2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:27:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 622423 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 03, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »

I have a banana, a bowl of chilli, and a peanut butter sandwich locked and loaded that I will throw at anyone who says that Georgia will vote for Trump

You've been warned

Georgia will vote for Trump.

(Not really. I'm just hungry.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »

Guam update (61% partially reporting, 14k total votes): margin stays pretty consistent since last update at Biden 55.7, Trump 41.5.

Guam update (73% partially reporting, 19k total votes): marginal improvement for Biden to 55.8, Trump at 41.4.

Appears Guam has a similar pro-incumbent bias that Hawaii also has.

I love that memes that were born here, what, 16 years ago are still going strong.

The memes deserve their accolades Smiley

All hail mypalfish for creating the longest-running meme on Atlas.

Heck, for 2004, they probably have a reasonable claim to creating one of the first politics-based memes anywhere on the internet.

Hardly. The internet long predates the web. I first used the internet in 1986. (FTP for the win!)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »

Guam update (61% partially reporting, 14k total votes): margin stays pretty consistent since last update at Biden 55.7, Trump 41.5.

Guam update (73% partially reporting, 19k total votes): marginal improvement for Biden to 55.8, Trump at 41.4.

Appears Guam has a similar pro-incumbent bias that Hawaii also has.

I love that memes that were born here, what, 16 years ago are still going strong.

The memes deserve their accolades Smiley

All hail mypalfish for creating the longest-running meme on Atlas.

Heck, for 2004, they probably have a reasonable claim to creating one of the first politics-based memes anywhere on the internet.

Hardly. The internet long predates the web. I first used the internet in 1986. (FTP for the win!)

Yeah, but memes? I don't remember any internet memes before at least 2008ish, unless you count things like the Hampsterdance that were more just pop culture phenomena that were based on the internet.

Godwin's Law dates to 1990 on USENET.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 09:54:27 PM »

Looking good, but not certain for the Democrats getting the trifecta, but I'm done with election coverage for the night.  See y'all tomorrow when we have some certainty.  Elections are not Schroedingerian cats.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 01:02:05 AM »

Does a Biden Presidency and a GOP Senate mean no stimulus checks?

Yeah. Mitch is not going to do any big bills for President Biden.

The run-off in Georgia could be huge

Doubtful. It looks to be D vs. R, which I expect the R to win.

However, while Senate control looks rough for the Ds, its still possible.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 02:42:15 AM »

The only good thing is that at least so far nothing has happened that would keep Trump from being laughed out of court if he tries to contest the VBM votes. Still, it is closer than I'd have liked and it looks more likely than not right now that Mitch will still be Majority Leader in the Senate. Which means no stimulus no matter who wins the White House and tomorrow will be brutal on Wall Street.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »

The only good thing is that at least so far nothing has happened that would keep Trump from being laughed out of court if he tries to contest the VBM votes. Still, it is closer than I'd have liked and it looks more likely than not right now that Mitch will still be Majority Leader in the Senate. Which means no stimulus no matter who wins the White House and tomorrow will be brutal on Wall Street.

The only change is that the futures are up this morning, but those are often poor predictors for how the market does as they often get used as part of a hedging strategy, so I'll wait until the market opens to judge how well my market prediction holds.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »

The term "latinx" needs to never be uttered by another Democratic politician or anyone affiliated with the Democratic party ever again. It has always felt weird to me that white liberals were imposing a term on a minority community which the the minority community seems to have no interest in.

I get the reason why some idiots use Latinx, but really if you want a non-gendered word to use in English, why not Latin?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »

Once this is released, rip up the Jackson ones and take them to the bank to get Tubman's. As long as both serial numbers on the ripped ones match, it's legal.

Fact Check.... wait until the Jackson's are no longer legit before anyone on Atlas / TE rips up their $20 Bills and takes them to the bank.

Stockdale for VP gotta point that the Jacksons will likely be replaced by Tubman's under a Biden Gvt, but I would highly suggest not tearing up your money quite yet, until the new bills come around. Wink

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/politics/harriet-tubman-20-mnuchin-trnd/index.html

The Jackson 20s will remain legal tender indefinitely. For that matter the old Jackson 10s are still legal tender, tho they are worth far more than face value to collectors, so I certainly wouldn't tear those up if you have them.

(Source: National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution via Wikimedia Commons)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »

Damn is the stock market hot this morning. I'm up 6% overall thanks in large part to the Financial stocks and REITS I'm in and had bought more of during the dips earlier this year. My portfolio isn't quite at the balance I want it, but I'm trying to avoid claiming capital gains if I can help it, so selling good stocks in bad sectors isn't something I want to do right now.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »

Once this is released, rip up the Jackson ones and take them to the bank to get Tubman's. As long as both serial numbers on the ripped ones match, it's legal.

Obviously, priority #1 is gonna be a stimulus package, but I really do hope that Secretary Brainard does eventually get around to expediting the process of putting Tubman on the $20 bill.

If so, I hope she gets a better portrait than what's in that image. Frankly, I can't help but think the main reason for selecting Tubman is so as to tick off the boxes for both having a woman and a POC on our money with a single person.  Also, if you know your Bank War history, Jackson was a natural fit for the $20 bill as he thought that should be the smallest paper denomination. (The gold eagle, worth 10 dollars was the highest valued U.S. coin at the time.) So I'd rather get Grant off our money than Jackson, even tho I understand and sympathize with the politics calling for the removal of Jackson. Personally, I'd like to see Henry Clay replace Grant on the front of the $50, since it has the Capitol Building on the back, and I'd like to see us issue a $200 bill that would on the front of the bill offer a variety of historical Supreme Court justices (one per bill, but not the same on each bill), including John Marshall, Thurgood Marshall, and RBG on the front and a back that shows the Supreme Court chamber with the current justices shown sitting. Also, the back of the $5 bill should be altered to show MLK giving his iconic speech at the Lincoln Memorial.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies