would you disown your daughter if.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:52:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  would you disown your daughter if.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...she married and/or had a child with someone outside of her race?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: would you disown your daughter if.....  (Read 6406 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »

Please elaborate - what race are you, and what exactly do you think is wrong with the other races?

White, I don't like racial mixing, purity resonates pride.

You guys can do whatever you want, but I'm ensuring purity.

Hah!  What an hilarious racist you are!  Totally deluded.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 05:39:28 PM »

White, I don't like racial mixing, purity resonates pride.

You guys can do whatever you want, but I'm ensuring purity.

Most people would be at least somewhat uncomfortable with a black son in law.

I would respond as to why I would be upset, uncomfortable, or whatever, but it will just result in a "YOUR A RACIST" arguement, which is totally ridiculous.

No, it isn't ridiculous.  You, Bob, and 'Marx' are racists.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 05:42:39 PM »

I would respond as to why I would be upset, uncomfortable, or whatever, but it will just result in a "YOUR A RACIST" arguement, which is totally ridiculous.

No, it isn't ridiculous, you, Bob, and 'Marx' are racists.

Opebo, shut up for a second.  I don't care about Bob and Marx, who can't actually defend their way out of a paper bag.  But I believe that if Nick can defend his position without us all hopping on him and calling him a racist, then he should be allowed to.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 05:56:48 PM »

Bob, "thinly-veiled attacks" or not, you haven't actually answered them with any specific details.  All I've picked up so far is that you'd be uncomfortable with a black son-in-law, and that it would be impractical, but you haven't actually said why.

And swearing at me and calling me a fascist merely proves that you can't argue a point without flying off the handle.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2005, 05:56:51 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 06:02:14 PM by nickshepDEM »

Ok, bare with me.

1.)  Most of the interracial relationships I have been exposed to were not the most healthy relationships in the world.  These type of things stay in the back of your mind.

2.) Lets say my daughter goes on to marry this guy and they have kids.  You do know that not every biracial child grows up to be Mariah Carey.  Alot of the time these kids are the butt of jokes and constantly harassed.  I wouldnt want my grandchild to have go through that.

3.)  My mindset.  I would be shocked and upset because Ive never envisioned that my kids would ever marry someone outside of their race. 

If my daugther ever calls me and says dad Im bringing my friend Joe over for dinner this saturday.  When saturday rolls around he walks in the door and he is black or arab or whatever I wouldnt throw him out the front door and tell my daughter to get out of my sight.  But Id still be a little shocked and upset (not upset as in crying my eyes out and throwing a fit).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 06:05:02 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 06:10:05 PM by Joe Republic »

Ok, bare with me.

1.) Most of the interracial relationships I have been exposed to were not the most healthy relationships in the world. These type of things stay in the back of your mind.

2.) Lets say my daughter goes on to marry this guy and they have kids. You do know that not every biracial child grows up to be Mariah Carey. Alot of the time these kids are the butt of jokes and constantly harassed. I wouldnt want my grandchild to have go through that.

3.) My mindset. I would be shocked and upset because Ive never envisioned that my kids would ever marry someone outside of their race.

If my daugther ever calls me and says dad Im bringing friend Joe over for dinner this saturday. If he walks in the door and he is black or arab or whatever I wouldnt throw him out the front door and tell my daughter to get out of my sight. But Id still be a little shocked and upset (not upset as in crying my eyes out and throwing a fit).

OK I see where you're coming from.  I guess it's all about upbringing that decides how you react to other races.  For point 1, as I say it all depends on your own experiences on how you've seen other peoples' relationships.  For point 2, I haven't noticed a huge amount of racism against biracial people, or perhaps I'm being naive.  Still, I can see you'd be concerned for their safety and wellbeing, and I respect that.  For point 3, its upbringing again.  We'll have to disagree here, because I've never had a problem with the idea of marrying outside your race.

I don't think you're a racist, but I'm still surprised that you would be upset if your daughter brought home a black man, just because he happens to be black.  If it were me, I'd just make sure that he's 'good enough' for my daughter, using the same standards I'd apply to any man she brought home.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 06:06:18 PM »

Joe, you're a classic troll. You've been harassing me from thread to thread. I'm sick of it. Forgive me for not being nice anymore.

And yet you have still failed to answer the questions.  Should I just save you some time and assume you agree with Nick here?  He actually managed to defend his views without swearing and calling people trolls.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 06:07:41 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2005, 06:12:12 PM by opebo »

Ok, bare with me.

1.)  Most of the interracial relationships I have been exposed to were not the most healthy relationships in the world.  These type of things stay in the back of your mind.

2.) Lets say my daughter goes on to marry this guy and they have kids.  You do know that not every biracial child grows up to be Mariah Carey.  Alot of the time these kids are the butt of jokes and constantly harassed.  I wouldnt want my grandchild to have go through that.

3.)  My mindset.  I would be shocked and upset because Ive never envisioned that my kids would ever marry someone outside of their race. 

If my daugther ever calls me and says dad Im bringing friend Joe over for dinner this saturday.  If he walks in the door and he is black or arab or whatever I wouldnt throw him out the front door and tell my daughter to get out of my sight.  But Id still be a little shocked and upset (not upset as in crying my eyes out and throwing a fit).

You seem like a nice guy, nickshepDEM, and I have to admit in many ways I agree with you.  Especially about the Arab (don't like muslims).  I don't see anything wrong with your position as long as you admit that you are a racist just for the sake of intellectual honesty.  We all are.  

I mean of course not all blacks or arabs are abusive, and by the same token a huge percentage of white males are.  But you and others naturally tend to make assumptions based on race as a sort of convenient shorthand.  And you are right more often than not.   What we are really looking for is cultural characteristics, which obviously do not come from race, though race is a convenient identifier.

The girls here do it all the time - they are extremely reluctant to go with any Arabs or African Blacks, mostly OK with American Blacks, and quite eager to accompany Whites.   Not really 'fair', but the point is people do what works for them and don't care if it inconveniences those who are discriminated against.

However one final note - I think it is ridiculous to claim that mixed race children would be made fun of.  Basically nearly all blacks in the US have a few white anscestors.  I don't think mixed race children look as unusual as you think.  The best hope for ending racism is the day when we're all blended into one nice colour - like that Bulworth said.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 06:15:10 PM »

Joe, you're a classic troll. You've been harassing me from thread to thread. I'm sick of it. Forgive me for not being nice anymore.

And yet you have still failed to answer the questions.  Should I just save you some time and assume you agree with Nick here?  He actually managed to defend his views without swearing and calling people trolls.

You are a troll. By that I mean you fit the classic definition of one (see Wikipedia for instance; they have a pretty good entry on trolling).

Secondly, you didn't personally attack Nick or harass him in another thread. I can see why he's more civil than I am at this point.

Again, you have failed to address the point.  As you didn't say otherwise, I'll assume you have the same POV as Nick, which I actually don't think any less of you for.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 06:15:25 PM »

Well... this thread has gone downhill in a hurry.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 06:37:37 PM »

Nor mine.  Though read through the thread and you'll see I didn't start any "personal attacks".  I was trying a line of questioning that was poorly interpreted as a personal attack.  I was never being sarcastic, and at no point did I assume anybody was being racist.  I apologize if I came across as rude.

Alcon, you can delete this thread if you wish.  I don't really care either way.  I've been unjustly called a troll several times and even a fascist at one point.  Leave it up if you think that that is a fair assessment.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2005, 06:42:55 PM »

Delete the thread?!  Because a couple of people had a little argument?  You guys are silly.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2005, 06:44:57 PM »

Delete the thread?!  Because a couple of people had a little argument?  You guys are silly.

Like I said, I don't really care either way.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2005, 08:42:14 PM »

I'm going to give this thread one last shot. I don't really think it matters who started it - I'm just glad everyone involved ended it.

If this degrades again, I'll be closing it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2005, 09:43:11 PM »

Ok, bare with me.

If my daugther ever calls me and says dad Im bringing my friend Joe over for dinner this saturday.  When saturday rolls around he walks in the door and he is black or arab or whatever I wouldnt throw him out the front door and tell my daughter to get out of my sight.  But Id still be a little shocked and upset (not upset as in crying my eyes out and throwing a fit).

As I understand it, your opposition to a daughter having an inter-racial relationship is practical.  You don't want her, and her offspring, to have to deal with some of the issues that society will dump on them.

This is understandable, and I applaud your honesty in saying so.  There are so many people who are ready to jump on anybody who strays from the acceptable party line on this.

I still hold to my own view - that the quality of the person is what matters.  I think that society is much more accepting of interracial relationships than it used to be, and that if the two individuals are mature enough and have the right attitude, the issues can be worked out. 

But you are right to think that race is a burden that will make the relationship more difficult.  That is just realistic.  Still, I wouldn't be opposed to a high-quality person for that reason alone.

I have noticed that many trashy white girls have taken to dating equally trashy black men as a form of rebellion.  These girls are subtle racists in their own way, because they go for black men specifically on the assumption that their blackness makes them trashier.  This is not the kind of interracial relationship that I would support.  Then again, even here color would not be the issue for me, because I would oppose my daughter dating trashy guys even if they were white.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »

no.

and are you people who are saying you'd be upset saying you wouldn't  anyone outside of your race? none of those hot Asians or Latinas? I've never had one, although I got a nice lap dance from a Latina last night.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 07:42:30 AM »

Clever answer #1: Since most blacks are Democrats, I just might have to disown her. Wink

Clever answer #2: Since my race is the human race, I'd be pretty mad if she married otuside it.

Straight answer: No, I wouldn't.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 12:29:12 AM »

No, but I woudn't be happy about it either.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »

Absolutely not, especially since my first relationship was inter-racial. But then, I don't think I'll ever have a daughter anyway.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2007, 12:59:24 AM »

with a son I wouldn't mind as much.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 01:03:59 AM »

Skin color to me matters about as much as hair or eye color. In other words, not something I ever seriously "consider" in selecting a partner.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 02:37:16 AM »

No.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:30 AM »

No, but I woudn't be happy about it either.

What a shock.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2007, 08:36:56 AM »

Skin color to me matters about as much as hair or eye color. In other words, not something I ever seriously "consider" in selecting a partner.
Agree 100% on that. I may have specific preferences for my first choices(east asians/latins) but would be open to dating someone regardless of skin color.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies