MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:07:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 73
Poll
Question: ..............
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8  (Read 143470 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »

If Pressley doesn't run, I think Espy would be solid against McDaniel, he's giving me Doug Jones vibes.

*clapping* Doug Jones didn't win, Roy Moore lost

And Ralph Northam didn't win, Ed Gillespie lost. And tomorrow it won't be Conor Lamb who would have wom but Rick Saccone who would have lost.
Democrats never win, it's the Republicans who lose.

You're delusional if you don't believe Roy Moore was the reason that seat was lost. It was 100% him. Literally ANY other Republican would have won easily.

But the point is that Roy Moore would have won against a weaker candidate than Doug Jones.

Well yeah. I definitely agree with that.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »

Strange would have beat Jones like 60-36

Do you even read other people's posts?

There were no September polls that showed Jones beating Strange.  The only polls that had Jones winning against Strange came out after the Moore allegations, which substantially cut Republican enthusiasm (and that would have been felt in match-ups featuring Strange as well).

Without Moore as the GOP nominee, there never would have been the opportunity for national Democrats to have become so invested in the race following the pedo allegations.  Without the enthusiasm and fundraising that Moore's missteps handed the Democrats, there's absolutely no way that Strange would have lost this contest. 
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2018, 05:31:28 PM »

There were no September polls that showed Jones beating Strange.  The only polls that had Jones winning against Strange came out after the Moore allegations, which substantially cut Republican enthusiasm (and that would have been felt in match-ups featuring Strange as well).

Without Moore as the GOP nominee, there never would have been the opportunity for national Democrats to have become so invested in the race following the pedo allegations.  Without the enthusiasm and fundraising that Moore's missteps handed the Democrats, there's absolutely no way that Strange would have lost this contest. 

FOX had a tied poll before the allegations.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »

FOX had a tied poll before the allegations.

Yes, tied between Moore and Jones.  Not Jones and Strange.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »

Or perhaps it was because Strange was also a scandal-tarred candidate who would have a hard time winning, and certainly not with the ridiculous margin you mentioned.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2018, 07:26:04 PM »

Chris McDaniel in 2014: "We have fought too long, we have fart too hard to have a voice in this party."
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2018, 07:58:15 PM »

Survey conducted by Wicker's campaign tested GOP voters in DeSoto County. Wicker has a 44-29 lead over McDaniel despite McDaniel winning over 70% of the vote in the same county against Cochran in the runoff. Also includes favorability and Trump approval and stuff like that.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »

Feel like Trump's approvals among Republican voters in Mississippi are one of the most obvious and useless numbers ever.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #358 on: March 09, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »

If Pressley doesn't run, I think Espy would be solid against McDaniel, he's giving me Doug Jones vibes.

And Ralph Northam didn't win, Ed Gillespie lost. And tomorrow it won't be Conor Lamb who would have wom but Rick Saccone who would have lost.

You're delusional if you don't believe Roy Moore was the reason that seat was lost. It was 100% him. Literally ANY other Republican would have won easily.

But the point is that Roy Moore would have won against a weaker candidate than Doug Jones.

So it's ridiculous to say that Jones's victory had nothing to do with Jones. Or that a candidate being similar to Doug Jones wouldn't be good news for that person's chances.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #359 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:13 PM »

So it's ridiculous to say that Jones's victory had nothing to do with Jones. Or that a candidate being similar to Doug Jones wouldn't be good news for that person's chances.

Jones was a great candidate. That doesn’t change the fact that a normal Republican (Luther Strange) would have beat him.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2018, 05:35:56 AM »

Jones was a great candidate. That doesn’t change the fact that a normal Republican (Luther Strange) would have beat him.

Races like AL 2017 and MA 2010 require three perfect storms to occur:
1. Poor candidate quality on the incumbent party's behalf, (typically worsened by scandal)
2. A strong wave-insurance type candidate, with a compelling life story/experience, who can come out swinging and fight for every last vote.
3. A collapse in the approval ratings of the incumbent president

To say Moore lost or Jones won is to misrepresent the race, the two are intrinsically linked.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

Survey conducted by Wicker's campaign tested GOP voters in DeSoto County. Wicker has a 44-29 lead over McDaniel despite McDaniel winning over 70% of the vote in the same county against Cochran in the runoff. Also includes favorability and Trump approval and stuff like that.
64% female poll of GOP voters is junk.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #362 on: March 11, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »

Espy running against wicker and Presley in the special is a great Democratic ticket. SP would not have enough of a chance to win realistically, in either race, and either race, but it would be at least competitive enough to drive up black turnout, and possibly put Presley over-the-top.

Democrats beating wicker is simply too far bridge to realistically ever cross
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #363 on: March 11, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »

No word on possible replacements yet?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »

Espy running against wicker and Presley in the special is a great Democratic ticket. SP would not have enough of a chance to win realistically, in either race, and either race, but it would be at least competitive enough to drive up black turnout, and possibly put Presley over-the-top.

Democrats beating wicker is simply too far bridge to realistically ever cross

Espy can’t run against Wicker - it’s too late to file.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »

Will that mean a tied Senate at 49-49 after Cochran steps down and assuming McCain does as well later on this year?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #366 on: March 11, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »

Will that mean a tied Senate at 49-49 after Cochran steps down and assuming McCain does as well later on this year?
No, the governors (both Republicans) will appoint interim senators.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #367 on: March 12, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »

Delbert Hosemann, a potential Bryant appointee, says he's not running for reelection as SoS in 2019.  He was widely expected to run for LG in 2019, but his comments today left open the possibility of running for Cochran's seat in the special election. 
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »

Delbert Hosemann, a potential Bryant appointee, says he's not running for reelection as SoS in 2019.  He was widely expected to run for LG in 2019, but his comments today left open the possibility of running for Cochran's seat in the special election. 

I’ll alwahs admire him telling Kobach to go jump in the Gulf.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2018, 03:18:07 AM »

When will there be any polling in Mississippi?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:21 AM »

I think the argument is that Espy would be a good candidate in case the Republicans nominate another Roy Moore type. It's like, we probably can't bake a cake but we at least might have one ingredient.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2018, 04:37:25 AM »

I think the argument is that Espy would be a good candidate in case the Republicans nominate another Roy Moore type. It's like, we probably can't bake a cake but we at least might have one ingredient.

1. Even McDaniel isn't a Roy Moore (no known "sexual harrasment" accusations).
2. Espy is far less "a great candidate", then Jones was, with it's own "skeletons".
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »

Espy’s not even an average candidate tbh.  O/c it’s a moot point since we’d really need Hood (not running) or Presley.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:23 PM »

Btw, it's a google survey. Ugh...
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #374 on: March 13, 2018, 10:07:37 PM »

Btw, it's a google survey. Ugh...
This is excellent news for Democrats if Presley is already leading.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies