DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 09:21:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 41194 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »

Lolll desperately wanna hear the “Manchin is playing chess” crowd.

I may have been dead wrong on Georgia. But this was crystal clear.

It’s also reprehensible. period. This kills the bill for a generation.

Why not 2023 after D's win the the Trifecta again, aren't you optimistic D's are gonna net gain seats, but we know you say D's are gonna lose the H, but that's not guarenteed

Jesus give it up. ZERO chance and I do mean Zero that the trifecta survives

I agree with you iin.oart that Biden is corrupted and deserves to lose because the Biden Justice Dept confiscated the Guiliani Computer that had Hunter Ukraine probe, but voters are voting for Checking Congress, and Congress is on the line whom isn't connected with Hunter Biden

If McCarthy becomes Speaker he will investigate Hunter Biden like Boehner did Benghazi, but Ds lead on Generic ballot 47)42 , it's not over til it's over
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2021, 05:40:59 PM »

The only Constitutional Amendment Rs support is making Eleanor Norton a voting Rep without the Senators with Lisa Murkowski has introduced
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »

I'll be donating to Manchin's Republican opponent in 2024. He's the most evil person in the US Senate. Worse than Cruz, Hawley, Sinema, and McConnell combined.

In a tied Senate the Rs can join with Sinema or Manchin to block confirmation of unqualified Judges and Cabinet, they haven't filled any judge's but Cabinet they have, that's the consequences of a Power sharing agreement, Joe Manchin have already blocked cabinet members

If they get a clear Majority in the Senate 53 they can get rid of Fillibuster after 2022
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2021, 01:44:58 AM »

that implies this is gonna start over again, which I'd assume this specific issue wouldn't

52. Puerto Rico
53. Mariana Islands
54. Virgin Islands
Stop dreaming if D's get 53 Seats DC Statehood would only be enacted not PR statehood, there are moderates opposing PR Tester Sinema and Manchin, Manchin supports DC STATEHOOD not PR due to proximity to WVA

Just like Feinstein put the breaks on Crt packing

If D's get 53 votes after 2023 Manchin will vote for DC Statehood, only
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2021, 04:17:02 PM »

D's are leading the Generic ballot 47/42 and we are gonna win WI, PA, NH, GA, OH, NC will give us the 52 nd seat pending Runoff in GA and D's can keep the H

It's gonna happen anyways, not this term but next term

Swing state D's didn't say no to DC Statehood but no to Crt packing and probably no to PR Statehood, but not with a Constitutional Amendment it can be challenged in SCOTUS
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »

Murkowski proposal has an Amendment that gives Eleanor Norton voting rights but doesn't grant 2 Senators, that Amendment is fully constitutional because you can change the Constitution with an Amendmen, D's say it's unconstitutional, no it's not we didn't have Direct Election of Senators until the Industrial Revolution with Woodrow Wilson and they were elected by state Legislature
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »

Watching all the red avatars getting mad that their power grab failed is the perfect indictment of U.S. politics.

Ds lead on Generic ballot 47:42 and can narrowly hold onto H and get 52/48 Senate after 2022 and Resurrect DC Statehood

There will be split voting between H and Gov and Senators, D's have the battlegrounds to keep H and S
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2021, 04:09:17 PM »

After 2022 with Fetterman and Nelson coming to Senate they will pass DC Statehood, the H can still be won by D's and it will be a 54/48 Senate
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2021, 09:41:49 PM »

dC Statehood is Moot, when you don't see Cookie Damage blogging, you know it's over, Manchin said it crystal clear he isn't voting for DC as is written

The Ds have to win the Next Election cycle, H is gonna be tricky to win, but Biden has the same exact Approvals he had on Election day and D's will have a 51/48 Senate with WARNOCK going to a Runoff, DC Statehood will have to wait til 2023
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2021, 01:20:35 PM »

DC, PR Statehood and Crt Packing are done for now, the best chance for this to happen again is 2026 should Ds lose the H the next midterm is a golden chance to get the H back and we lose the wave states in 2020 and we can get them back then

But, Manchin as Cookie Damage or Solid whatever his name is may have cost D's the H in 2022, if that happens Manchin is Done in 2024

If I were the Ds I would vote for Murkowski Amendment and make Eleanor Norton voting rights only we don't need 2 D Senators right now, it's not unconstitutional the Constitution can be changed with Amendments
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »

The Ds should be patient, they will win in 2022 due to Bidens sky high Approvals, polls this early are meaningless in Red states, they are always the last to go D's, that's why it's called a blue wave.

R voter suppression laws aren't that bad, it mainly deals with provisional voting and eliminated drop boxes and you can drop your ballot at the Post office, why would you drop it in a drop box anyways, anyone can monkey with it. I never do that in Prez Election but I will do it for a local elections, Prez ELECTION is too important
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2021, 06:39:32 PM »

If D's net gain seats and get a Supermajority, Tester, Sinema, and Manchin will all vote in lock step with D's, since they are all up in 2024, Sinema is co sponsor of HR 1

Baker is kneck and kneck with Healey as long as Biden is a Majority Prez, thanks to 2K cheques, there won't be a Red wave
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »

AOC was the one that called it that, she said I quote if Trump continues to block the Stimulus D's would get a Supermajority Senate which means not 60 or 67 seats but enough seats to pass Filibuster reform and Maintenance of H and 53 seats is the magic number if we won NC and ME it would of been passed in 2021 not 2023
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2021, 09:08:34 AM »

Great I hope they pass this
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

Manchin just said he's not breaking Filibuster again, I doubt DC Statehood passes, but if D's do break the rules it will be a breakdown in negotiations, so Commission won't pass
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2021, 12:04:36 AM »

But let’s not act like, at this point, most people aren’t willing to give a single INCH to other side.

If D's get the Trifecta and win 52/48 Senate DC Statehood will be back, Sharpton is vowing to fight for the H and S

On this issue, Democrats legitimately have the moral high ground, while any Republican who opposes it is being nakedly partisan. Thankfully at least DC will be settled in a few weeks.

You expect anyone to take you seriously after this blunder?

Tester in a 52/48 Senate will break the Filibuster on VR and DC Statehood because D's need wave insurance for 2024/ and he knows that
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »

Manchin is still talking bipartisanship, and it's unlikely that the TX D's are gonna get VR passed or DC Statehood, the TX D's came to DC without a plan, it was a Beto plan
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2021, 11:27:26 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

I will wipe my ass with a jumbo slice and eat it if DC ever achieves statehood.  

lulz.  It will never happen.  

Which is why--watching with amusement from across the Potomac--I've never paid much attention to DC statehood news and pretty much tune it out.  

Tester said he is open to DC Statehood if D's get the Trifecta and win 218/217 H and 52/48 Senate seats there will be Statehood

Which is possible
We know the Sen but we don't know H maps
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »

I’m opposed to DC statehood (NOT representation, that’s different) on the grounds that if we start letting random cities and tracts of land join as a state there will be no end to the lunacy of just adding new states to eliminate political opposition.

DC should join either Maryland or Virginia. The people there deserve representation like any other US citizen but the capital city of the country is not a state in and of itself. There’s no remotely comparable example of a tiny municipality just deciding that it was a full fledged state, and breaking precedent sets up a massive can of worms for blatantly partisan reasons.

My personal preference is to add it to Virginia since it’ll do Dems more good there than as part of Maryland, but I don’t think it’ll matter much in 10-15 years anyway.

MD already pernamently ceded DC and all of it's territory, Eleanor Norton already exclaimed this

You can't get back what you pernamently ceded
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »

I’m opposed to DC statehood (NOT representation, that’s different) on the grounds that if we start letting random cities and tracts of land join as a state there will be no end to the lunacy of just adding new states to eliminate political opposition.

DC should join either Maryland or Virginia. The people there deserve representation like any other US citizen but the capital city of the country is not a state in and of itself. There’s no remotely comparable example of a tiny municipality just deciding that it was a full fledged state, and breaking precedent sets up a massive can of worms for blatantly partisan reasons.

My personal preference is to add it to Virginia since it’ll do Dems more good there than as part of Maryland, but I don’t think it’ll matter much in 10-15 years anyway.

MD already pernamently ceded DC and all of it's territory, Eleanor Norton already exclaimed this

You can't get back what you pernamently ceded

Virginia got her half back, and the random opines of a congressional delegate aren't legally binding.

Besides, nothing in law or politics is ever "permanent." Hence why we are now discussing statehood, when it was intended D.C. would "permanently" be a federal district.

Because All the states except for 13 colonies were terrorities based on slave or free, none of the other states aside from 13 colonies were original states which you can admit DC as a State

But, we have to have 218/217 Reps and 52/48 Senators before we can even talk about this after 2022

Manchin and Sinema aren't breaking the Filibuster and Tester knows that we need wave insurence going into 2024 as he is up for Reelection
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2021, 10:18:17 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2021, 10:21:42 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

It’s not a random city or tract of land, it’s an organized federal territory. It’s not like DC is succeeding
Any you know, there are more people than Wyoming and DC has a larger GDP than 16 other states, the only measure by which it’s tiny is number of trees and lawns.
None of that addresses why we should break precedent and make a literal city-state, something we’ve never done before. There’s literally no reason to do that rather than add it to an existing state outside of partisan concerns.

Similarly, there’s no reason to disenfranchise it outside of partisan concerns.

DC is basically just a partisan brute force battle. One day Dems will have a large enough majority and they’ll just force it through, and in response the next time the GOP has a large majority they’ll split Idaho or something. It’ll be the dumbest partisan food fight yet that helps nobody and it’d be infinitely better for the people of the United States to just circumvent that and enfranchise DC in a way that doesn’t break from the central meaning of a state since the inception of this country - as a territory that is governed by a centrally located state government, meant to be able to function as a separate independent body but also as one part of a whole nation.

Conservatives never remember that non states were never states, they were divided into free and slave territory except for the 13 colonies, they were admitted thru an act of Congress, which DC is free to do as well as PR

Conservatives are just mad because all the remaining territory is Black and Brown not slave territory, the Southern states benefitted with slavery and the smaller states have had more power that's why Rs have dominated Congress after Reagan Revolution
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2021, 11:08:49 AM »

It won't become a state unless we have the Trifecta and then if we get 218/217 and 52/48 Senate, Tester has to sign off, those are big ifs, because, we know he s with Sinema and Manchin on the Filibuster now, he said bipartisanship on MTP, but what happens if he, alone has the power to decide the fate of DC STATEHOOD in a 52/48 Senate

Fate of 2024 Senate if we keep H will ride on DC Statehood only because Manchin says now it must be an Amendment
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies