Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:44:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 68609 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« on: May 09, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »

Also, RV's comparison is apt. This Quechua girl mocking Limans wouldn't be out of place at a Trump rally owning libs. When people feel their interests aren't represented they'll go with whoever at least gives lip service, and after a while just knowing that those who ignored and insulted them are afraid is all they need. Maoism might be an insane ideology but when they're the only ones promising a better life in any given mountain village I have a hard time blaming the peasants for jumping on board. It's unfortunate that the policies that would actually help such people are generally tied in with corrupt elites.

Do you mean liberalism and economic freedom? Because Peru is the ultimate stereotype of laissez-faire economics, deregulation and basically a free-for-all for business. Peruvian state is really small.

In other news, Castillo apparently is moderating drastically his rhetoric so there's a chance he will be another Humala.  

Grading on a Latin American curve, sure. By modern international standards, not exactly. By my ideal standards, not even close.

Market systems have to start from the bottom up, whereas the usual neoliberal tack in Latin America has been to appeal to the ruling elite to impose a market system from the top. This might help with capitalizing companies and attracting international loans to capital cities but that's all irrelevant to some guy living on a mountain that's about to be evicted so the government can collect fat taxes from a new mine.

De Soto's idea of formalizing property for the poor was a great one even if he's a bit of a lizard person. It would also help reduce regime uncertainty; knowing that the government will seize land for you or divert huge sums your way for contracts is great for a corrupt international corporation but not so good for the small and medium sized companies that make the backbone of a healthy economy and won't get the same favoritism. A consistent and fair system means people can actually invest and expand in their own communities without worrying about it being stolen by the local authorities or criminals (but I repeat myself). The direct size of the state isn't as relevant when there are death squads, guerrillas and paramilitaries (the latter less so than in Colombia) that go out kidnapping people, stealing stuff and blowing up infrastructure.

Ending the War on Drugs would also be a great boon, albeit again less than in Colombia or Bolivia. Formalizing valuable former black market sectors of the economy like coca growing would be hugely beneficial to farmers and would undercut criminal wealth.

Great explanation, thank you.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 07:23:44 PM »

Very easy choice now.

Yeah, as we all know, politicians never lie. The guy with ties to a Maoist guerilla group definitely won't do anything bad during his presidency. I'm sure of it.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:09:04 PM »

Very easy choice now.

Yeah, as we all know, politicians never lie. The guy with ties to a Maoist guerilla group definitely won't do anything bad during his presidency. I'm sure of it.

Ok mr. Haley/Ryan, what do you suggest a center leftist to do? Gamble that the daughter of the brutal dictator who said she'll pardon him won't do anything bad?

Yes.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 07:46:48 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/peru-voter-simulation-shows-castillo-fujimori-now-neck-neck-2021-05-16/

"The poll, in which respondents fill out mock voter forms and place them in boxes to preserve their privacy, showed Castillo had 51.1% support, while Fujimori had 48.9%. The gap in the survey published in the newspaper El Comercio was within the 2.8-point margin of error."

Castillo 51, Fujimori 49
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »

Maybe he should ask for help from more experienced politicians, like Cérron, instead of telling them to pipe down and ignoring their relevance in the party and their relevance to him being president in the first place.

It’s clear Castillo is way over his head, and he’s too haughty and stubborn to preserve his ego to even ask for professional help.

Okay Mr. "Castillo won't win a second term"
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 12:56:40 PM »

Huge protests continuing. Torres (the PM) praised Hitler. Peru continues to descend into insanity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/07/peru-minister-hitler-mussolini/
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 11:27:40 AM »

The reason why the Andean Left is so loopy is that it is backed by traditional Indigenous clan heads and remnants of the Incan aristocracy. This is great for getting elected, as they have a reliable support base whose also very rich and very well connected to the lower rungs in rural areas, however their class position and views are incredibly backwards and not in sync to what the urban working class—or even peasantry—want or need.

There is a reason why Peru Libre was supportive of the Second Kim and North Korea in general, and that is because the latter wholly capitulated to the rural landowners and upper peasantry over the working class doing manual labor or urban intelligentsia. This also explains why Peru Libre have the infighting that they have.

Oddly enough, MAS has somehow balanced these interests much better in having a monopoly of sorts over these groups, but sections of the lower stratum of urban and rural working class they have no control over are represented by radicals in the main trade union rallying around the Quispe family and they are seemingly slipping support over middle class Indians. They, unlike PL, do very poorly in getting the non-Quechuan indigenous vote.

LoL

I like the idea that rich Peruvian landowners are big Kim Jong-il fans.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 12:15:41 PM »

Anyway, the real reason the Andean left is so loopy is that their base is among the most uneducated in the Americas. Fully one in 5 Peruvians doesn't even speak Spanish, and these voters go overwhelmingly for the left -- in addition to those who speak Spanish, but are not native speakers. Conspiracy theories spread disproportionately among the uneducated, and even more so among uneducated speakers of languages with limited media presence.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »

The reason why the Andean Left is so loopy is that it is backed by traditional Indigenous clan heads and remnants of the Incan aristocracy. This is great for getting elected, as they have a reliable support base whose also very rich and very well connected to the lower rungs in rural areas, however their class position and views are incredibly backwards and not in sync to what the urban working class—or even peasantry—want or need.

There is a reason why Peru Libre was supportive of the Second Kim and North Korea in general, and that is because the latter wholly capitulated to the rural landowners and upper peasantry over the working class doing manual labor or urban intelligentsia. This also explains why Peru Libre have the infighting that they have.

Oddly enough, MAS has somehow balanced these interests much better in having a monopoly of sorts over these groups, but sections of the lower stratum of urban and rural working class they have no control over are represented by radicals in the main trade union rallying around the Quispe family and they are seemingly slipping support over middle class Indians. They, unlike PL, do very poorly in getting the non-Quechuan indigenous vote.

LoL

Literally one of the major supporters of MAS are rural landowners. PL was founded by an angsty intellectual and has the support of Incan nationalists and traditionalists in the “Israelite” religious movement and Ethnocaceristas.

You don’t know anything about these voters or their politics, don’t talk.

I don't deny that some influential rural chiefs support the MAS. I just deny that there are many rural landowner big Kim Jong-Il fans.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 07:23:57 PM »

LoL

Literally one of the major supporters of MAS are rural landowners. PL was founded by an angsty intellectual and has the support of Incan nationalists and traditionalists in the “Israelite” religious movement and Ethnocaceristas.

You don’t know anything about these voters or their politics, don’t talk.

I don't deny that some influential rural chiefs support the MAS. I just deny that there are many rural landowner big Kim Jong-Il fans.
I hate to break it to you brah, but a significant amount of somewhat wealthier peasants with some ownership of their land relative to other Koreans were and are major backers of the Kim family, so much so that they backed the liquidation of the South Korean left in order to maintain power. Like, I linked it a while ago lol

lol
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »

Anyway, the real reason the Andean left is so loopy is that their base is among the most uneducated in the Americas. Fully one in 5 Peruvians doesn't even speak Spanish, and these voters go overwhelmingly for the left -- in addition to those who speak Spanish, but are not native speakers. Conspiracy theories spread disproportionately among the uneducated, and even more so among uneducated speakers of languages with limited media presence.
I love how being on Atlas lets dipshyt teenagers be kinds of racist they can't be in the us. Congrats, you should get together with a 60 year old Peruvian banker in Charlotte to talk about how great apartheid is.

It's not racist to note (objectively) that the Peruvian left has a very uneducated base. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with said base, but it does explain why that base is prone to supporting conspiracy theories.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 12:08:13 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2022, 12:17:13 AM by North Carolina Conservative »

here it is. Given the totality of Japanese monopoly in displacing Korean elites, the “national bourgeoisie” talked about here were common traders and the small landowners whose land wasn’t appropriated during colonization. And the voluntary nature of giving up production centers to the state that were not Japanese colonists and Joseon noble holdouts is vital in understanding why North Korea is the way it is.

This isn't a remotely credible -- you're linking to Marxists.org from 1995. You'll need real sources for anyone to take you seriously.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 07:20:47 AM »

here it is. Given the totality of Japanese monopoly in displacing Korean elites, the “national bourgeoisie” talked about here were common traders and the small landowners whose land wasn’t appropriated during colonization. And the voluntary nature of giving up production centers to the state that were not Japanese colonists and Joseon noble holdouts is vital in understanding why North Korea is the way it is.

This isn't a remotely credible -- you're linking to Marxists.org from 1995. You'll need real sources for anyone to take you seriously.

I think direct quotes from WPK position papers (assuming the quotes themselves are accurate) are actually a perfectly acceptable source for discussions about the WPK's ideology, NCC. I do not agree with the conclusions that PSOL draws about how in-touch with reality some of this stuff is, but marxists.org tends to be a pretty good source on what Marxists have to say about Marxism!

Well, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that this is how North Korea portrays itself. What I consider absurd is

A. Taking North Korean propaganda remotely seriously

B. Asserting that North Korea is popular with rural Peruvians.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies