Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 129040 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »

No amount of excuses will change the fact that Bernie Sanders in not a Democrat and should not get the Democratic Party's nomination.

Can you just imagine if the Republicans nominated an right wing independent who didn't consider themselves to be a Republican for President? That would be ridiculous and we would laugh a them.

However, just because Bernie is a "progressive champion" (show me his record though), this is supposedly OK with some Democrats.

Anyways, Bernie might not be able to run in the Democratic primary because the DNC changed the rules last year and said that you have to be an actual Democrat to run in the primary. Imagine that.

You really are a spiteful human being aren't you?

If you take that attitude that he's forbidden from entering a primary, then that's a lot of people that are gonna stay home if Harri, Biden or Booker get nominated.
Joey1996

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »

Maybe we should make it that only registered Democrats can vote for the Democratic candidate during the general election,
I'm sure New Frontier would approve of that.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »

If Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke or Amy Klobuchar win the nomination, will Bernie supporters vote for them in the general election?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »

No amount of excuses will change the fact that Bernie Sanders in not a Democrat and should not get the Democratic Party's nomination.

Can you just imagine if the Republicans nominated an right wing independent who didn't consider themselves to be a Republican for President? That would be ridiculous and we would laugh a them.

However, just because Bernie is a "progressive champion" (show me his record though), this is supposedly OK with some Democrats.

Anyways, Bernie might not be able to run in the Democratic primary because the DNC changed the rules last year and said that you have to be an actual Democrat to run in the primary. Imagine that.

If you take that attitude that he's forbidden from entering a primary, then that's a lot of people that are gonna stay home if Harri, Biden or Booker get nominated.
Spiteful? How?

He's not a Democrat so why should he get the DEMOCRATIC Party's nomination?

Maybe we should make it that only registered Democrats can vote for the Democratic candidate during the general election,
I'm sure New Frontier would approve of that.
That makes no sense. You know the difference between a primary and general election. Also, my disapproval (not hate) of Bernie isn't just because he's not a Democrat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »

If Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke or Amy Klobuchar win the nomination, will Bernie supporters vote for them in the general election?

Not if you keep shouting "You'RE NoT DEmOcrAtS" at them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »

A lot of the fanatical Sanders supporters are going to stay home anyway if he's not the nominee, except this time they can't claim that super delegates stole the nomination from him.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »

That has nothing to do with it. Most Bernie supporters will say that they are "NEOLIBERAL CORPORATE SHILLS!!!" and "Bought and paid by Wall Street" and "NEOCON WARMONGERS!!!!".
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »

A lot of the fanatical Sanders supporters are going to stay home anyway if he's not the nominee, except this time they can't claim that super delegates stole the nomination from him.

Which undercuts the argument if he's allowed to run.

He's actually been sitting in the Democratic caucuses in both houses longer than the Anointed Ones (Harris, Booker and O'Rourke) have. He's been running in the Democratic primaries in Vermont for a long time and he is currently a member of the Democratic Senate leadership.

For all intents and purposes, he is a Democrat.
Joey1996

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2019, 11:14:16 AM by Joey1996 »

Daily reminder that more Clinton '08 supporters voted McCain than Bernie supporters voted Trump.

That makes no sense. You know the difference between a primary and general election. Also, my disapproval (not hate) of Bernie isn't just because he's not a Democrat.

If we're going to be undemocratic in the primaries and stop independents from running and voting why not keep that energy during the general election?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »

He's better than Warren.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »

That has nothing to do with it. Most Bernie supporters will say that they are "NEOLIBERAL CORPORATE SHILLS!!!" and "Bought and paid by Wall Street" and "NEOCON WARMONGERS!!!!".

And still come home for them at a higher rate than Hillary supporters in 2008, despite the criticisms largely being accurate.

The obsession with membership in an organization over much less trivial things like beliefs, policy, record (areas that you could reasonably criticize Sanders on from the right) reveals an infantile brain.

You act like the D next to the name is somehow important when this guy campaigns for Democrats, votes with the party more often than most Democrats, has policies that are more authentically democratic than most Democrats, etc.  

And really none of those "authentic democrat" concerns matter, it's what the policies/record are, and what effect those will have on the country, and being authentically something is not a good unto itself.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »

And still come home for them at a higher rate than Hillary supporters in 2008, despite the criticisms largely being accurate.

The obsession with membership in an organization over much less trivial things like beliefs, policy, record (areas that you could reasonably criticize Sanders on from the right) reveals an infantile brain.

You act like the D next to the name is somehow important when this guy campaigns for Democrats, votes with the party more often than most Democrats, has policies that are more authentically democratic than most Democrats, etc.  And really none of that matters, it's what the policies/record are, and what effect those will have on the country.
Most of this is false.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »

He's actually been sitting in the Democratic caucuses in both houses longer than the Anointed Ones (Harris, Booker and O'Rourke) have. He's been running in the Democratic primaries in Vermont for a long time and he is currently a member of the Democratic Senate leadership.

He says he's not a Democrat, so how can you contradict his own words? He's an independent who aligns with Democrats to get committee assignments and that is it.

Daily reminder that more Clinton '08 supporters voted McCain than Bernie supporters voted Trump.

If we're going to be undemocratic in the primaries and stop independents from running and voting why not keep that energy during the general election?

A lot of states have closed primaries and there really isn't anything undemocratic about parties being selective about who can vote in their primaries. Just imagine if Republicans and conservatives decided to manipulate the open primary system to give a conservative the Democratic nomination. There is an upside to closed primaries.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2019, 11:18:21 AM »

Once again, you know the difference between a primary and a general election. Also, there are no primaries for independent candidates. We live in a FPTP system, that's the only reason why Bernie caucuses with Democrats in the Senate.

Anyways, I don't like Elizabeth Warren as a presidential candidate. I think she's a good Senator but not presidential material. However, if she won the primary, I would vote for her in the primaries because she's...a Democrat.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »

If anyone looks at Trump, Kavanaugh, Charlottesville, Pittsburgh, and our current policies and decides to stay home - they are complicit.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »

Zing! Nice work, you really got him this time!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »

LOL, if you think that's the only thing I have on Bernie...just LOL.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »

Democrats are the only major party in the First World  scared of actually leaning left in economics. Labour under Blair wasn't this bad.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »

The funny thing is that I used to support Bernie. I wasn't eligible to vote in 2016 (I was only 17). However, I remember HATING Hillary especially because of what I read online.

I read that she was "Republican-lite", "evil", "neocon warmonger", "corporate shill", "only running because she's a woman", "think that it's her coronation", "not progressive enough", "just as bad as Trump", etc. I believed all of that and was on Bernie's side.

However, once I saw that Bernie had no chance of winning the primary and also how so many of his supporters were still bashing Hillary even after it was clear that he lost was infuriating and I left #TeamBernie and was 100% on board with HRC.

I recognized that not only was HRC a million times better than Trump but also that I was being used and duped by Russian propaganda.

Joey1996

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »

He says he's not a Democrat, so how can you contradict his own words? He's an independent who aligns with Democrats to get committee assignments and that is it.

A lot of states have closed primaries and there really isn't anything undemocratic about parties being selective about who can vote in their primaries. Just imagine if Republicans and conservatives decided to manipulate the open primary system to give a conservative the Democratic nomination. There is an upside to closed primaries.

That's fine, just dont be surprised if left leaning independents in those states feel jaded that they had no choice in picking who the Democratic nominee was
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »

That's fine, just dont be surprised if left leaning independents in those states feel jaded that they had no choice in picking who the Democratic nominee was
OK, that's been the case since...forever.

Also, what about right wing independents and the GOP?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »

Forget it Bernie, it's time for the  future, not the past.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »

Can Bernie supporters explain these for me? Especially those who don't like Kamala Harris.

Also, why hasn't Bernie released his most of his tax returns? Why did he vote against Russian sanctions (Magnitsky Act)? Why did he hire someone with connections to Paul Manafort? (Tad Devine)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »

I predicted about a year ago that if he runs he’d be the nominee. I’ve become less certain in that prediction but am still interested to see if he does. A usual election season is it not.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2019, 12:26:35 PM »

Can Bernie supporters explain these for me? Especially those who don't like Kamala Harris.

Also, why hasn't Bernie released his most of his tax returns? Why did he vote against Russian sanctions (Magnitsky Act)? Why did he hire someone with connections to Paul Manafort? (Tad Devine)
The FBI should hire you, you are quite the investigator! They could use someone who just oozes intelligence like yourself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies