CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:11:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 126776 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« on: April 26, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »

I guess I'm glad the presumptions can end. Although we've known for weeks now so not exactly climactic. The only thing that matters/mattered is when the votes are cast.

1.5 million is a very low threshold. Still, this recall would've never happened if it wasn't for the French Laundry incident happening within the 4 month extension window. I do worry that, unless some reforms are put in place, there'll be a serious GOP-led recall for every Democratic Governor in the near-future. Only a third of Trump 2016 voters are needed.
Hopefully Newsom winning by a convincing margin will discourage future GOP-led recall attempts.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2021, 03:15:21 PM by Storr »

Also, Caitlyn Jenner just released her first campaign video.

Outside of the COVID-related clips (And even some of them look like retreads), it looks like a video any statewide California Republican could've run. And I'm sure it'll break through the electorate with just as much success as previous years.
I'm glad she was able to show off her absurdly large and well furnished closet at the beginning of the ad. Also she unironically used "compassionate disrupter"......what f***ing year is it?? But seriously, all of the harking back to the "California dream" with images from the 60s and 70s, clips from her Olympic win in 1976, and making her campaign "Make California Great Again" in all but name, gives me the feeling she will only appeal to white people over the age of 50. She's obviously trying the "celebrity political disrupter bipartisan hero" schtick that Arnold Schwarzenegger used in 2002.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »

Evidently they're meant to help visual impaired voters find/see where to do sign the ballot. "They also serve as a visual check for elections officials to ensure that a ballot has not been left inside an envelope uncounted." I don't get this explanation because isn't it obvious whether an envelope has been opened or not? Some spokesperson then goes on to say voters can fold their ballots "another way" if they're concerned.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 08:46:22 PM »

Evidently they're meant to help visual impaired voters find/see where to do sign the ballot. (Couldn't you just have large dark arrows pointing to where to sign, why holes?) "They also serve as a visual check for elections officials to ensure that a ballot has not been left inside an envelope uncounted." I don't get this explanation because isn't it obvious whether an envelope has been opened or not? Some spokesperson then goes on to say voters can fold their ballots "another way" if they're concerned.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »

Detroit Lions player endorses Larry Elder

He grew up and went to college in Alabama and has played for 5 different NFL teams, none of which are located in California. I generally think celebrity endorsements aren't very important in politics, so I don't pay much attention to them. But, I find it annoying when celebrities endorse (or showing support for, in this case?) candidates running to hold office in places they have absolutely no connection with.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 06:12:14 PM »

This is a truly incredible level of lack of self awareness.

Also look at how she initially got ratioed and then restricted replies like a coward.

I wonder what's the correct way to say "Latinxs"?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2021, 11:22:40 AM by Storr »

How did Elder become the main Republican in this race? Faulconer is a much more impressive candidate imo.
so was john kasich or whoever, and yet
California Republicans aren't coalescing around a candidate that could actually win because the effort to impeach him was started and organized by mad wing nuts on the internet. Choosing a controversial talk radio host makes as your main opponent to Newsom make sense in that context.

Edit: DrScholl also makes a good point about Elder being well known among Republicans across the state due to being on radio. It makes sense California has a history of electing celebrities since its hard to become well known across such a large and diverse state. Texas is different since >75% of the population lives in the eastern third of the state.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 11:45:03 PM »

No is also leading in Placer County! Yes is leading in Butte though, a 2020 Biden County. All other counties are currently aligned Yes/No with how they voted in 2020 (Trump/Biden), according to CNN.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies