Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:04:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 140

Author Topic: Should Minnesota return Virginia's Confederate battle flag?  (Read 6447 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 03, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »

EMD's ignorance in this thread is a bit disturbing. We could argue this war for days and days, but there's no point. He's the type of person who thinks the south is full of dumb racists and the North was perfect and free of any kind of prejudices. The only reason the Civil War was fought was because Lincoln was determined to keep the union together. Freeing the slaves had nothing to do with it. Lincoln probably didn't care either way, as just recently, an amendment drafted by Lincoln was revealed that would've written slavery into the constitution forever.
Remind me why the South seceded again?

In 13 years, the chances of Duke having revised some of his views on these matters is probably rather solid, though I will let him speak for himself on these matters.

It just demonstrate some of the casual acceptance of Lost Cause/Reconcialitionist mythology as recently as just a decade ago. Shifting of blame to Lincoln for the war happening, misdirecting by emphasizing the initial unionist goal (which was dictated by practicalities military and political at the time) as an indicator of motivation, reading into Lincoln a disinterested viewpoint and misattributing the Corwin amendment's drafting (though Lincoln gave some tacit approval to it, the emphasis on such by Lost Causers falls flat since their objective is to pierce some idealized balloon in the hopes that doing so will make their position look better. It doesn't work though).

I'll Echo the sentiment that Duke is one of the most grown posters on Atlas since he started here. Perhaps that stems from him having been either late high school or early college when he started and now, goodness me how time flies, I guess around 30. Perhaps that's my own biases talking as he's become a never Trump moderate, although I think he might still be a registered Republican.

On that note, right up there among the most grown posters in that period is NC Yankee as well. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 09:40:53 PM »

The 1st Minnesota's flag lost five men carrying it. Every time another man dropped his weapon to carry it on. The 47 survivors rallied back to General Hancock under the command of their senior surviving officer, Captain Nathan S. Messick. The 82% casualty rate stands as the largest loss by any surviving U.S military unit in a single day's engagement ever. The unit's colors are displayed in the rotunda of the Minnesota Capitol for public appreciation.
Was reading some history and just wow!.
The day before they captured the flag.

Those tough-as-nails bastards arguably avoided disaster at Gettysburg and, thus, the entire nation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:37:38 PM »

The 1st Minnesota's flag lost five men carrying it. Every time another man dropped his weapon to carry it on. The 47 survivors rallied back to General Hancock under the command of their senior surviving officer, Captain Nathan S. Messick. The 82% casualty rate stands as the largest loss by any surviving U.S military unit in a single day's engagement ever. The unit's colors are displayed in the rotunda of the Minnesota Capitol for public appreciation.
Was reading some history and just wow!.
The day before they captured the flag.

Those tough-as-nails bastards arguably avoided disaster at Gettysburg and, thus, the entire nation.

Did I ever post about my Gettysburg story? No, I know I am old, but hard as it may be to believe, I was not actually in the zip code during the battle. But I was there vicariously with my retired colonel tour guide whom I had retained to show me the real estate for 2 or 3 hours. He told me the real reason Pickett's charge up Cemetery Hill failed with great passion

Deets please? Even a summary?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »

I'm getting extremely disturbed by the calls for censoring or even outright destroying historical artifacts these days. I don't like political hysteria, but it's gotten to the point where I think it's undeniable that there is something of a desire for an American Cultural Revolution amongst the Democratic Party these days.

As for the Confederate Flag, it belongs in a museum.
Cultural radicalism has found a backdoor into the Democratic party tent and has now unfortunately shown influence on the "consensus view" on some topics, much to the detriment of both the Democratic party and the nation at large.

One would argue that the true cultural radicalism is honoring Is symbols of treason and slavery Is in the public squares and arenas, rather than removing them to museums like nazi memorabilia, but that's just me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies