17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:00:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27341 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 16, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »

Guns are a dangerous liability. Toddlers kill more people in the United States than foreign terrorists. Having teachers armed? Be prepared for more of this, only with injuries and death: http://abcnews.go.com/US/minnesota-3rd-grader-fires-police-officers-gun-school/story?id=52866888

A firearm in a home is more likely to be used against you than to defend you.

And you know what? I'd rather let a burglar take my stuff than murder him. I have insurance. Items can be replaced. That life cannot. And the actual lives of children being shot up at school who now are dead are worth a hell of a lot more than my TV in the very unlikely and theoretical situation of a burglary.

Who says he wants your stuff. Maybe he wants to rape your wife or daughter... you don’t know what his motive is

Why are you more afraid of the fake burgular you made to scare yourself in your head than the real massacres being carried out on a bi-annual basis?
kyc0705

« Reply #301 on: February 16, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »

Guns are a dangerous liability. Toddlers kill more people in the United States than foreign terrorists. Having teachers armed? Be prepared for more of this, only with injuries and death: http://abcnews.go.com/US/minnesota-3rd-grader-fires-police-officers-gun-school/story?id=52866888

And you know what? I'd rather let a burglar take my stuff than murder him. I have insurance. Items can be replaced. That life cannot. And the actual lives of children being shot up at school who now are dead are worth a hell of a lot more than my TV in the very unlikely and theoretical situation of a burglary.

Who says he wants your stuff. Maybe he wants to rape your wife or daughter... you don’t know what his motive is

Why are you more afraid of the fake burgular you made to scare yourself in your head than the real massacres being carried out on a bi-annual basis?

And to be sure, in an actual shooting situation, adding to the number of guns being fired is just about the worst idea. You can be a "good guy with a gun," but you're still unloading real bullets that can still hit real people. That's what's so harmful about the hero fantasy: pretending that you could instantaneously become a gunslinging savior, when it's much more likely that you'll just add to the chaos and danger.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »

Burglaries are far more common. Every minute on average, 7 burglaries take place. I’m sure mass shootings would be more of an immediate concern to me if they happened every 8 seconds
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

Semi-automatic rifles are no more dangerous than semi-automatic hand guns, they are more likely to jam and are less concealable.

For 9 years the deadliest mass shooting in modern history, Virginia Tech, was executed with the use of a 9mm handgun and a .22 handgun. Handguns were also exclusively used in Kileen, Texas (1991) 23 killed; Edmond, Oklahoma (1985) 15 killed; Binghamton, New York (2009) 14 killed; and Fort Hood (2009) 13 killed.

Banning semi- automatic rifles specifically doesn't make any sense.

Yes, shootings happen because of other guns too. But please explain to me why would anyone need a semi-automatic rifle? Yes, gun control should focus on other issues too, but semi-automatic rifles should definitely be banned. There's just no single legit reason to keeping them so available.

Hunting.

If you're going to ban rifles you might as well ban handguns too because they're equally efficient at mass killings. Las Vegas is the only incident I can think of where the use of rifles made a difference.

Haha

Anyone who hunts with a semi-automatic weapon is a loser. Seriously, how bad at hunting do you need to be to have a weapon that assists you in any way? If you need one of those to hunt, you shouldn't be allowed to go hunting because you're already probably a tremendous failure at it.

Ok

Maybe you're right and semi-automatic weapons are useful for hunting after all. Smiley

Sorry to take so long to reply to your post, I was out for a jog with my rocket-propelled sneakers. Thankfully those sneakers made me six times faster than usual, or I would still be out there, actually exerting myself!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »

Burglaries are far more common. Every minute on average, 7 burglaries take place. I’m sure mass shootings would be more of an immediate concern to me if they happened every 8 seconds

A whole lot more is being lost in these massacres than in the "far more common" burglaries.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »

And to be sure, in an actual shooting situation, adding to the number of guns being fired is just about the worst idea. You can be a "good guy with a gun," but you're still unloading real bullets that can still hit real people. That's what's so harmful about the hero fantasy: pretending that you could instantaneously become a gunslinging savior, when it's much more likely that you'll just add to the chaos and danger.

Ftr, actually having trained and armed decent people is useful. Having former or current soldiers on the streets saved countless of lives in terror attacks in Israel. That's why, you know, you need training to get a lisence.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »

We should repeal the 2nd Amendment, seize everyone's guns and do what Australia did. Ordinary people do not need guns.

If they refuse to give up their guns and pose a threat to the army/police they should be labeled as traitors to America and charged with treason, and if they fire their weapons, then all means necessary should be used to stop them.

I cannot begin to tell you how offensive these ideas are.

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be. 

Vast numbers of guns in public hands poses a threat to society. Therefore, the government has an obligation to use its powers of eminent domain to purchace guns, by force if necessary, for the betterment of society.

100% guarantee that will not end the way you think it will.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2018, 12:25:00 PM »

Semi-automatic rifles are no more dangerous than semi-automatic hand guns, they are more likely to jam and are less concealable.

For 9 years the deadliest mass shooting in modern history, Virginia Tech, was executed with the use of a 9mm handgun and a .22 handgun. Handguns were also exclusively used in Kileen, Texas (1991) 23 killed; Edmond, Oklahoma (1985) 15 killed; Binghamton, New York (2009) 14 killed; and Fort Hood (2009) 13 killed.

Yes, shootings happen because of other guns too. But please explain to me why would anyone need a semi-automatic rifle? Yes, gun control should focus on other issues too, but semi-automatic rifles should definitely be banned. There's just no single legit reason to keeping them so available.

Hunting.

If you're going to ban rifles you might as well ban handguns too because they're equally efficient at mass killings. Las Vegas is the only incident I can think of where the use of rifles made a difference.

Haha

Anyone who hunts with a semi-automatic weapon is a loser. Seriously, how bad at hunting do you need to be to have a weapon that assists you in any way? If you need one of those to hunt, you shouldn't be allowed to go hunting because you're already probably a tremendous failure at it.

Please tell us what experience you have with hunting, especially for large game that can actually kill you if you aren't careful.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 12:28:08 PM by Santander »

Using bolt-action rifles for hunting is archaic and makes it far more difficult, but sure. My point is semi-automatic rifles do serve a purpose outside of being used to gun people down. I think we need to focus on bump stocks that turn them into machine guns. That also goes for magazine adaptors on 100 round drums that turn handguns into submachine guns.
People use bolt-action rifles for hunting because they are reliable, accurate, and relatively inexpensive. One of the most respected serious big-game hunting rifles in the world is the Ruger No.1 - a falling block, single-shot rifle that offers several advantages to bolt-action and semi-automatic rifles. Nobody uses bolt-action rifles for hunting to make it more difficult (it's not a video game FFS), they use them because they are the right tool for the job.

(of course, a semi-automatic is the right tool for the job in some cases, too, just generally not if you are the predator)
Joey1996

« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »

Using bolt-action rifles for hunting is archaic and makes it far more difficult, but sure. My point is semi-automatic rifles do serve a purpose outside of being used to gun people down. I think we need to focus on bump stocks that turn them into machine guns. That also goes for magazine adaptors on 100 round drums that turn handguns into submachine guns.
People use bolt-action rifles for hunting because they are reliable, accurate, and relatively inexpensive. One of the most respected serious big-game hunting rifles in the world is the Ruger No.1 - a falling block, single-shot rifle that offers several advantages to bolt-action and semi-automatic rifles. Nobody uses bolt-action rifles for hunting to make it more difficult (it's not a video game FFS), they use them because they are the right tool for the job.

(of course, a semi-automatic is the right tool for the job in some cases, too, just generally not if you are the predator)

Ok
Joey1996

« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

Ok

Maybe you're right and semi-automatic weapons are useful for hunting after all. Smiley

Sorry to take so long to reply to your post, I was out for a jog with my rocket-propelled sneakers. Thankfully those sneakers made me six times faster than usual, or I would still be out there, actually exerting myself!

Oh alright
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

Ok

Kids these days with their fancy technology, right? I for one never use these fancy 'bicycles' or 'cars' to get places. As for hunting, I don't know why anyone should need anything more than a crudely sharpened stick - if you're not chasing game dozens of kilometers across the savanna to tire it out before the kill, you shouldn't be hunting at all!
Joey1996

« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »

If the assualt weapons ban extended until 2007, 32 VTech students and faculty would still be dead. How about we focus on gun regulations that will actually stop mass gun violence instead? Restricting the movement of guns across state lines would actually help enforce gun laws in urban areas like Chicago and Baltimore.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »

If the assualt weapons ban extended until 2007, 32 VTech students and faculty would still be dead. How about we focus on gun regulations that will actually stop mass gun violence instead? Restricting the movement of guns across state lines would actually help enforce gun laws in urban areas like Chicago and Baltimore.

Not to mention 'assault weapon' in general is a useless term
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2018, 12:42:45 PM »

Just on CNN. Looks like the fbi really ed this up.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

Please tell us what experience you have with hunting, especially for large game that can actually kill you if you aren't careful.

Joey1996

« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 01:13:51 PM by Joey1996 »

Yup, they were alerted about this guy months ago
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/parkland-shooting-fbi-tipster/index.html?sr=twCNN021618parkland-shooting-fbi-tipster1238PMStory
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »

Not to mention 'assault weapon' in general is a useless term
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Criteria_of_an_assault_weapon
Is this a good definition?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

Ok

Kids these days with their fancy technology, right? I for one never use these fancy 'bicycles' or 'cars' to get places. As for hunting, I don't know why anyone should need anything more than a crudely sharpened stick - if you're not chasing game dozens of kilometers across the savanna to tire it out before the kill, you shouldn't be hunting at all!

You meant "painstakingly crafted stick" right?

https://worldatlatl.org/
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

This is a sentiment I've heard from pretty much every recreational and/or subsistence hunter who I have ever engaged with on the subject. As for me, I have zero interest in ever hunting so I actually have no dog in this fight (and am agnostic on certain types of gun control). I'm just here to rustle your jimmies. If you guys want to go hunting with an semi, be my guest, just know there are whole communities of sportsmen who think you're a weenie.

My man. Glad we're on the same page here 👌
Joey1996

« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »

Wasn't a tec9 used in Columbine, 1999?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2018, 01:16:39 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

This is a sentiment I've heard from pretty much every recreational and/or subsistence hunter who I have ever engaged with on the subject. As for me, I have zero interest in ever hunting so I actually have no dog in this fight (and am agnostic on certain types of gun control). I'm just here to rustle your jimmies. If you guys want to go hunting with an semi, be my guest, just know there are whole communities of sportsmen who think you're a weenie.

Funny that you seem to be speaking about entire communities that you are not a part of, and only know a small handful of folks who are a part of them.

Uneducated, delusional lefties who know nothing about guns and hunting really have no business speaking about it. Take your Clozapine and move on.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »

"It's improper to politicize this tragedy, just wait until all settles a bit..." (another shooting occurs) "It's improper to politicize this tragedy, just wait until all settles a bit..."
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2018, 01:28:29 PM »

Hunting.

Haha

Funny that you seem to be speaking about entire communities that you are not a part of, and only know a small handful of folks who are a part of them.

Uneducated, delusional lefties who know nothing about guns and hunting really have no business speaking about it. Take your Clozapine and move on.

brb, I'mma go trawling through your post history and dig up all the times you shared some dumb opinion on something despite not being an expert in that field

also, is that a joke implying that I'm a schizophrenic? Awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies