South Carolina Republicans want death penalty for women who get abortions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:29:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Carolina Republicans want death penalty for women who get abortions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina Republicans want death penalty for women who get abortions  (Read 1415 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 14, 2023, 04:39:15 PM »

If this actually goes anywhere at all, the resulting attack ads should be run on every major network for years.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 07:50:51 AM »

This isn't a courtroom, dingus.

Yes or no: does the bill make women who get abortions eligible to receive the death penalty?

There is only one correct answer here btw

Hurling insults won't give women who get abortions the death penalty, even though you clearly want it to happen. I feel truly sorry for you but it isn't going to.

He asked you "yes or no" several times and you won't give a straight answer. It's okay to admit when you're wrong. We're ALL wrong sometimes. It's okay.

I don't even know what "eligible" is supposed to mean in this question. That it isn't explicitly ruled out?   Where in the current law is it that explicitly rules it out, that this law would change?

No woman is going to get the death penalty due to this bill that wouldn't get it without it.  Is anyone going to argue otherwise?

Dude just take the L

Answer my questions.

This is sad. Just say you support this or don’t because you don’t support the DP for civilian crimes and support life imprisonment instead and move on.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 09:56:14 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2023, 10:00:22 AM by Person Man »

The first thing to do if this evil bill were to somehow pass would be to find all the Republican politicians wives who voted for this who’ve had abortions (I’m sure there are many) and charge them for it. Would be the quickest way to get it repealed as I’m sure they’d put no statute of limitations on it.

This bill is explicitly worded so that it only applies prospectively to future acts if it passes.  It's generally unconstitutional to retroactively criminalize conduct that already happened in the past.  

The main test is if they would have jurisdiction under a law like this over a resident who drove to NC or VA to get an abortion and then returned home.  Kavanuagh's Dobbs concurrence strongly suggests the answer is no.

Technically, you are correct but that is not the issue.

It is the same argument that was used against Walker - Why does someone profess that abortion murder when they practice abortion? Is it anything the rest of us should be concerned about? It all just leads down a rabbit hole that I am not comfortable going into at 11 oclock on Wednesday Morning.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2023, 12:50:13 PM by Person Man »

Even if this has zero chance of actually getting passed it’s insanity.  Are you actually pro life if you support the death penalty, or are you pro birth?  There’s a big difference.

Of course, maybe not even most pro-life people actually think that abortion is murder.

Most of them probably see the availability of abortion as an unnecessary privilege for people whom they see as a social burden, long-term community liability, or a personal nuisance and hence they are doing whatever they can to ostracize people who participate in abortion from society.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 10:13:21 AM »

Yes or no: does the bill make women who get abortions eligible to receive the death penalty?

Hurling insults won't give women who get abortions the death penalty, even though you clearly want it to happen. I feel truly sorry for you but it isn't going to.

He asked you "yes or no" several times and you won't give a straight answer. It's okay to admit when you're wrong. We're ALL wrong sometimes. It's okay.

I don't even know what "eligible" is supposed to mean in this question. That it isn't explicitly ruled out?   Where in the current law is it that explicitly rules it out, that this law would change?

No woman is going to get the death penalty due to this bill that wouldn't get it without it.  Is anyone going to argue otherwise?

Dude just take the L

Answer my questions.

This is sad. Just say you support this or don’t because you don’t support the DP for civilian crimes and support life imprisonment instead and move on.

I don't support this bill since abortion has distinctions as a form of homicide that it makes sense for the law to be specific about how this distinctiveness should play out in the law, and I have views of what that should include which this bill does not.  But the faults of this bill do not somehow mean that women who get abortions are therefore going to be treated more harshly than 99% of those judged guilty of other criminal homicides in South Carolina, and claims that it will are propaganda.   Ok., moving on.

Agreed to a point. Most people who kill someone aren't going to get the death penalty. Probably more people are eventually going to be paroled than executed.

Then again, what if there is some group of activists or anarchist/left-wing militia that has performed hundreds of abortions illegally that the police and NG have been trying to round up for years? What if there is someone who has had several abortions (they had pregnancy complications or were just a lazy thot, it doesn't matter at this point) since the law happened. All of these people are now serial killers.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 11:41:21 AM »

Dude just take the L

Answer my questions.

I don't support this bill since abortion has distinctions as a form of homicide that it makes sense for the law to be specific about how this distinctiveness should play out in the law, and I have views of what that should include which this bill does not.  But the faults of this bill do not somehow mean that women who get abortions are therefore going to be treated more harshly than 99% of those judged guilty of other criminal homicides in South Carolina, and claims that it will are propaganda.   Ok., moving on.

Agreed to a point. Most people who kill someone aren't going to get the death penalty. Probably more people are eventually going to be paroled than executed.

Then again, what if there is some group of activists or anarchist/left-wing militia that has performed hundreds of abortions illegally that the police and NG have been trying to round up for years? What if there is someone who has had several abortions (they had pregnancy complications or were just a lazy thot, it doesn't matter at this point) since the law happened. All of these people are now serial killers.

Even if we make obtusly optimistic assumptions about the implementation of this law, are we really supposed to be any more pleased that women charged with capital murder for getting an abortion might "only" be sentenced to (e.g) 20 to life instead??

Not really. We understand Shua and perhaps technically agree with him but still assert that he is talking bs.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »

Dude just take the L

Answer my questions.

Even if we make obtusly optimistic assumptions about the implementation of this law, are we really supposed to be any more pleased that women charged with capital murder for getting an abortion might "only" be sentenced to (e.g) 20 to life instead??

Not really. We understand Shua and perhaps technically agree with him but still assert that he is talking bs.

I am talking bs but am technically correct. lol  well I'll take what I can get.

I mean you are correct, most women who get abortions will eventually be freed, but so what? At least one will eventually be executed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 01:39:42 PM »

It doesn't bring me pleasure to say that if they enact these policies, one of the best ways to fight them is going to be to test the law by breaking it without shame and be willing to suffer the consequences.

Because, otherwise, I don't know how you try to persuade someone who would vote for this violent misogyny that it's wrong. There's zero discussion one can have with such a person. We've already seen it above, they're either intentionally blind to the results we've seen historically of these policies or they simply want to be ignorant of it cause they can't face the reality of the repercussions this will have for women.

And those repercussions are a fact. We've seen it historically, and we're already seeing it here in Texas where a group of women who were denied life-saving abortions are suing the state government. This is even worse.

Won't lie that laws like this making a re-run in the 21st century is pushing me into despair somewhat. I don't know how we come back from this if this starts becoming the new normal.

Other than staying loud about fighting for the rights of my family and friends who are women in this country. And protesting + voting like hell at every opportunity I get.

Protest will need to become resistance or make peace. Like I said, there needs to be the exploration of jury nullification. If these laws are that important, would they be willing to end due process?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies