DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:49:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 270009 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:33 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:54 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I ing hate using this comparison), tantamount to every person who supported Hitler because they thought he was the right thing for their country.
I agree. Atlas posters who support Trump really have zero excuses, though.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:52:10 PM »

Scumbags like Hawley and Cruz are really just trying to save their own asses right now.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:56:54 PM »

Also, all the talking heads on CNN calling this a literal "insurrection" will get what they're asking for.  If you go too far in demonizing these protesters/rioters, then you will invariably create the very demons you're supposedly petrified by. 

Law enforcement has learned to deescalate situations for the sake of public safety (which appears to be what's going on at the moment); I only wish our news media had the same sense of civic responsibility. 

The true enemy of the people.  100%
This is deranged, even for you. You are looking at this and what you are seeing is protesters being DEMONIZED? WTF man? Get a grip.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 02:09:31 AM »

Guy on MSNBC just said he gives no f—ks what other news outlets are telling their journalists they can say, then outright called this a “coup attempt” and “insurrection” and “sedition.”
CNN's been calling it an "insurrection" and "sedition" all night.
That's mild. They should rightfully be labelled "terrorists" or "traitors" or preferably both.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 03:06:56 AM »

The fact that about 70% of house republicans still objected to the PA electors shows that the idea that republicans are having a come to Jesus moment, is complete fantasy. The republican party is very much a Trump cult.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 03:42:32 AM »

There are only two things I am willing to hear from Trump supporters right now.

1) "I am sorry. My vote aided and abetted an attempt at a fascist coup in the United States. I will now live the rest of my life attempting to atone for what I have done."

2) "I am clearly a terrible judge of character. Democrats, please educate me. How did you know the warning signs of Trump's narcissistic, dictatorial personality before I did? Before I ever cast another vote, I should learn how to watch for these things."

Anything else is either apologism, whataboutism, or genuine fascism.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:49 PM »

Capitol police has charged the following 14 people in relation with yesterday's events:

Unlawful Entry:
Leonard Guthrie, Cape May, N.J.
John Anderson, St. Augustine, Fla.
Matthew Council, Riverview, Fla.
Bradley Ruskelas, Inverness, Ill.
Michael Curzio, Summerfield, Fla
Cindy Fitchett, Cobbs Creek, Va.
Terry Brown, Myerstown, Pa.
Douglas Sweet, Hudgins, Va.
Thomas Gallagher, Bridgewater, N.H.
Zandra Sixkiller-Cramer, Glenwood, Md.

Assaulting a Police Officer, Unlawful Entry, Resisting Arrest:
Mark Leffingerwell, No fixed address

CPWL & Unregistered ammunition:
Grant Moore, Buford, Ga.

CPWL, Unregistered Firearm, Unregistered Ammunition:
Lonnie Zoffman, Falkville, Al.

Assaulting a Police Officer:
David Blair, Clarksburg, Md.
That is so weak...unlawful entry...are you kidding me? You think if this had been a band of Muslims forcing themselves into Capitol Hill yelling Allahu Akbar that they would be charged with f***ing unlawful entry? You think if this had been Antifa or BLM, they would have been charged with unlawful entry??

Utterly crazy.

These people should be charged with terrorism or treason.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 12:56:58 PM »

How many trumpsters are left on atlas at this point? Genuinely curious as almost all the blue avatars I’ve seen have turned on him at this point as well.

My guess would be:

-Arizona Iced Tea
-Buzz? Not sure
-Fuzzy Bear
-Del Tachi
-PRESIDENT STANTON

Idk about Jessica, RFayette, and SN.

Buzz denounced Trump yesterday, so you can cross him off the list. Del Tachi, however, seems to be defending or justifying what happened, and Fuzzy Bear wasn't even online yesterday.

Fuzzy has not been online since I told him he didn't understand grade school level math.

Why did you say that to him?

He's a 2020 election conspiracist.
The deroute of Fuzzy has been the most saddening thing I have witness whilst on this site. While I have never agreed with him politically, he did not use to be this deranged. He has just gone further and further down the rabbit hole and I don't think there is any way back for him. Sad.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 04:11:29 PM »

the 100 days of the Siege of Portland, the CHAZ, etc were all more violent than this event.
This is an absolutely insane take.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »

Something that's been bothering me:

When I watched Joe Biden speak live, all I could think about is how elderly and frail he sounded. He didn't sound strong, and strength is something we need in light of a mob attack on the Capitol. He sounded very weak. I don't have confidence in him.
Have confidence in this: Joe Biden has kept a cool head throughout ALL of this. The only time he was even close to losing his cool was during the first "debate" and who the hell could blame him. Joe Biden knows what he is doing. He knows the system. He knows to keep competent people around him. His administration will run smoothly.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »

Sen Roy Blunt: Trump "learned his lesson", shouldn't resign

Quote from: Daily Beast
Remember when Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) explained away her decision to acquit President Donald Trump of impeachment last year because, in her opinion, “the president has learned from this case?”

Well, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) gave us the sequel to that hopelessly naive notion on Sunday morning.

“I think the country is the right way to hold presidents accountable,” he said. “The president should be very careful over the next 10 days that his behavior is what you would expect from the leader of the greatest country in the world.”

“My personal view is that the president touched the hot stove on Wednesday and is unlikely to touch it again,” the senator continued. “And if that’s the case, we get—every day we get closer to the last day of his presidency. We should be thinking more about the first day of the next presidency than the last day of his presidency.”
Such a facepalm moment.

"Hey everybody. Trump saw that the coup backfired. I'm sure he's not going to do anything else irrational. Let's just ignore this and carry on!"
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 03:45:11 AM »

They were reporting that urine and feces was strewn throughout the capitol. Talk about some ironic symbolism for what the cult leader they worship has spent the last four years doing.

I have a very racist, ignorant, MAGA (repetitive, I know) brother who delights in calling black people "monkeys", as the n-word isn't quite degrading enough for him.

Now we know the rioters were literally spreading their feces around the Capitol.

I will with no small amount of pleasure be referring to the trump rioters as monkeys (loudly) from this day forward, particularly in his presence (which admittedly is not very often b/c he's insufferable). Literally can't wait for the pandemic to be over so we can have a large family gathering again.
I saw someone online refer to the MAGA cult as Death Eaters. I liked that. Seemed very fitting. We should all call them that.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

I don't understand why members of the House need to be fined for refusing to walk through metal detectors.

Just deny entry.  Can they walk onto a plane without going thru one?

They are lawfully elected members of a national legislature, not customers conducting a transaction.

It also seems like a petty tyranny, which is why I asked about it. What conceivable safety benefit is there to scanning the bodies of every member?

I somewhat agree with this, but violence has happened on the House floor in the past between members. Given how crazy some of these new people are, I honestly wouldn't put it past them to lose their cool and start waving a gun around.

So members of Congress can be trusted to vote on every piece of legislation affecting the country, but not to refrain from shooting their colleagues?

And we're supposed to take this seriously as a threat because Boebert likes to showboat about gun laws and violence in the House was a thing before electricity?

I take the riot extremely seriously but unless there's a much stronger case for it that no one is discussing, this seems like obvious security theater and a form of it that betrays some deeply undemocratic instincts. It would be more honest if those making the argument were willing to acknowledge that.
We now have literal QAnon wackos in congress. With people as lunatic as that, there’s no telling what they might do. We are not talking about regular rational people here.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 03:06:54 AM »

So for those of you wondering about the whole March 4th thing - there’s actually a really stupid reason for it.

The Sovereign Citizen movement is a group of conspiracists that believe that the US ceased to exist as a sovereign nation in the 19th century, after President Grant signed a law declaring DC a corporate municipality (altering how local government runs). They erroneously believe that the US was replaced with a corporation - and that any flag with gold leaf is a symbol of the US Corporation - which is property of the City of London.

It’s real dumb.

Anyway. Since the inauguration date was moved in the intervening period, they believe that it is not legitimate.

What has happened is that Qanon and the SCs have crossed over, with some people now believing both. They somehow believe that Trump, who is still in command, will return as President on March 4th, because that’s the day that inaugurations used to be held (before the date was moved up to January).

They believe Trump has somehow dissolved the US corporation, and will take office as the 19th President (all presidents since Grant (the 18th President) being illegitimate puppets of the Corporation).

All this is clearly ludicrous. But it’s an example of how Q’s repeated errors is only radicalising the remaining cultists further. They’ve been driven into a rabid fervour, and are desperate to see their demonic democratic opponents sundered. When that didn’t happen, they had to come up with a new deadline. Like any doomsday cult, their proposed judgment day is come and gone - and now they’re grappling with the cognitive dissonance.

If you want to learn more, I recommend the linked BBC article. Also, Travis View is doing some great research on the whole Qanon situation at large - his stuff is cynical, but well written.
www.bbc.com/news/amp/blogs-trending-56260345
There's some of that sure, but most of them don't believe in things happening on a particular date and dismissively refers to that as "date-fagging". I spend way way way too much time on the major Q board.

Either way, they will continue to believe their nonsense for a loooong time to come.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies