to pick judges, win elections.”
"Obama won".
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #272 on: September 10, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »

What disturbs me most about Brett Kavanaugh is not so much what he would do with Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, or his pro-corporate rulings, but his support for what is essentially an imperial presidency without accountability.  

Is this going anywhere?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »

What disturbs me most about Brett Kavanaugh is not so much what he would do with Roe vs. Wade and Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, or his pro-corporate rulings, but his support for what is essentially an imperial presidency without accountability.  
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: September 11, 2018, 12:14:01 AM »

What is the evidence for this?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies