Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:40:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)  (Read 92615 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: December 07, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »

God help us if this moron gets the nomination

Joe Biden is worried the Republican Party might get 'clobbered.'

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'oh my God, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party was totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

Ugh, yet another terrible statement from Biden. Republicans need to be clobbered, only if they keep getting clobbered is there any hope of them returning to some level of sanity.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »

God help us if this moron gets the nomination

Joe Biden is worried the Republican Party might get 'clobbered.'

"It’s not like there’s going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'oh my God, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, ‘I'm a Republican,’ I say, ‘Stay a Republican.’ Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party was totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

Ugh, yet another terrible statement from Biden. Republicans need to be clobbered, only if they keep getting clobbered is there any hope of them returning to some level of sanity.

Imagine in 1932 if FDR said "don't clobber the GOP....the Great  Depression is the result of #BothSides.....we need more Republicans in Congress to moderate the New Deal"

I for one like to live in a non-one party state so.....

Better a one-party state with a sane party than a two-party state where one of the parties is insane.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 04:38:23 AM »

Klein is absolutely right. Even Biden wants to raise taxes by $10,300 per person.

That's not how taxes work lol.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 04:50:22 AM »

Klein is absolutely right. Even Biden wants to raise taxes by $10,300 per person.

That's not how taxes work lol.

Its how economics work. Taxing corporations/muh evil rich people kills investment, and that effect is compounded by taking money out of the economy to pay for bigger gimme programs. Robbing the rich hurts poor people too.

First of all, your random "$10,300 per person" claim is still nonsense, and secondly the economy did great in the 50s and 60s when taxes were much higher on the rich, in fact the economy overall has done worse since Republicans started cutting taxes for the rich in the 1980s.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »

This was the full Hillary quote on coal miners
Instead of dividing people the way Donald Trump does, let’s reunite around politics that will bring jobs and opportunities to all these under-served poor communities. So, for example, I’m the only candidate who has a policy about how to bring economic opportunity using clean renewable energy as the key into coal country. Because we’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business, right, Tim? (addressed to Tim Ryan)

And we’re going to make it clear that we don’t want to forget those people. Those people labored in those mines for generations, losing their health, often losing their lives to turn on our lights and power our factories. Now we’ve got to move away from coal and all the other fossil fuels, but I don’t want to move away from the people who did the best they could to produce energy that we relied on.
It's not insulting at all as the full quote and is a reasonable position, however of course the bolded bit was all that people ended up hearing. Politics isn't fair, voters aren't going to research and appreciate the nuance of Biden's position. What he said sounds bad, and it will be a negative for him going forward.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »

Electability is very hard for politically engaged smart analysts to gauge, I have little faith on ordinary voters being capable of accurately determining who is most electable.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »

This is such a bad faith attack on Biden. Even if he supported Social Security cuts in the past, he isn't going to now. The neoliberal era is over. Also, if Social Security is your issue, Warren has the most progressive plan, that expands benefits by $200 a month. This is a play for older voters and is a completely political attack.

Even if Biden wouldn't cut Social Security in the 2020s, it is another sign that he has poor judgement that he did seriously try to in the past, and shows he wouldn't stand up for progressive priorities as strongly as other contenders (in particular, Bernie).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies