What undermimes marriage more? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:21:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What undermimes marriage more? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What undermimes marriage more?
High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages etc

Gays and lesbians wanting to marry.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: What undermimes marriage more?  (Read 28826 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 03, 2006, 04:57:43 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2006, 05:03:34 PM by afleitch »

Methinks Bush is targeting the wrong people...

EDIT: I for one support civil unions first, then marriage as a possibility a generation down the line. I am just sick of gays and lesbians being made a scapegoat for a weakened President and peoples crappy marriage prospects.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 08:45:42 AM »

StatesRights stated that marriage was created for the purposes of procreation, so it would therefore naturally follow that infertile couples (who cannot procreate) should not be permitted to marry.

Likewise it would also exclude marriage to a woman who is post-menopausal or a couple where one has, or contracts an infectious disease like HIV and the risks involved in procreative sex is simply not an option, out of love for each other.

Yet it would mean thatn shot gun marriages, marriages for money, marriages to secure residency in certain nations, marriages between 20 something blondes and 90 year old millionaries, marriages that break up after a few months and end up in divorce, remarriage, remarriage for the 3rd 5th and 5th time, forced marriage, arranged marriage and marriages of convenience are all more valid than the marriage of two men or two women out of love for one another.

Secondly most of the NT stuff about 'homosexuality' isn't actually about it at all, its about male prostitution and the (possibly deliberate) mistranslation from the ancient greek of the word 'arsenokoiten'; and when you look at Paul 1:25, that directly precedes the infamous Paul 1: 26-27 you can see that quite clearly, when he condemns idolatrous worship and so in 26-27 is actually attacking temple prostitutes, but I've already explained all that in an older thread.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 02:55:12 PM »

High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages are the problem not gay marriage.

I wonder how many of the pastors who bellow from the pulpits about the issue have been divorced/had affairs and so on Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:00:48 PM »

If an infertile man or women gets married, it is a sin!

Or an elderly couple who choose to marry Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »

Inks, you are young, you are still impressionable Smiley First of all, I'm not a liberal- i'm an active member of the British Conservative Party. It's not just liberals that support gay marriage or civil unions.

Secondly infertility is not a 'disease.' It's more of a condition. It can be caused by disease yes, but it can also occur through other methods (like the menopause for example)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:13:01 PM »

Those who think marriage is only for 'making babies' actually undermime it more than anyone else- neglecting love and devotion. Sex is for having kids, marriage is a bond between two people who love each other unconditionally.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:16:55 PM »

No--the criteria is if there are no MEDICAL abnormalities, it's OK.  In fertility it is a condition in the sexual organs that causes it.  You're brain/heart doesn't say, "I can't have kids."  There IS a difference.

Infertility can also be the result of long term physchological factors. Its not always physical.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 06:20:30 PM »

No--the criteria is if there are no MEDICAL abnormalities, it's OK.  In fertility it is a condition in the sexual organs that causes it.  You're brain/heart doesn't say, "I can't have kids."  There IS a difference.

Infertility can also be the result of long term physchological factors. Its not always physical.

Did you mean psychological (not being sarcastic)?

Yes, it was a mispelling, but psychological factors such as stress and grief brought about by loss can affect fertility.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »

It's not just liberals that support gay marriage or civil unions.

To be fair, it's liberals and gays.

Sure it is Jake...sure it is. It is far wider political circle than that. Liberatarians spring to mind for example.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 06:26:20 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2006, 06:27:23 PM by Alcon »

How.  Explain to me how stress effects fertility.

Impotence is the well known one.

Read about other ways here:

Reuters

Shortened the URL to avoid horizontal scrollbar.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 06:27:28 PM »

Have you ever seen any other homosexual thing other than a human?

Take a look at the animal kingdom - it's all around you. Male American bison have been known to penetrate each other for example.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »

I would say that any Christian who is gay has some serious problems.  

I am. And I get along just fine thanks Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 06:31:21 PM »

How.  Explain to me how stress effects fertility.

Impotence is the well known one.

Read about other ways here:

Reuters

Shortened the URL to avoid horizontal scrollbar.

Right--I know this--I just want you to explain it, so that when I counter it, you can't say that that's not what you meant.

Huh?? How the hell can you counter well documented and observed homosexual behaviour in the animal kingdom?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 06:32:50 PM »

Gays know (or at least should--deep down in their heart after learning biology) that what they believe is wrong.

Not really. If you actually lean biology you tend to realise that homosexuality is pretty common across the board from hedgehogs to humans.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 06:38:24 PM »

As the result of psychological problems- not 'disease' as you were originally arguing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 06:41:33 PM »

I would say that any Christian who is gay has some serious problems.  

I am. And I get along just fine thanks Smiley

Then I would say you have some serious docrtrinal issues.

Hmm? Why would you say that? It's not certain that homosexuality (as a sexual orientation and all that) is even mentioned in the New Testament (the bit in Romans may have been in reference to male prostitution).

Indeed. It all hinges on the translation and context of the Greek word arsenokoites/en which when you look at the context of where it is used (in lists of economic sins and those relating to money and trade) it refers to male/gay prostitution both as a trade and as a part of idolatrous temple worship.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 06:44:13 PM »

Thats the Old Testament. The 'teachings of Jesus Christ' were found in the New Testament.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »

So then, if an unborn baby can psychologically "become" (i know it's the wrong word) gay, if it's that advanced, why can we still abort it?  IF it can "choose" it's sexual orientation--which will determine what happens the rest of it's life, shouldn't it be considered living?

Di you choose your eye colour? Did you choose your gender while you were in the womb?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 06:49:20 PM »

Thats the Old Testament. The 'teachings of Jesus Christ' were found in the New Testament.

I know--I take Bible class.

But you used it to rebut Als discussion of what the NT contains and what Christ said or did not say. Therfore Sodom and Gomorra, being part of the OT is not a valid rebuttal
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 06:49:54 PM »

Ink, your getting lost as to where you are trying to go. Slow down a little.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 06:51:54 PM »

That makes no sense.

EDIT: Jinx Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 06:56:07 PM »

For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet" (Romans 1:26, 27).

Did you look at Romans 1:25 just right before that?

'For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature and not the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen'

He was talking about prostitution during idolatrous worship
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »

If Joe abortion Dr. says unborn Sammy can be killed b/c he's not a life, but he can "decide" (i KNOW its the wrong word) that he's gay--there's a contradiction there.

But Dr Joe can't actually tell if the baby in the womb will be gay or straight- he could take a guess, based on research and throw up a probability. Just the same way he can take a guess at whats it eye colour might be, or if it has his mothers or fathers nose. He may be spot on, he may be way off. You don't know until it is born.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:41 PM »

Which is in the Old Testament, not the New. But I'll run with this anyway...

It seems to me that the sins of the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah were the fact that they tended to rape newcomers to their cities, rather than homosexuality...

That's how I interpret it. Again the key word is disputed, the Hebrew- 'yada' - which means to know, to have knowledge of. It doesn't really have much sexual connotation to it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »

or homosexual practices during idol worship--but drop it--we won't agree on the greek translation.

Do you actually know anything about the greek translation? (that isn't creamed from google) And yes homosexual practices were condemned during idol worship...as were heterosexual practices elswhere in the NT. It doesn't mean he sees them as wrong, but only wrong in context- ie idol worship and prostitution. Not long term, stable gay relationships.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies