Which city would you rather have change its name?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which city would you rather have change its name?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which city would you rather have change its name?
Columbus, OH

Leesburg, VA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Which city would you rather have change its name?  (Read 1364 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2021, 11:17:13 PM »

They both should obviously.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 11:18:38 PM »

Neither should change their name.

But if I had to choose I'd go with Columbus because it's further away and a change is less likely to confuse me.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 11:44:03 PM »

beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 11:57:22 PM »

Wait, Leesburg was named in 1758.  Robert E. wasn’t even alive when it was named so why would it be renamed? 
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:16:30 AM »

Neither should change their name.

But if I had to choose I'd go with Columbus Leesburg because it's further away and a change is less likely to confuse me.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 04:06:46 AM »

Neither, and it is obvious that you didn't think this through.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »

Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 11:02:15 AM »

Columbus should obviously be renamed to Hitler City.

/s
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 12:12:56 PM »

Neither (sane)
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »

Wait, Leesburg was named in 1758.  Robert E. wasn’t even alive when it was named so why would it be renamed?  

Leesburg is named after Revolutionary War general Lighthorse Harry Lee. Not surprised BRTD hates American independence.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2021, 01:44:13 PM by Big Abraham »

Wait, Leesburg was named in 1758.  Robert E. wasn’t even alive when it was named so why would it be renamed?  

Leesburg is named after Revolutionary War general Lighthorse Harry Lee. Not surprised BRTD hates American independence.

It's actually named after Thomas Lee in particular who was a colonial governor of Virginia and Harry Lee's great-uncle. Remember, Leesburg was named in 1758 - Light-horse Harry would have been 2 years old at the time and the War of Independence still nearly two decades away.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »

It's actually named after Thomas Lee in particular who was a colonial governor of Virginia. Remember, Leesburg was named in 1758 - Light-horse Harry would have been 2 years old at the time and the War of Independence still nearly two decades away.
Either way, it's not even the objectionable Lee.  Obviously most Lees did some bad things in the settling of Virginia but if they are somehow so evil we need to rename the town then we'll need to rename half the towns in Virginia.

Plus I don't get renaming towns.  The names get a life of their own.  When I talk about Leesburg I'm not referring to a guy named Lee.  I'm referring to the town that happens to be named for him.  The town name is a way to refer to the collection of people and houses that make the town, not the man it is named for.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »

It's actually named after Thomas Lee in particular who was a colonial governor of Virginia. Remember, Leesburg was named in 1758 - Light-horse Harry would have been 2 years old at the time and the War of Independence still nearly two decades away.
Either way, it's not even the objectionable Lee.  Obviously most Lees did some bad things in the settling of Virginia but if they are somehow so evil we need to rename the town then we'll need to rename half the towns in Virginia.

Plus I don't get renaming towns.  The names get a life of their own.  When I talk about Leesburg I'm not referring to a guy named Lee.  I'm referring to the town that happens to be named for him.  The town name is a way to refer to the collection of people and houses that make the town, not the man it is named for.

It's just silly. I remember pointing this out when BRTD made his "REEE Columbus, Ohio needs to be renamed now!" thread, but America itself is named after a slaveholder and slave-trader, Amerigo Vespucci. I suppose we ought to rename the entire American continent because slavery offends our contemporary sensibilities?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »

Leesburg because Colombus is a decent name for a city while I think VA can do better than 'Leesburg.' Also I believe Leesburg is much smaller, so changing its name should confuse less people.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »

Leesburg because Colombus is a decent name for a city while I think VA can do better than 'Leesburg.' Also I believe Leesburg is much smaller, so changing its name should confuse less people.
Do better how?  I don’t understand why a town named for a prominent family is somehow not up to par.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 05:46:14 PM »

Do better how?  I don’t understand why a town named for a prominent family is somehow not up to par.

Do better in the sense that Leesburg just isn't a nice name for a city.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 02:29:55 PM »

Do better in the sense that Leesburg just isn't a nice name for a city.
Ah I see what you mean.  Personally I have the opposite opinion.  Columbus feels very generic while Leesburg is a reference to past local grandees.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 02:37:29 PM »

Change Ohio’s name to Tojo.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 04:58:18 PM »

Ah, unaware. Well then Columbus is the definite answer.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 11:38:24 PM »

Leesburg isn't named after Robert E. Lee, but his ancestors, aristocratic planters. Not great but nothing, especially not the capital of my home state, should be named after that prick Columbus. He just doesn't deserve the recognition.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 11:42:55 PM »

Leesburg isn't named after Robert E. Lee, but his ancestors, aristocratic planters. Not great but nothing, especially not the capital of my home state, should be named after that prick Columbus. He just doesn't deserve the recognition.
It would be hard forgetting it's old name and even if it did rename itself, people would still call it Columbus.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 11:45:44 PM »

Neither.

I'm not a fan of this sort of Year Zero interpretation of history, where historical figures have to be judged according to current day standards with no consideration for the context in which they lived and the lasting influence they had in shaping our society. Besides, when I think of Columbus OH or Leesburg VA I certainly don't think of Christopher or Robert -who isn't even who Leesburg is named for!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies