Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:09:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)  (Read 92445 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 08, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »

I agree. Even if there's no actual wrongdoing on Joe's part it's the perception of elites playing by special rules that made the Clintons immensely unpopular and it contributed a lot to her losing in 2016.

On the other hand... perplexingly we're seeing this having close to no effect on Biden's polling numbers. Maybe he had such an honest reputation before this that Burisma isn't overwhelming people's priors. Maybe it is shifting people's opinions but not being reflected in polls. Maybe once we reached the general election phase people's attitudes would shift. I don't know.

Biden's relatively stable poll numbers is really the most interesting story of the entire primary so far. I've been worried about his electability and elite, insider status for months now (not just Burisma but also the Iraq War vote, quite literally being a career politician, etc.) especially given that we know Trump's playbook is going to be to dirty up his opponent and he did this mastfully against Clinton. But, I'm starting to come around to the opinion that maybe (the majority of) voters just don't care as much as we all thought.

It's too early to say with primary voters. The most persuadable people aren't thinking about the race and the other candidates have treated the issue as taboo. Most polls show at least a moderate decline in Biden's favorability among Democrats over the past year, although there are a number of factors weighing on that.

No one seems to know what to make of Biden's stable national polling numbers. I am less inclined to interpret them favorably given (1) his relatively low standing in the early primaries and Super Tuesday states outside of the South (2) that 30% is a weak showing for a former VP and (3) stagnation is not a healthy sign in the midst of a churning field.

Fortunately for Biden, his competition continues to look weak, and it has never been so divided as it has been for the past month. I have trouble imagining any of Warren, Buttigieg, Bloomberg, or even Sanders pulling a majority together against him as the field winnows.
Well no duh his favorables have decreased, he's been the victim of a media onslaught for months straight! And no, 30% in an 18 candidate primary against someone who got 45% of the vote in the last primary is not a "bad showing." I know you do not like Biden because he is a zombie or whatever, but letting it affect your predictions so heavily is not a good look.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 10:40:44 PM »

Well no duh his favorables have decreased, he's been the victim of a media onslaught for months straight!

Who hasn't been?

And no, 30% in an 18 candidate primary against someone who got 45% of the vote in the last primary is not a "bad showing."

It makes him the frontrunner, but it doesn't compare favorably against historical frontrunners, behind whom Biden also lags in endorsements and fundraising.

By the way, Sanders has run a flawed campaign and the concerns about his health are even more serious in the wake of his heart attack. 15% and a tie for second place is an embarrassing showing at this stage. If Sanders were the only remaining credible challenger, Biden would not have much about which to worry.

I know you do not like Biden because he is a zombie or whatever, but letting it affect your predictions so heavily is not a good look.

Who is making predictions?

To be clear, I don't particularly like any of the leading candidates in this cycle. But I'm not here to evangelize. You might consider doing the same.
I like Joe Biden, but I can also recognize that he is past his due date to a degree (though still the best in a fairly disappointing field). Because of this, while I do support him, it does not come from a place of deep rooted enthusiasm, and as such, I have no desire to twist reality in order to defend him. I do think, however, that he has withstood a media onslaught, similar to that of someone who is already the nominee and far more than anything experienced by anyone else, and yet his standing in the primary is unchanged and he continues to overperform Bernie by 1-2 in the general election polls.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 10:42:48 PM »

God help us if this moron gets the nomination

Joe Biden is worried the Republican Party might get 'clobbered.'

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'oh my God, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party was totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

I'm tempted to say Biden at this point is worse than Trump--while the Republican government is essentially evil at this point, Biden sees this evil, acknowledges it (by running against it) and still thinks it's an acceptable thing we should keep around.

He is. I never thought I’d say this, but if it’s between Bernie and Biden, I will refuse to vote for Biden in the general election. Giving any more credence to the Republicans as a legimitate party that is capable of governing would be worse than letting Trump get a second term to further destroy the GOP brand.

Between Bernie and Biden? Did you mean Trump?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »

God help us if this moron gets the nomination

Joe Biden is worried the Republican Party might get 'clobbered.'

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'oh my God, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party was totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

I'm tempted to say Biden at this point is worse than Trump--while the Republican government is essentially evil at this point, Biden sees this evil, acknowledges it (by running against it) and still thinks it's an acceptable thing we should keep around.

He is. I never thought I’d say this, but if it’s between Bernie and Biden, I will refuse to vote for Biden in the general election. Giving any more credence to the Republicans as a legimitate party that is capable of governing would be worse than letting Trump get a second term to further destroy the GOP brand.

Between Bernie and Biden? Did you mean Trump?

I’m operating under the assumption that the primaries unfold between Bernie and Biden. I prefer a re-elected Trump w/Democratic House to a useless four-year Biden Presidency, and it’s not even a close call. If the Supreme Court was at stake, my opinion would be different, but we’re already f—ked on that front anyway.
I strongly disagree with your positions but even assuming they are axioms, the supreme court is bad but could get way worse. TBH, I don't see RBG hanging on until 2025 but if Biden or any other dem wins in 2020, we could probably have her retire during the first month and maybe get that seat (I would not put it past republicans to hold up the seat for 4 years, but we have a better shot at filling it than we would with 4 more years of Trump.) And of course, Biden is just saying he is gonna do what Obama did not admit to, and I could see us winning in 2024 if he steps down and we get someone like Duckworth running considering the emerging sunbelt coalition.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »

I have zero interest in a Biden Presidency with a Republican senate that will inevitably block every single one of his appointments no matter what, even as he bends back over heels to cater to them. Hopefully enough Democrats agree with me for it not have to come to to a choice of lesser evils.
Unfortunately a lot of people buy this type of stuff, especially considering those voting for Biden like him due to him being moderate and associated with Obama.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:25:53 PM »

Yall think Eric Holder will endorse in this primary?

I just know Team Biden is holding some huge Black endorsements in the arsenal for (1) MLK Weekend and (2) the pivotal weeks before the SC Primary. 
That's probably the spin strategy for Biden after likely 3-4th place finishes in Iowa and New Hampshire-- release significant endorsements periodically, with them citing Biden's "beating expectations" or whatever in Iowa and NH.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »

Deeply moving clip. Really.

Biden needs to keep this up. Adding more humanity and sympathy to his campaign is a great way for him to contrast himself with Trump whose campaign will almost certainly be all about himself when it isn't about the concepts and people he hates.

Biden also really ought to include his own experiences with health care, like what dealing with Beau and his death at the hands of cancer was like.
This is gonna sound really weird, but Biden is the only candidate I can see improving his favorables in a general. I just think he has more potential to win back reluctant Democrats and hold those outside of the party who like him than someone like Bernie or Buttigieg.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 06:58:03 AM »

Biden needs to keep this up. Adding more humanity and sympathy to his campaign is a great way for him to contrast himself with Trump whose campaign will almost certainly be all about himself when it isn't about the concepts and people he hates.

Biden also really ought to include his own experiences with health care, like what dealing with Beau and his death at the hands of cancer was like.
This is gonna sound really weird, but Biden is the only candidate I can see improving his favorables in a general. I just think he has more potential to win back reluctant Democrats and hold those outside of the party who like him than someone like Bernie or Buttigieg.

That would be nice, but I can't be quite so hopeful about that because there is no doubt that Trump and the GOP are going to go scorched-earth with another character assassination campaign.
Fair point, of course. The question for me is "Is Ukraine the next email server for Dems", and I am tempted to say no considering even if you think Biden has done everything accused of, that still does not exonerate Trump's role in the scandal.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 07:07:10 AM »

I loathe the way he talks about working with Republicans but I went from being repulsed by his candidacy to..... not mad if he gets the nominee. He's been good the last few weeks.

I've been reconsidering my options with Harris out, and rumors floating that Warren will deploy her delegates to Bernie if they manage to block Joe from an outright majority.

I previously said I would support Bernie over Biden but with the actual election staring me in my face, I could NEVER support Bernie as the nominee.
Why the change of heart on Bernie?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »

That would be nice, but I can't be quite so hopeful about that because there is no doubt that Trump and the GOP are going to go scorched-earth with another character assassination campaign.
Fair point, of course. The question for me is "Is Ukraine the next email server for Dems", and I am tempted to say no considering even if you think Biden has done everything accused of, that still does not exonerate Trump's role in the scandal.

I worry that it could be, but Biden seems more impervious to criticism than Clinton was. he shares many of the same faults, yet isn't receiving nearly equivalent skepticism over them. The Republicans also didn't spend two entire decades making him the object of their hatred like they did with Clinton. So he might have that going for him.
(Also, if we are gonna be real, the dude has a dick). That and also the fact (and this is why him being so old is not as concerning to me) that he gives off a loving grandpa vibe, and not someone who people feel as comfortable attacking as a "shrill woman" like Hillary.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »

How Trump has given Biden a major campaign boost

After three years of his chaotic presidency, President Donald Trump has made nostalgia a big, bold idea among Democrats. This is one of the secrets to former Vice President Joe Biden's ongoing success in the polls. The President, with the full support of his party in Congress, has pushed politics so far off-kilter that Americans are desperately yearning for normalcy in the Oval Office.
On paper, Biden is not offering anything very dramatic. He himself embodies an older vision of the Democratic Party, in contrast to the slate of women, African Americans and Latinos who have made inroads in both the presidential race and in Congress. While his campaign has put forward a series of policy promises that aim to expand on President Barack Obama's domestic record, he often talks about a return to some kind of better past.
Biden has called for Democrats and Republicans to work together again. During the debate this week, he said that while he has "no love" for Republicans who attacked his family, "the fact is, we have to be able to get things done." Biden has frequently repeated a key tenet of his campaign: "We're in a battle for the soul of America." In doing so, he often talks about traditional American values that he respects and would champion as commander-in-chief. Even his "no malarkey" bus tour, which has been thoroughly mocked by younger generations, takes us back in time with the use of outdated slang.
Progressive critics point out that these promises evoke a past that no longer exists (and in many cases, never existed) and thus misleads voters into thinking that our country is in better shape than it is. His calls for bipartisanship, for instance, have rightly been met with deep skepticism given the radical outlook of a GOP that hasn't shown any interest in reaching across the aisle for several decades. Biden appeals to our better angels, but the Trump era has shown that those angels are too often absent from our polity.
But the criticism isn't undercutting Biden as much as it might in different times. And the reason is the President. Trump has blown up an already volatile political atmosphere with the way he governs. His vitriolic tweets, his aggressive use and abuse of presidential power, his punitive policies, his smashmouth attacks on opponents and his total disregard for the conventions and norms of Washington have created a toxic atmosphere where everything feels upended. To many Democrats, the nation is in a true state of crisis.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/21/opinions/trump-campaign-boost-for-biden-return-to-normalcy-zelizer/index.html

Yes....Biden leads in the polls not because of the demographic makeup of the primary voting electorate but because the voters hunger for bipartisanship and moderation which is something that the electorate is always thinking about. They can never get enough of that moderate-ism except when they voted for a guy like Trump who promised to build a wall, bring jobs back, and soak bullets in pigs blood before shooting Muslim terrorists. All moderate viewpoints compared to the extreme left wing insanity of universal healthcare (which has existed in Germany since Bismarck) and free college (which was the norm in the US up until the 80s).
I do not disagree with the point in general, but comparing the republican electorate to the democratic electorate is just dumb.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »

After three years of his chaotic presidency, President Donald Trump has made nostalgia a big, bold idea among Democrats. This is one of the secrets to former Vice President Joe Biden's ongoing success in the polls. The President, with the full support of his party in Congress, has pushed politics so far off-kilter that Americans are desperately yearning for normalcy in the Oval Office.
On paper, Biden is not offering anything very dramatic. He himself embodies an older vision of the Democratic Party, in contrast to the slate of women, African Americans and Latinos who have made inroads in both the presidential race and in Congress. While his campaign has put forward a series of policy promises that aim to expand on President Barack Obama's domestic record, he often talks about a return to some kind of better past.
Biden has called for Democrats and Republicans to work together again. During the debate this week, he said that while he has "no love" for Republicans who attacked his family, "the fact is, we have to be able to get things done." Biden has frequently repeated a key tenet of his campaign: "We're in a battle for the soul of America." In doing so, he often talks about traditional American values that he respects and would champion as commander-in-chief. Even his "no malarkey" bus tour, which has been thoroughly mocked by younger generations, takes us back in time with the use of outdated slang.
Progressive critics point out that these promises evoke a past that no longer exists (and in many cases, never existed) and thus misleads voters into thinking that our country is in better shape than it is. His calls for bipartisanship, for instance, have rightly been met with deep skepticism given the radical outlook of a GOP that hasn't shown any interest in reaching across the aisle for several decades. Biden appeals to our better angels, but the Trump era has shown that those angels are too often absent from our polity.
But the criticism isn't undercutting Biden as much as it might in different times. And the reason is the President. Trump has blown up an already volatile political atmosphere with the way he governs. His vitriolic tweets, his aggressive use and abuse of presidential power, his punitive policies, his smashmouth attacks on opponents and his total disregard for the conventions and norms of Washington have created a toxic atmosphere where everything feels upended. To many Democrats, the nation is in a true state of crisis.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/21/opinions/trump-campaign-boost-for-biden-return-to-normalcy-zelizer/index.html

Yes....Biden leads in the polls not because of the demographic makeup of the primary voting electorate but because the voters hunger for bipartisanship and moderation which is something that the electorate is always thinking about. They can never get enough of that moderate-ism except when they voted for a guy like Trump who promised to build a wall, bring jobs back, and soak bullets in pigs blood before shooting Muslim terrorists. All moderate viewpoints compared to the extreme left wing insanity of universal healthcare (which has existed in Germany since Bismarck) and free college (which was the norm in the US up until the 80s).
I do not disagree with the point in general, but comparing the republican electorate to the democratic electorate is just dumb.

I was talking more about the general election electorate than the primary electorate. Apparently the same people who voted for Trump in the GE of 2016 saw him as the moderate compared to Hillary Clinton whose entire campaign was dictated by consultants, pollsters, and strategists who live and breath being a moderate.is the key to electoral success
Well I would add that actual moderation is not really what makes somebody look like a moderate. It is all in relation to the median. That is why people like Bernie and Trump (obviously not comparing the two in terms of policy but their appeals are paralleled in a sense) have had a lot of success, as they have portrayed themselves as outsiders, while people like Clinton are the epitome of the establishment.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »

So, how long until Trump goes full Nixon to get Biden as his McGovern?

I always believed that Democrats would try to nominate the antithesis of Donald Trump. And additionally, there's a historical pattern of electing Presidents stylistically-opposite of their predecessors (Carter>Reagan, Bush>Clinton, Bush>Obama, Obama>Trump).

Biden would fit this pattern perfectly; aside from his demographics, he couldn't be more opposite than Trump in temperament, style, beliefs, and personality.

Same gaffes, lack of ownership to wrongdoing [see Anita Hill], and real POS kids too!
Beau was a decorated army veteran and popularly elected AG in Delaware.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »

So, how long until Trump goes full Nixon to get Biden as his McGovern?

I always believed that Democrats would try to nominate the antithesis of Donald Trump. And additionally, there's a historical pattern of electing Presidents stylistically-opposite of their predecessors (Carter>Reagan, Bush>Clinton, Bush>Obama, Obama>Trump).

Biden would fit this pattern perfectly; aside from his demographics, he couldn't be more opposite than Trump in temperament, style, beliefs, and personality.

Same gaffes, lack of ownership to wrongdoing [see Anita Hill], and real POS kids too!
Beau was a decorated army veteran and popularly elected AG in Delaware.

Yes and Tiffany T. seems to have her head on right too, and Barron is out of the spotlight. Doesn't excuse the other Trump kids.

Likewise Beau doesn't excuse Hunter.
Fair; I am no fan of Hunter. I have always thought that politicians should not be judged by the actions of their children unless they encourage their children to act in these ways overtly, which Biden, of course, has not done.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »

1 more month and the Y2K people are gonna take back Democracy and Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg are gonna be the last ones standing for the Democratic nomination for Prez and Veep. When Pete wins IA and Bernie wins NH.

This isnt drifting off topic, Biden isnt the choice of new aged generation, he is only the elders and Establishment choice, and Biden didnt want to run, and he is corrupted

The problem with your logic is that arguably a majority of Democratic primary voters either think everything has always been/is just fine or are perfectly willing to settle for breadcrumbs.

You forget, that Bloomberg is Jewish too, and any ads that he runs benefit himself and Bernie.  Conservative Latinos not just AA support Biden too, but once Biden loses a state, his invulnerability will be shattered
Wrong, Bernie will win Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn and win the primary, Bloomberg is a sellout. he did not even contest Iowa, but Biden will win like Thanos and be pres for 2022 midterms, when Toomey and McGinty win.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »

Biden's electability argument I would argue continues to erode with each passing month as his numbers continue to decline among the independent voters.

His net favourability numbers have basically converged with Sanders now whilst they were higher a few months ago, in the latest CNN poll he has now dropped below Bernie, his net fav was -8 vs -1 for Bernie. Among independents his net fav was -11 vs +2 for Bernie.

There is also the fact that the other argument people made for Biden, namely that he was polling well vs Trump has basically disappeared. In October there were 9 H2H polls an Biden's average lead was 10.2%, in November there were 2 so the sample size is to small to draw any conclusions, in December there have been 6 and Biden's lead has averaged 4.5%.

The more people see of Biden the more they dislike him, he's basically a more anaemic version of Hillary. Bernie I would say is the best candidate in the field right now that the democrats have.
In this same poll, Biden STILL did better than Bernie in the Trump H2H. I would also add that Bernie and Biden usually have identical favorables, and any edge for Bernie comes from his heightened numbers with democrats (who would vote for Biden anyway).
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 01:21:15 AM »

Biden's electability argument I would argue continues to erode with each passing month as his numbers continue to decline among the independent voters.

His net favourability numbers have basically converged with Sanders now whilst they were higher a few months ago, in the latest CNN poll he has now dropped below Bernie, his net fav was -8 vs -1 for Bernie. Among independents his net fav was -11 vs +2 for Bernie.

There is also the fact that the other argument people made for Biden, namely that he was polling well vs Trump has basically disappeared. In October there were 9 H2H polls an Biden's average lead was 10.2%, in November there were 2 so the sample size is to small to draw any conclusions, in December there have been 6 and Biden's lead has averaged 4.5%.

The more people see of Biden the more they dislike him, he's basically a more anaemic version of Hillary. Bernie I would say is the best candidate in the field right now that the democrats have.
In this same poll, Biden STILL did better than Bernie in the Trump H2H. I would also add that Bernie and Biden usually have identical favorables, and any edge for Bernie comes from his heightened numbers with democrats (who would vote for Biden anyway).

The trend over the past few months has been worse for Biden than Bernie though, and in the CNN poll, Bernie's higher numbers were not just a result of higher favourables with dems but because he was more popular with independents.
This has been the result of the Ukraine investigation, which is damage already done and was inevitable come the general. Biden has just already gotten a taste of it, while Bernie has not.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »

According to the Jacobin Magazine

This is literally just how the writer feels with no facts to back it up. This argument can be presented in a reasonable manner, but this is not it.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2019, 03:51:11 PM by You're Still Going to Vote for Biden »

Exciting stuff folks

That's right, Joe Biden, the Very Good Democrat who wants to "save" the Republican Party and thinks they "don't deserve" to be beaten "too badly" wants to choose a Republican as his running mate. But Bernie's the one who's not a real Democrat. Ok.
Bernie Sanders literally is not a democrat, he is an independent. Also, he literally said he can not think of any republicans who he would want as a VP. Looking bipartisan is not a huge political plus like it used to be, but still it does not hurt.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 11:06:06 PM »

Exciting stuff folks

That is automatically disqualifying at every level.  I turned my back on Rep. Henry Cuellar for it, and I will do the same for Joe Biden.  I have no interest in 'bipartisanship' with the monster otherwise known as the 'Republican Party'.  If he thinks that will win over voters in the middle, more power to him, but I am finished with him.  I can overlook his slights toward younger voters (much as it rankles me), but this is a deal-breaker.   
We have been over this quote dude, it was taken out of context.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 10:21:12 PM »

If only A POLL COULD CONFIRM THIS.....
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 10:33:34 PM »

Biden might look OK whenever the next real poll out of Iowa drops, but that Politico article is fluff.

National fundraising has little relevance to his standing there. Endorsements? Tom Vilsack last won an election nearly two decades ago, and Finkenauer was Biden's 2008 volunteer coordinator. His "successful" bus tour was most memorable for the town hall in which he freaked out on an obese man, challenging him to both an IQ test and a push-up contest.

When the case for a candidate's "prospects looking up" involves sending John Kerry and Keisha Lance Bottoms on a game-changing bus tour across Iowa, maybe it's time to wait on that characterization.
Have to agree with this. Seriously, what was the point of this article?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 11:04:51 PM »

Excellent speech. My favorite part is when he moved his lips in conjunction with the vibrating noise in his larynx to assemble sounds which are recognized as words. His words were plentiful with a rich vocabulary known as speech and they connote deeper meanings in the form of assembled sentences and voters loves sentences because they speak sentences too. Biden also stood there and the American voters relate to a man who stands. With his 2 feet and standing ability... he stands tall. All day long, from the time they wake up, voters stand and Biden stands with them by standing tall via standing and voters love tall candidates who stand like they do.

Biden may be a simple man of low intellect but he knows how to sound tough and wave his hands like the body language experts he hires tell him to in order to prey upon peoples cognitive biases by looking tougher than you really are. Biden's speech is a reminder to all Americans that if you speak words, stand tall, and use body language then you too can be taken seriously on things you kno nothing about.
The whole "low intellect" thing is pretty dumb. Sure, Biden is no Warren or Buttigieg, but it is clear that he knows what he is doing when it comes to government whether you agree with him or not. Honestly, no one who has risen to this level of political success is likely to have "low intellect". I was never an Obama guy but he was decidedly not that, as was Clinton.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »

Biden campaigned on raising the retirement age in 2007. He served in the Obama administration as it chased after a futile grand bargain with Mitch McConnell for years. He suggested means-testing just a few years ago, IIRC in the speech that the Sanders' newsletter was quoting.

The attack is dishonest, but it's not as if Biden doesn't have an eyebrow-raising record on Social Security.

I would like to think that he learned something from Obama's disgraceful, disgusting handling of this issue. It remains vastly underrated by media. Those with national visibility tend to be young or well-fed.

Even so, it can't hurt for Biden to take heat on it now. Protecting Medicare and Social Security should be a linchpin of the general election campaign for any nominee. In the midst of all of these grand plans, the candidates have spent surprisingly little time so far reassuring people of this.
In this, in my opinion, lies the major flaw in all of the democratic campaigns this year-- they are not focusing the basics. M4A and free college have the opportunity to help a lot of people, but the apetite is currently not there for these ideas really. Meanwhile, everyone and their grandmother is concerned about entitlements being cut by republicans.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 04:05:30 PM »

Biden has canceled ad spending in Nevada:

Well, that is interesting... The question is why?

a) They are out of money/need money for IA/NH/SC more
b) They think they have it locked up
c) They think they can't win it

Which of those is the case?

A- Biden's campaign is not bankrupt but considering he is the frontrunner and is trying to run his campaign with that in mind, he is not doing great in the money department. Therefore, he is probably trying to put all his eggs in IA/NH (which are on a knife's edge between him and Bernie and Butti) and use that momentum to carry NV without the same level of investment. Still, it is a risky move and not a move made by most frontrunners' campaigns. B and C are both obviously absurd, with polls showing Biden with a small but fairly consistent lead in the state.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies