Opinion of "Occupy Wall Street"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:16:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of "Occupy Wall Street"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Poll
Question: ??
Freedom Movement

Horrible Movement

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 147

Author Topic: Opinion of "Occupy Wall Street"  (Read 29559 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »

How long are the lot of you going to keep this up?

The irony is you posted over an hour after people stopped posting.
Link
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »

The problem with a lot of posters on this forum is they are teenagers with minimal real life experience who presume to know the struggles of people in their late twenties or thirties.  Life isn't as simple as you think it is young buck.  A lot of those protestors you "don't care about" were young idealists that did as they were told, got a solid education, obeyed the law, and at the end of it all all they got was six figures of student loan debt and a pink slip while Wall Street 1%ers get seven figure bonuses.

It is still too early for people on the right or left to characterize who these people are.  Some have college degrees and some are blue collar.  I think both you and your teacher are wrong.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »

Christ. Reading all this back and forth sh**t is depressing. How long are the lot of you going to keep this up?

Anyway, my history teacher, Democrat, claims the Occupy Wall Street crowd are "workin' class people", to which my response was "Um, I'm not sure, but how would working class people have the time to occupy wall street?"

Unemployment?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »

Yeah, people who break the laws are always bad, and people who uphold them are always good, I agree.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2011, 06:17:43 PM »

And anybody arrested by the police is always guilty, the police never arrest protesters or beat them up for no reason.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »

I don't believe I said that.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »

No but certain people seem to think that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »

Don't forget: Tea Parties dress up like jackasses...

lowtech redneck
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »

There can be no clearer sign of the difference between the Tea party and the OWS movement than the treatment of them by the media.

You mean the media that has treated the OWS with kid gloves and huge exposure while alternatively ignoring/demonizing the Tea Parties for almost two years?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »

There can be no clearer sign of the difference between the Tea party and the OWS movement than the treatment of them by the media.

You mean the media that has treated the OWS with kid gloves and huge exposure while alternatively ignoring/demonizing the Tea Parties for almost two years?

Are you kidding?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »

The Invaders display their brand of patriotism - http://news.yahoo.com/photos/member-occupy-wall-st-movement-walks-over-u-photo-210130472.html
Link
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 10:39:06 AM by Link »

The Invaders display their brand of patriotism

Barbarians.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »

Classy, too, Link...

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »

They're basically just the left-wing Tea Party; really dumb & really angry. As such, I approve of all attempts to make this circus funnier.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »

They're basically just the left-wing Tea Party; really dumb & really angry.

Both groups are statistically more educated than the average american.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »

The average American should hang his head in shame, then.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »

The average American is probably a lot smarter than the wealthier, "better educated", politically active Americans.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2011, 04:12:16 PM »

2. "Educated" is not equivalent to "informed about politics, finance, and economics." That said, both Tea Partiers and Occupiers are apparently relatively educated, and the Tea Partiers at least are relatively wealthy. Then again, politically engaged individuals typically are.

Oh of course, having actually been on a college campus I could have told you that. But it had to be pointed out. And PiT's response is my standard one to anything political anyway.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

The average American is probably a lot smarter than the wealthier, "better educated", politically active Americans.

Smarter in what sense?

Well for one thing, they're probably more in touch with the ugly reality of the United States economy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

1. Some would say the same of those who use sexist language and make uninformed generalizations.

2. "Educated" is not equivalent to "informed about politics, finance, and economics." That said, both Tea Partiers and Occupiers are apparently relatively educated, and the Tea Partiers at least are relatively wealthy. Then again, politically engaged individuals typically are.

3. Some of the Occupiers' concerns, particularly those relating to student loans and the increasing cost of post-secondary education, speak directly to the median American's lack thereof.

1. Generic third-person singulars are highly problematic in English. It's either sexist, dehumanizing, clunky, or just grammatically incorrect. Jumping on someone for not using the one you want is pointless in the extreme. Besides, my attitude is pretty much the same as Mint's; assume the worst about any politician or political movement, for you will likely be correct.

2. Aye, educated people can be blitheringly stupid. They have less excuse for it, though, since they are supposedly more informed about the way things are.

3. Assuming they have identified the issues correctly. Of course, that there is a "need" for post-secondary education here is the real issue, since it is devaluing higher education. A college degree used to be a great boon that set an applicant apart from the pack, now it is a basic requirement for a good job. I would suggest more rigorous secondary school curriculum that included actual preparation for real-world employment, so people can make better money on a high school diploma.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »

Some of my friends and I went to the Scumbaggers rally at City Hall. I have some great pictures on the way!
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »

3. Assuming they have identified the issues correctly. Of course, that there is a "need" for post-secondary education here is the real issue, since it is devaluing higher education. A college degree used to be a great boon that set an applicant apart from the pack, now it is a basic requirement for a good job. I would suggest more rigorous secondary school curriculum that included actual preparation for real-world employment, so people can make better money on a high school diploma.

Except it really isn't. There's plenty of well paying (skilled) blue collar work out there that you can get with just technical training, community college, etc. And plenty of majors obviously don't pay well. Of course I'm a hypocrite since I'm in History right now and basically all that you can get with that alone is stuff in archiving, curating, government work or maybe a position as campus butt monkey adjunct professor. I have no idea what I'll do if I don't go onto something like Law School.

In any case, what will happen with the college bubble is pretty obvious. It should be fun to watch when tuition spikes and enough people de-facto default on their student loans to bankrupt the system. I'll probably be done with all this by then though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »

I would suggest more rigorous secondary school curriculum that included actual preparation for real-world employment, so people can make better money on a high school diploma.

Agreed! Though I can't help but to point out that this seems to contradict your point about how the average American should "hang [his or her/their] head in shame."

Apropos your "assume the worst" attitude... I'm also cautious about politicians and movements, but I think that there's also a danger in writing them off as stupid or ignorant by default. Besides, respect for the political process and those involved is vital to the health of any democracy.

Educated people may have "less excuse" for stupidity, but one reality of education in the United States is that it doesn't put a huge emphasis on civics. It's easy to get an advanced degree, even in the social sciences or the humanities, without ever thinking very much about American politics or acquiring much understanding or knowledge about the current state of affairs or how the process works.

Another note: My point about gendered language is not relevant to the matter at hand, but I don't consider it to be trivial. Better clunky or ungrammatical than sexist.

The comment on hanging one's head in shame was less of a serious point & more of a way of lamenting how little value education can have.

I think these movements can be stupid or ignorant & still have value. The problem is, the stupidity & ignorance of these movements act as a barrier to them actually doing anything, which causes them to be self-marginalizing. Looking at the Tea Party, they have actually helped elect Democrats in certain instances (DE-SEN being a glaring example). Pretty sure that doesn't help them achieve their goals.

Not to mention people growing up with the politics of their parents or their communities who accept that view as gospel & don't really bother to question it. College campuses these days are something of an echo chamber, which is quite a shame. I was once told that the greatest commendation of the cosmopolitan lifestyle is that it makes you consider other points of view, but then I saw that it doesn't even do that right.

It may not be trivial, but I do not really think about such things, & have used other forms as the spirit moved me. The implications of language are quite horrifying if one really thinks about it, but we use it throughout our lives with little thought.

Except it really isn't. There's plenty of well paying (skilled) blue collar work out there that you can get with just technical training, community college, etc. And plenty of majors obviously don't pay well. Of course I'm a hypocrite since I'm in History right now and basically all that you can get with that alone is stuff in archiving, curating, government work or maybe a position as campus butt monkey adjunct professor. I have no idea what I'll do if I don't go onto something like Law School.

In any case, what will happen with the college bubble is pretty obvious. It should be fun to watch when tuition spikes and enough people de-facto default on their student loans to bankrupt the system. I'll probably be done with all this by then though.

I thought about apprenticing after making that post. It is definitely possible to make good money without a college education, but many people don't realize that. That is part of why we see the devaluation of education, or the college bubble as you describe it. Another part is the idea of middle-class entitlement combined with a lack of knowledge of how to actually achieve such a thing. People often seem to believe in silver bullets; if I get a degree then I will live well, when things are not that simple.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »

We began by seeing "Shiz Mac's" little creation. Yes, he emphasized that he created this. It's a work of art, not just some mess...

...ran into Mitt Romney on our journey around the premises...

...then had the expected dose of paranoia...

...saw Senator Toomey....

...and topped it all off with the indisputable best finding at the event. It's something that could unite all of us. Amazingly enough, something at this rally would even bring a tear - or should I say especially bring a tear - to Naso's eye...

Yes, folks, '80s Prom Night at Occupy Philly. It was held after the "General Assembly" meeting so we missed it but I can just imagine the greatness. And that sums this all up: serious rally? No. Joke? Absolutely.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies