How would you vote ... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:50:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How would you vote ... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: in the Austrian "conscription referendum" in January 2013 ?
Keep the mandatory 6-month draft and 9 month civil service

Abolish the draft & civil service and create a professional army

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: How would you vote ...  (Read 27016 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: December 14, 2010, 04:55:44 AM »

"Keep only the draftees and sack all the professional soldiers" is presumably not an option?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »

Slaves weren't paid wages. And could be corporally punished.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »

No hard work in the army for draftees. Nor on most Zivi jobs. The most you can argue it's a waste of time. But most people leaving school don't really know what to do anyways (hence why the FSJ/FÖJ has become so popular ever since fewer people get called up.)

It's not comparable in any way or form to slavery, at least as the west knew it - and I'm including serfdom here.
It's also rather insulting not just to those not many generations away from having been slaves, but also to draft veterans. Or former Zivis, might I add. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »

No, Antonio....I have a good lawyer. I didn't do military service Smiley

You dirty privileged... Grin

Seriously though, I would also probably have tried any possible way to escape it. Wink

Yeah it's pretty crazy, the way it works in Germany right now. Only about 50% of 18-year olds are declared "medically fit" to serve......and of those, only about 50% ever actually get a letter telling them to report for duty.

Unfortunately, I was unlucky on both Smiley

What do you need to be "mentally fit" to serve in the military ? I thought officers prefered when their soldiers don't think too much. Grin

In Austria, about 15% of those drafted each year are determined "unfit" for service due to medical or psychlogical reasons, including me. That's why I had the luck to do neither service: military, nor civil service ... Wink

Do you take a test or something like that to be deemed unfit ? How does than work.

Yeah, it's called the "Musterung", in which every 18-year old Austrian guy has to drive to the next military commando center, get rid of his clothes and is left only with either green or pink underpants. Then the medical and psychological tests start. I was ruled "unfit for service" because I have a congenital valvular heart defect (nothing serious though, but the military cannot risk taking people with heart problems, for legal reasons or so).
I don't think there's such a thing as a draft system that didn't have that. It was called the Physical Evaluation back when the US had a draft.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies