2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:10:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42
Author Topic: 2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose  (Read 73755 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »

Now imagine how awkward her and Sinema's working relationship will be LMAO
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »

He should've appointed a placeholder and leave Republican voters to decide who will be the person  they want to defend this seat.
Appointing a loser only a few weeks after she lost, is indeed a huge middle finger to the electorate.

Ducey hasn't given up his own asperations to get to the Senate after finishing his 2nd Term as Governor.

He has some Options now especially if McSally loses in 2020. He could then run in 2022 or run against Sinema in 2024.

It's getting harder every year with Arizona fast moving to the left.

Not for a Popular Governor like Ducey.

Everyone said it would be hard for Rick Scott to beat Bill Nelson. He's now a Senator-elect and AZ is still more Republican than Florida is.

I can see Ducey running in 2022 when his Term is up if McSally loses in 2020. If she wins he could run against Sinema.

Florida is moving to the right.

Arizona is moving to the left.
UncleSam

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »

Eh McSally should win in 2020 because Trump should win AZ but it is going to be the second best pickup opportunity for Dems imo
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »

Mark Kelly come on down
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »

Eh McSally should win in 2020 because Trump should win AZ but it is going to be the second best pickup opportunity for Dems imo

AZ is going to be the next state to flip after MI, PA, and WI.

Luckily for the Democrats, McSally has Trump shackled to her ankle.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2018, 11:43:32 AM »

He should've appointed a placeholder and leave Republican voters to decide who will be the person  they want to defend this seat.
Appointing a loser only a few weeks after she lost, is indeed a huge middle finger to the electorate.

Ducey hasn't given up his own asperations to get to the Senate after finishing his 2nd Term as Governor.

He has some Options now especially if McSally loses in 2020. He could then run in 2022 or run against Sinema in 2024.

Everyone said it would be hard for Rick Scott to beat Bill Nelson. He's now a Senator-elect and AZ is still more Republican than Florida is.

I can see Ducey running in 2022 when his Term is up if McSally loses in 2020. If she wins he could run against Sinema.

Doesn't matter if you're Popular.

If you look back. Since the 2008 Elections Democratic Governors, Republican Governors and Purple State Governors alike have a very high success rate getting elected.

Governor Mark Warner (now a Senator)
Governor Tim Kaine (now a Senator)
Governor Jeanne Shaheen (now a Senator)
Governor Maggie Hassan (now a Senator)
Governor Angus King (now a Senator)
Governor Mike Rounds (now a Senator)
Governor John Hoeven (now a Senator)
Governor Rick Scott (now a Senator)

and that's just a few. The Senate itself has a lot of former Governors right now.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »

Both candidates were quite strong, and McSally didn't lose by much, so it's fine. She's still supported by a large amount of Arizona voters. Fortunately, Sinema still did win her race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2018, 11:44:52 AM »

It would be hilarious if Arizona went from two Republican Senators to two Democratic Senators in just two years, due to a so-called "rising star" that was hyped up so much after 2014 getting beaten twice.

Also, is this the first time that someone becomes the Senior Senator less than two months after losing a Senate race?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2018, 11:48:03 AM »

It would be hilarious if Arizona went from two Republican Senators to two Democratic Senators in just two years, due to a so-called "rising star" that was hyped up so much after 2014 getting beaten twice.

Also, is this the first time that someone becomes the Senior Senator less than two months after losing a Senate race?

Sinema will be the senior Senator, as described in the other thread.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »

If you look back. Since the 2008 Elections Democratic Governors, Republican Governors and Purple State Governors alike have a very high success rate getting elected.

and that's just a few. The Senate itself has a lot of former Governors right now.

...and what does that have to do with my comment, "It's getting harder every year with Arizona fast moving to the left."?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2018, 12:03:33 PM by Roll Roons »

He should've appointed a placeholder and leave Republican voters to decide who will be the person  they want to defend this seat.

There are also a bunch that have tried and failed. Jim Gilmore, George Allen, Bob Kerrey, Linda Lingle, Evan Bayh, Tommy Thompson, Phil Bredesen, Ted Strickland, Charlie Crist, Ronnie Musgrove, Mike Castle. Though I agree Ducey wold have a good chance because he's popular and sitting governors have a much higher success rate than former ones.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »

Hmm i don't think so. Florida isn't moving to the right. It's just slightly right to the nation, and it has quite a strong right-wing and a strong left-wing base. Hispanics and rural voters might have moved to the right though a bit, but it's not a trend that will be consistent i think, as other groups might move to the left. It's still winnable for Democrats.

Arizona might be moving to the left, because they hate Trump and because of demographics, but i don't think a progressive right now has a chance in Arizona. Those states have a lot of suburbs, and i think suburbs rather want moderate Democrats.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »

He should've appointed a placeholder and leave Republican voters to decide who will be the person  they want to defend this seat.

Hmm i don't think so. Florida isn't moving to the right. It's just slightly right to the nation, and it has quite a strong right-wing and a strong left-wing base. Hispanics and rural voters might have moved to the right though a bit, but it's not a trend that will be consistent i think, as other groups might move to the left. It's still winnable for Democrats.

Arizona might be moving to the left, because they hate Trump and because of demographics, but i don't think a progressive right now has a chance in Arizona. Those states have a lot of suburbs, and i think suburbs rather want moderate Democrats.

...sounds like a good match for Joe Biden
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »

Ah, fair enough. It still must be pretty rare for someone to lose a Senate race, and then become a Senator anyway two months later.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2018, 12:02:37 PM by UWS »

I guess that McSally winning the special election requires Trump winning Arizona in 2020 by a bigger margin than in 2016 when he won it by just 3.5 percentage points over Hillary Clinton.

And McSally didn't lose by that much. It was so close.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »

I guess that McSally winning the special election requires Trump winning Arizona in 2020 by a bigger margin than in 2016 when he won it by just 3.5 percentage points over Hillary Clinton.

And McSally didn't lose by that much. It was so close.

McSally has Trump shackled to her ankle, so if Trump loses AZ, she probably loses too.

That's why it would have been wise for the Republicans to appoint someone else who can distance himself/herself from Trump.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »

Thats why suburban districts elected such moderates as Mike Levin and Katie Porter.....wait.

Lets just be honest, the voters dont care about ideology, and taking the wave of D+8 and applying to the 2016 results gets around the same margin Sinema got, D+3. AZ is definitely moving Left, due to the Coloradification of the Maricopa area, not because of some appeal to centrist Roll Eyes
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »

Who will be senior Senator from Arizona? McSally or Sinema?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »

Who will be senior Senator from Arizona? McSally or Sinema?

It's been said above, but Sinema will be Senior Senator due to the number of terms she's had in the House (3), compared to McSally (2).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »

Wasn’t former Sen. Kyl appointed for this seat ? What happened ?
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »

Kyl was never planning on holding the seat until the special.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »

There are also a bunch that have tried and failed. Jim Gilmore, George Allen, Bob Kerrey, Linda Lingle, Evan Bayh, Tommy Thompson, Phil Bredesen, Ted Strickland, Charlie Crist, Ronnie Musgrove, Mike Castle. Though I agree Ducey wold have a good chance because he's popular and sitting governors have a much higher success rate than former ones.

Well, in the List I gave all except for Jeanne Shaheen were sitting Governors when they won their Senate Seats. Shaheen was the only excemption who lost. She was reelected in 2000, decided to run for Senate when Bob Smith retired, lost to John E. Sununu in 2002 before beating him in 2008.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »

He said he would resign at the end of the year.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »

He was only appointed 'til the end of the year (and to vote for Kavanaugh)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »

Kyl was never planning on holding the seat until the special.

So why did he agree to the appointment if he’s only serving a few months ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies