UK AV Referendum Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:19:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK AV Referendum Poll (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you want the United Kingdom to adopt the 'alternative vote' system instead of the current 'first past the post' system for electing Members of Parliament to the House of Commons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: UK AV Referendum Poll  (Read 39939 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZwOrySIIeY

New campaign ad from the No camp. I love how this is more or less what happened when my politics teacher first explained AV to my class.

If I were on the fence and I saw that ad, it would make me more likely to vote "yes," since its main message appears to be "we think you're stupid."
The entire anti-AV campaign is based on that premise.

Not sure if the other side is better though - we'd need a pro-AV refudiate clone onsite to overexpose me to its arguments. Cheesy

AV aren't really giving people a reason to vote yes accept "AV will almost, maybe, possibly, make a future Conservative or Labour government probably, almost, maybe decide to change their opinion of PR and try to maybe impliment it".
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »

And now, a referendum broadcast from Nick Clegg Alan B'Stard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-obZ9OG_XKA
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 06:42:05 AM »

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 06:43:36 AM »

Also, I wish the Yes camp would stop saying the Tories use Av for their leadership contests. They don't. They do multi-round voting...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »

You know who you're voting for in a second round. You don't with a second preference. I guess that's the best way I can explain it.

It's a bit like saying France uses AV because they have 2 round, when it's clearly not AV.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/3475 - Cheesy

So, only Angus-Reid still has Yes ahead, right? And we know their record...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »

First time that NI has been polled on the referendum as well, btw.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »

Slow news day:
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »

Just seen an article about Huhne telling the NO camp to stop telling lies. I thought it was YES who was telling voters that AV means all MPs will have 50%+ and get rid of safe seats... seems a bit questionable as well, to be fair.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »

Antony Green has been blogging quite a bit lately about the referendum. He seems to be quite perturbed by claims from some of the No advocates.

Seems like a fairly impressive demolition of most of the "No" campaign's arguments.

Well, except the "I hate Nick Clegg and want to give him a bloody nose" type...

That the argument I was hoping the No campaign would put great emphasis on. How are Clegg's approvals doing btw?

Mori:
Dave - 44/47
Ed - 41/40
Clegg - 35/53

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/Aprilpolmontopline.PDF
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

Just seen an article about Huhne telling the NO camp to stop telling lies. I thought it was YES who was telling voters that AV means all MPs will have 50%+ and get rid of safe seats... seems a bit questionable as well, to be fair.

The No leaflet also says, and this is a verbatim quote, "The only vote that would count under AV would be Nick Clegg's".

Not really a lie. It's more just big rhetoric.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 05:18:24 AM »

Roll Eyes
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 05:55:44 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 05:59:46 AM by Refudiate »

"Nick Clegg is toast already. Vote yes to spite David Cameron and George Osbourne!"

Probably a good thing for the Tories a lot of left-wingers like Change 08 are willing to give up electoral reform that would  probably help their party in the long run just to emberass someone who's political life is already over.

I genuinely don't like AV though. I honestly don't see how it's better than FPTP. It's less proportional and it increases government majorities, this is exactly the opposite of what we should be having. I also don't see how a No vote would stop PR in the future anymore than a Yes vote would. Let's say the referndum results in a 'yes', what future Tory or Labour administration is going to give the people PR? They've put it off for decades and decades, they certainly wouldn't change their mind on PR now whether it's a Yes or a No.

Although, of course, hurting Clegg further's a bonus. This referendum, from when it was first discussed, was never going to be an honest debate of AV against FPTP.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »

The assumption that the Alliance would've all preferenced Labour is stupid. The Liberals are Tory inclined, the SDP (the "Democrats" of today) were Labour inclined. To put it simplistically.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »

Clegg brands NO as a "nasty, right wing clique." I'm sure he'd know a thing or two about right wing cliques.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2011, 10:02:07 AM by Refudiate »

Huhne posturing about resignation about the whole £250 million election machine claim.

...Wouldn't do the same about universities or the NHS? I guess that's the LibDem attitude all over.

Any resignation would probably be so he could challenge Clegg anyway.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »

Clegg brands NO as a "nasty, right wing clique." I'm sure he'd know a thing or two about right wing cliques.
He does and he's right. Tongue

John Prescott would have a stroke if he read that. Tongue
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 05:56:20 AM »

As the nation moves into Royal Wedding fever, i'm assuming that most campaigning for the referendum is a bit moot now, so the new "Harm Cameron/Osbourne" approach of the Yes camp and Mandy's intervention is really too late... Competition for news space will be too fierce and the Tory media are hardly gonna be scrambling to give Yes-ers a big voice (no one reads The Guardian).

Referendum? What referendum?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

A third poll showing No leading by 58 to 42:
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/43873/conservative-voters-propel-no-to-new-heights-in-british-referendum/
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »

Given that the Tory leadership would have murdered their own children to form a government (slight exaggeration) he could have held out for a bit better than a referendum on a voting system that he doesn't like anyway, but the lure of getting into one of those plush ministerial cares as soon as possible was what it was. I suspect that the disappointment of the election itself may have been a factor in that, but given the LibDem incompetence during that, it's hardly an excuse.

Doesn't the story go that the Liberals tried to hold out but that mean old Scotsman resigned before he was supposed to, so negotiations fell through?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2011, 07:11:42 PM by Refudiate »

Nasty and partisan, but will the LibDems call it Goebbels-like?

Also, quite a silly poster. Doesn't even mention AV... could just be a normal "Vote Labour" poster, really.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »

No extends their lead with YouGov to 59-41.
http://today.yougov.co.uk/sites/today.yougov.co.uk/files/yg-archives-pol-sun-results-260411.pdf
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »

Are the results going to be declared county-by-county?

I think so. Smiley
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 05:50:45 AM »

Made all the more damning by the fact that Angus Reid were one of the last to show AV in the lead when other pollsters were signalling NO gaining the upper hand.

Interesting to see various figures come out in recent days making direct appeals to Labour voters - to vote for their partisan interest. I've watched in amazement as Clegg and his merry Orange Bookers have done their utmost to extinguish any good feeling from Labour voters - the very same voters their AV hinges upon if it's to pass. Of course when AV's future started looking bleak he dismissed it as being not all that important to him, but that's been roundly disproven as he and his colleagues battle in an unprecedented scale during this coalition for it (something that again has registered terribly to Labour voters - a battle for self-interest but not his voters or the welfare state).

Some might blame YestoAV, but I think Clegg's played a shocking hand since May last year and I think it's now simply a case of how much his miserable little compromise loses by.

Nick Clegg is an idiot, I think we can all agree there. That doesn't say anything about AV, though.

AV would be inevitably better for him, as a politician. There we go.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

The Thick of It displaying the mentality of the Yes and No campaigns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2HQaF_vfes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies