COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:16:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 541851 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 23, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »

The problem with keeping large schools (including universities) open is that it's basically impossible to main a stable learning environment with a rampant virus. How are you supposed to maintain a classroom when students (or, god forbid, instructors) are dropping out for 1-2 weeks and physically incapable of coming to class? How can you assign grades when over half of your class has been bedridden at some point during the semester? How do you maintain a safe in person learning environment that doesn't force people who otherwise don't want to be exposed to the virus to endure something that's threatening to their safety? Students aren't the only stakeholders in the school - there are also instructors, maintenance staff, support staff, administration, and parents; these people are all at higher risk than students.

The virus alters behaviors in a way that reshapes the classroom and warps it into something suboptimal. Universities in particular know this and have invited students back to small insulated college towns with bare-bones plans for mitigation or containing spread beyond the campus (CU Boulder isn't even testing students not on campus for god's sakes), just to bring in extra tuition money. Universities in this country are pulling a bait and switch on students (and parents) and leading them into a situation where they know in six weeks the situation will not be maintainable and learning goals can not be met. It's shameful. No universities should be asking for anywhere near full tuition for what they know will be 1/6th of a typical semester's worth of in person instruction.

But, the online education model is also suboptimal and that's beyond question. The current situation for parents of school-aged children is also wildly untenable and will reach a breaking point this Fall. A country with leaders that gave a shit would have spent the last five months doing something, anything, to prevent us from being in this situation in the first place. A country where leaders had brains would have creative solutions (e.g., some sort of alternative programming) that would prevent students and families from being forced into dismal choices. A country where the people running our education system were interested in learning instead of maintaining their own self-enriching and status-protecting structures would have found something better-suited and safer than this.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »

Unless he's quoting a knowledgeable source directly, there is no reason to ever (ever) take Berenson's word on COVID seriously.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »

lmao some washed up has been said something dumb about how COVID affects politics, guess that means the virus was fake the whole time
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »

He will be fine, unlike the millions of Americans who don’t have access to affordable healthcare because of his party.

A lot of your party is also responsible for this.

Instead of focusing on lifting up poor people, every second world is about lifting up people of colour . A lot of you have fully embraced borderline insane identity politics, instead of focusing on the fact that all the problems which arise in all communities, whether that's poor white people in trailer camps or black people in "hoods", is a result lack of access to education and poverty.

Instead of fighting for real women's rights, such as paid maternity leave, you put on your pink hats and scream about male privilege or viciously support unlimited abortion, even though no sane developed country allows random abortions at a late stage because a 7-month fetus is no different from a newborn baby.

This analysis is too online. Every Democrat claims to be fighting for poor (or, more euphemistically, "working") people and families. Those who focus instead on "people of color" are either (1) social media activists or (2) people who represent actual people of color in congress (and even then, most of the time, most of these people are still talking about working families more than they are their race).

Look, I find social media activists incredibly tedious and self-indulgent. I don't enjoy reading a lot of the screed they post. They're a growing (but still likely plurality) share of the rank-and-file Democratic electorate. But I'm not so resentful that I conflate green-haired instagram teenagers with actual Democratic politicians.

You have lost a sh**t ton of white working-class people to Republicans due to certain Democrats demonizing "white cis males", and frankly, unless you root out these people and stop giving them a voice, you do not deserve a single one of these things.

Again, this analysis is way too online. The number of elected Democrats who ever (let alone regularly!) slander "white cis males" can probably be counted on your fingers and toes. You're conflating a type of extremely-online activist with a party that, in most cases, is too old to even understand what it means to be "cis".

There are culture wars grievances that are definitely costing Democrats a ton of working class white votes. These are much more likely to be related to urban/rural identity and college attainment than race, gender, or sexuality. I am sure that basically no working class person decided their vote on critical race theory instead of, say, federal emissions regulations or gas taxes.

When is the last time you had BLM/#Metoo scale protests for 100% healthcare coverage? Well, I'll tell you, never.

I more or less agree with the sentiment here, although there are very obvious differences between police brutality or rampant workplace sexual harassment and paying too much for your deductible.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 12:19:45 AM »

Well...it seems every other sentence I hear from a lot of Democratic politicians mentions race/gender.

This is bullshit hyperbole that degrades our political discourse.

Yes there are discrepancies and we can work to resolve those, but I don’t really think you can deny the virtue signaling coming from some Democratic politicians. Tbh, I actually think Biden is better on this than most.

The actual volume of "virtue signaling" is overall a pretty small percentage of what they actually talk about, magnified by rubes and bad faith actors more interested in axe-grinding than all else. In general, the overwhelming majority of Democratic politicians have campaigned much more on COVID and health care than they have on anything related to racial injustice.

by the way....I bet our archaic healthcare system kills infinitely more people than police brutality.

And yet, I'm 100% certain that you were more angry and more generally had more emotion stirred within you watching a police officer kneel on George Floyd's neck for eight minutes than you have been by any health care story you have ever read in your life. It's not necessarily rational, it's human emotion.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 05:13:30 PM »

Good news.

'We Don't Feel Forgotten At All': Alaska Fires Up COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout
Nat Herz, Alaska Public Media/NPR

Good stories about an unprecedented mobilization of aerial and seaborne transport to reach rural Indigenous communities in Alaska. Alaska has one of the top vaccination rates in the country so far and rural areas have rates as high as Anchorage does.

Sadly this story will get almost no press because half the country doesn't care about anything related to COVID and the other half only cares about news if it's about white supremacy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies