Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:41:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 136968 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:15 AM »

Yeah, still not feeling this hype. He came off as a condescending elitist snob at the debate and was praised for it by the media, but Castro was lambasted as being "too nasty" when he did it to Biden. He hasn't proposed any serious or game-changing policy proposals and he's super uninspiring. The hype is that he's a cute gay vet with a hubby.

His lack of black support is why his campaign is doomed.

Ditto Warren....

Warren? The candidate that has more black support than your fave? K.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #801 on: October 21, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »

Yeah, still not feeling this hype. He came off as a condescending elitist snob at the debate and was praised for it by the media, but Castro was lambasted as being "too nasty" when he did it to Biden. He hasn't proposed any serious or game-changing policy proposals and he's super uninspiring. The hype is that he's a cute gay vet with a hubby.

His lack of black support is why his campaign is doomed.

Warren isn’t polling 0% with AAs.
Ditto Warren....

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #802 on: October 22, 2019, 12:09:30 AM »

This pretty much ties "The Russians want Gabbard" for most damning thing I've seen thrown at any D candidate this cycle.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #803 on: October 22, 2019, 12:14:11 AM »

This pretty much ties "The Russians want Gabbard" for most damning thing I've seen thrown at any D candidate this cycle.

Misleading headline.  Some high-up people at Facebook wanted to join the Buttigieg campaign and asked Zuck to write a letter of recommendation for them.  Standard Operating Procedure in the 'real adults who work' world.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #804 on: October 22, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »

SSM is still an issue for Buttigieg whether its for Prez or Veep, he will place 2nd in the primaries
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #805 on: October 22, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »

Misleading headline.  Some high-up people at Facebook wanted to join the Buttigieg campaign and asked Zuck to write a letter of recommendation for them.  Standard Operating Procedure in the 'real adults who work' world.

At least from the Bloomberg article, it appears more like this was:

The CEO of Facebook and his wife sent a deluge of emails with lists of potential employees to Buttigieg's campaign manager, two of whom were later hired, rather than,

a couple Facebook employees sent the Buttigieg campaign resumes, including getting letters of recommendation from the CEO and his wife.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #806 on: October 22, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »

At least from the Bloomberg article, it appears more like this was:

The CEO of Facebook and his wife sent a deluge of emails with lists of potential employees to Buttigieg's campaign manager, two of whom were later hired, rather than,

a couple Facebook employees sent the Buttigieg campaign resumes, including getting letters of recommendation from the CEO and his wife.

I mean, it's gross, but I'm sure Warren, Sanders, Biden, and any other candidate you can name hired some of their staff the same way through equivalent special interest folks backing them.
Thread
« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »

President Buttigieg.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #808 on: October 22, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »

Seems worth noting:

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article236516903.html
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #809 on: October 22, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »

Wow, only one person in their focus groups was even considering him? That's...damning. But I think now that he's established his sexuality, he can try to pivot from that to try to make up some ground with black voters, no? I don't know why he hasn't touted the Douglass Plan as heavily as his Medicare For All Who Want It plan. He really needs a black surrogate.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #810 on: October 22, 2019, 12:45:21 PM »

If he continues to run a viable campaign, I believe Rev. Jackson's endorsement may be forthcoming.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #811 on: October 22, 2019, 12:59:58 PM »

If he continues to run a viable campaign, I believe Rev. Jackson's endorsement may be forthcoming.

I was thinking more like Juice Wrld or Lil Yachty but sure
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #812 on: October 22, 2019, 11:58:35 PM »

Tonight's Democratic debate on Late Night with Seth Meyers featured zero questions for Mayor Pete.  I'm pissed!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #813 on: October 24, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2019, 03:03:59 PM by #NeverPete »

Congratulations, Pete. You've now joined Gabbard in the "under no circumstances" club.

If I wanted Republicans on the Supreme Court, I'd vote for Donald Trump.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #814 on: October 24, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »

Congratulations, Pete. You've now joined Gabbard in the "under no circumstances" club.

Yikes, Pete.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #815 on: October 24, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2019, 03:30:35 PM by Parrotguy »

His plan for a large chunk of SC seats being chosen by the Justices themselves has already been up for, like, months... If you want someome who'll pack the courts and get you some policy wins, followed by a GOP President packing the court with 10 Roy Moores, enjoy it. Right now, Buttigieg is the only one with the plan to make the American SC less of a polarized partisan war, and by the way, when the Court isn't polarized it ususally becomes a court the right hates. The fact that everyone is latching onto him mentioning Kennedy (which was a mistake) while the disastrous plan half the candidates are suggesting isn't getting scrutinized is a good representation of current politics (especially in twitter).
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #816 on: October 24, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »

His plan for a large chunk of SC seats being chosen by the Justices themselves has already been up for, like, months... If you want someome who'll pack the courts and get you some policy wins, followed by a GOP President packing the court with 10 Roy Moores, enjoy it. Right now, Buttigieg is the only one with the plan to make the American SC less of a polarized partisan war, and by the way, when the Court isn't polarized it ususally becomes a court the right hates. The fact that everyone is latching onto him mentioning Kennedy (which was a mistake) while the disastrous plan half the candidates are suggesting isn't getting scrutinized is a good representation of current politics (especially in twitter).

I'm very skeptical of all these "reform the Supreme Court" plans.

What happens when the GOP puts Brett Kavanaugh on the bench and he steadfastly refuses to approve any SC justice who isn't a hardcore right-wing partisan?

Does the court simply run with 14 justices?  Is there an interim appointee?  If so, how do you guarantee that the interim appointee isn't a partisan hack, thus motivating the GOP to constantly deny new appointments and just pack the court with interim appointees via this loophole?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #817 on: October 24, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »

I'm very skeptical of all these "reform the Supreme Court" plans.

What happens when the GOP puts Brett Kavanaugh on the bench and he steadfastly refuses to approve any SC justice who isn't a hardcore right-wing partisan?

Does the court simply run with 14 justices?  Is there an interim appointee?  If so, how do you guarantee that the interim appointee isn't a partisan hack, thus motivating the GOP to constantly deny new appointments and just pack the court with interim appointees via this loophole?

Buttigieg's plan isn't perfect, to be honest, it's just the best one out there right now because the American judiciary system beign a constant partisan fistfight is extremely unhealthy. I'd create a committee of both congresspeople, the Attorney General and several Justices (chosen by the Court) to appoint any new justices. It would take time, but I do believe it'd make the judiciary less polarized with the years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #818 on: October 24, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »

The partisan bashing of Buttigieg for saying he wants Justices like Kennedy--not because of judicial philosophy, but because the end result of his decisions was politically unpalpable--the problem. People have forgotten that no matter what your politics are, the Courts are the only thing standing between the government and every right you have, and it's in everyone's interest for this to be a professional non-partisan branch of government. It's not just Republicans, although they are certainly at rock bottom. It's also Democrats.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #819 on: October 25, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »

He's becoming a caricature of a corporate neoliberal candidate at this point.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #820 on: October 25, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »

Heaven forbid Buttigieg fundraise from people who actually work for a living.

By the way, your favorite totally objective reporter John Solomon has been in the news a lot lately:

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #821 on: October 25, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »

Heaven forbid Buttigieg fundraise from people who actually work for a living.

By the way, your favorite totally objective reporter John Solomon has been in the news a lot lately:

“Pharma lobbyists contribute to society, unlike the unwashed masses that support Bernie!” You sound like a Republican.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #822 on: October 25, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »

“Pharma lobbyists contribute to society, unlike the unwashed masses that support Bernie!” You sound like a Republican.

I didn't realize it was a contest.  If someone wants to help Pete why should Pete say "you don't contribute enough to society, get lost"?

Also I'd like to see who this "Pharma lobbyist" is.  The Sanders crowd loves to take small bits of someone's resume and exaggerate them x1000 to paint a caricature as part of their neverending smear campaign against anyone who's not Bernie.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #823 on: October 25, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »

I didn't realize it was a contest.  If someone wants to help Pete why should Pete say "you don't contribute enough to society, get lost"?

Also I'd like to see who this "Pharma lobbyist" is.  The Sanders crowd loves to take small bits of someone's resume and exaggerate them x1000 to paint a caricature as part of their neverending smear campaign against anyone who's not Bernie.

They were probably a literal pharma lobbyist. "Progressive" California Democrats had an actual pharma lobbyist as their state chair that was "elected" in 2017, but then later got MeTooed.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2019, 08:34:21 PM »

The problem with the Supreme Court isn't in its design. It's that the institution of the Supreme Court is incompatible with the present-day radicalism of the Republican Party.

It doesn't matter what Rube Goldberg contraption you use to select Justices when one of two partisan groupings is committed to acting in bad faith, because all other values have been subordinated to the ruthless pursuit of power.

This is also the problem with filibuster reform: It doesn't matter what you do with the Senate, it can't work to its intended end when the representatives from one major party have chosen to forsake the governing philosophy of the Founders for that of the Jacobins.

Agree.  Arguing in favor of abandoning "partisan warfare" on courts is tantamount to arguing in favor of unilateral disarmament.  Republicans are never going to stop nominating the most extreme people they can get their hands on whenever they're rotated into power, and if Dem presidents were to only nominate middling centrists, Republicans would win big time in the long run.  People can engage in a hypothetical debate as to whether it would be ideal if every judge was a thoughtful swing voter, but in the real world, we can't afford to cede judicial power to Federalist Society extremists.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies