Confederate Battle Flag (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:39:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Confederate Battle Flag (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What does it mean to you?
proud emblem of Southern heritage

dark symbol of slavery and segregation

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: Confederate Battle Flag  (Read 12291 times)
roadkill
Rookie
United States

« on: August 25, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

A symbol of traitors who tried to leave the United States for slavery.  Granted, the vast majority of Southern whites didn't own slaves, but (unless they individually stayed loyal to the Union) they did fight against the Union on behalf of the rights of the rich to own people.  Absolutely shameful.

Anyone who tries to argue "bbbbut it wasn't really about slavery!!1" is an apologist moron.

The fact that it's become the beloved symbol of Dixiecrats, the KKK, and other white supremacists should be a clue to the people who aren't sure...

You nailed it. Anyone who uses it as a symbol for Southern pride needs to take a good look at history and themselves. You may as well be a German flying a nazi flag as a symbol of German pride and say that the nazis weren't all bad. Completely illogical.
It is perfectly acceptable for symbols to have different meanings for different people.  I grew up in the South and for the vast majority of people it is a symbol of Southern Pride.  That may sound weird to a lot of people outside of the South or the concept of Southern Pride might also sound strange.  But, growing up there it seems that the attitude of others towards the region is flatout bigoted and prejudice.  As if they expect you to apologize for being Southern.  That they think less of you for simply being Southern.  So, we become irrationally prideful of our culture and over celebrate our heritage and symbols.  It's a symptom of cultural polarization.

Having said that, no one from the South should have any misgivings or try to play ignorant about what the Confederate Battle Flag means everywhere else in the US or to non Southerns.

Also, having now lived on the East Coast for about 15 years, I have no idea what people in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and other non Southern states are doing flying it.
roadkill
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »

It's 100% totally fine to have Southern pride -- it's just not OK to express it with the flag of a bunch of people who tried to form a separate country to keep their slaves.
Is it OK for someone to celebrate their Jewish heritage by raising or waving the Israeli flag, even though it is highly offensive to the Palestinian people?
roadkill
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

It's like flying a right-facing red and black swastika and saying "well, for me, the swastika stands for German pride and heritage, plus the swastika was originally a symbol for peace," and as a guy born smack in the middle of Texas, I think I have a right to say this.

As for the Israeli flag, it's a symbol of a religion being used for a symbol of a country.
Would you have a problem with someone in India painting a swawtika on both sides of the door of their house?  Or ... how about someone flying the US flag in Vietnam? 

Are you saying religious symbols can't be offensive?  How about go and place some Islamic symbols at the 911 World Trade Center memorial.  I'm sure lots of people would be offended.  Symbols can mean different things to different people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies