🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:56:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 115
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 218691 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: August 31, 2021, 02:45:55 PM »

DOMINATING

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1126 on: August 31, 2021, 03:48:50 PM »

Latin America, Europe, the US…the political right is in shambles Wink.

Australia, India, Israel, Canada, Poland, France, Britain, the Netherlands, Italy, Ecuador, Colombia, most of Eastern Europe? And even the US isn't really a valid example, with Biden double digits underwater. It's rather strange to try and paint some global picture when Germany, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Spain?, and New Zealand are the only examples of such a trend, and a good number of those countries are the result of left wing parties (ie the Greens) moving right.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1127 on: August 31, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »

Another day, another two great polls. SPD massive surge now confirmed by multiple pollsters. Just a reminder: Laschet is 2-3% away from third place. Lmao.

Ugh, I hate how the Coalition is in blue and AfD is in black on these charts.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #1128 on: August 31, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »

Australia, India, Israel, Canada, Poland, France, Britain, the Netherlands, Italy, Ecuador, Colombia, most of Eastern Europe? And even the US isn't really a valid example, with Biden double digits underwater. It's rather strange to try and paint some global picture when Germany, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Spain?, and New Zealand are the only examples of such a trend, and a good number of those countries are the result of left wing parties (ie the Greens) moving right.

??
I have absolutely no idea what criteria are you using, for both sides. But in any case, I think you are treating that comment way too seriously.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1129 on: August 31, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »

Shocked Shocked
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1130 on: August 31, 2021, 05:14:54 PM »

Happy days are here again! Thank you Joe Biden!
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #1131 on: August 31, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »

Shocked Shocked
Wahlkreisprognose is still a highly questionable pollster with an intransparent methodology. Their results are really lopsided compared to other polls, although the Scholzmentum is visible throughout the polling landscape.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1132 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:29 PM »

Wahlkreisprognose is still a highly questionable pollster with an intransparent methodology. Their results are really lopsided compared to other polls, although the Scholzmentum is visible throughout the polling landscape.

I had a hunch about what you said about Wahlkreisprognose, but I was afraid I was confusing with Forschungsgruppe Wahle.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1133 on: August 31, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »

SPD is kinda looking like Liberals ala 2015 when seeing the polling trends
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1134 on: August 31, 2021, 08:58:10 PM »

Is there any significant (>5%) chance that Laschet somehow resigns leaving it to Söder?

Söder seems mostly taking votes from "none of these" 20%, but even 7% from Scholz.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1135 on: September 01, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »

That would be even more personally humiliating than presiding over an electoral fiasco. Amongst other issues.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1136 on: September 01, 2021, 10:38:29 AM »

??
I have absolutely no idea what criteria are you using, for both sides. But in any case, I think you are treating that comment way too seriously.

Australia -- Liberals won in 2019 unexpectedly. Not in disarray.

Canada -- Conservatives leading in polls

Colombia -- Conservative government/dominance for last 30 years

And Argentina and Spain I said were places where the right was in disarray, not places where it wasn't.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1137 on: September 01, 2021, 10:53:57 AM »

Can we not argue about stuff like that in this thread please? It’s just a pissing contest
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #1138 on: September 01, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »

And now we have an Infratest poll out of Brandenburg (changes from last election):

SPD 29 (+11)
AfD 18 (-2)
CDU 15 (-12)
SED 11 (-6)
FDP 9 (+2)
Green 9 (+4)
Others 9 (+3)

LOL
Jackson Lee
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1139 on: September 01, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »

Take a 👀 at this new poll, from Brandenburg (Berlin suburbs):

Wow.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/laender.htm#bb
Jackson Lee
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1140 on: September 01, 2021, 12:16:06 PM »

Question for Germans:

Is Scholz more popular in the East than West?

So far, I have only seen polls from Eastern states which had double digit gains for the SPD - but only single digit increases in the West.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #1141 on: September 01, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »

The big Linke drop possibly implies some of their usual SED pensioner vote is flirting with Scholz. Not surprised, tbh.

Question for Germans:

So far, I have only seen polls from Eastern states which had double digit gains for the SPD - but only single digit increases in the West.
Not German, but I believe Merkel had something of a personal vote.
Jackson Lee
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1142 on: September 01, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »

The big Linke drop possibly implies some of their usual SED pensioner vote is flirting with Scholz. Not surprised, tbh.

Question for Germans:

Incredible how the Linke is still so strong in the East after 30 years.

But their voters are getting older and die. Expect the party to die too.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1143 on: September 01, 2021, 12:38:46 PM »

Question for Germans:

I wonder if it might be partly that since Merkel was herself from the East (Mecklenberg-Vorpommern) she had some residual "favourite daughter" appeal in the former DDR and that now that she is gone and repalced by Laschet - a lot of the CDU votes that were just personal votes for Merkel in the east are suddenly up for grabs.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #1144 on: September 01, 2021, 12:41:59 PM »

Question for Germans:

An additional factor could be that due to the East's history, there has never been a strong affiliation towards any party (maybe apart from the SED/PDS/Linke voters), making the whole region more "swingy" or "elastic".

Merkel's background of course has bound some voters to the CDU on federal level during her time as party leader/Chancellor, but as we can see when comparing federal election result to state elections, there are lots of voters who are open to vote for another party (e.g. the Linke state/CDU federal vote in Thuringia). Although party loyalty is decreasing in the West too, the East seems to have a big chunk of swing voters.

Regarding the Brandenburg poll: It might be a minor factor, but as Scholz is running as top candidate in Brandenburg, that might give him a small home state bonus, although it is probably negligible. But home state factors don't matter here as much as in the US anyways (apart from Bavaria and Saarland maybe), in fact, there are many "carpetbagging" politicians (Johanna Wanka in Brandenburg & Lower Saxony, Scholz' wife Britta Ernst in Schleswig-Holstein & Brandenburg, Wolfgang Tiefensee in Saxony & Thuringia, Peer Steinbrück in Schleswig-Holstein & NRW etc.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1145 on: September 01, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »

I wonder if it might be partly that since Merkel was herself from the East (Mecklenberg-Vorpommern) she had some residual "favourite daughter" appeal in the former DDR and that now that she is gone and repalced by Laschet - a lot of the CDU votes that were just personal votes for Merkel in the east are suddenly up for grabs.

She grew up in northern Brandenburg, but her political base for the past three decades has been in Pomerania, yes. There's not much doubt that she is much more appealing to many voters in the East than a typical CDU establishment politician, who are quite culturally alien to most Easterners.* Her particular sort of conservatism - which does not extend much further than her own take on what we might as well call Prussianism (i.e. the belief that it is the principle duty of both the politician and the citizen to serve the state) - is also much more appealing there. It didn't really show much in the first election she led the CDU into, but then that election ended up being rather more about the then incumbent, whose own appeal to those same voters was famously strong.

*It isn't just the Catholicism, though that's an issue. It's also that general air of, to make a literary allusion, heavy good-fellowship.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1146 on: September 01, 2021, 03:19:42 PM »

Regarding the Brandenburg poll: It might be a minor factor, but as Scholz is running as top candidate in Brandenburg, that might give him a small home state bonus, although it is probably negligible.

I thought Scholz was from the west and was once mayor of Hamburg? He may be on a list in Brandenburg for purely symbolic reasons but he is not an "Ossie" in the way Merkel is/was
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1147 on: September 01, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

Regarding the Brandenburg poll: It might be a minor factor, but as Scholz is running as top candidate in Brandenburg, that might give him a small home state bonus, although it is probably negligible.

I thought Scholz was from the west and was once mayor of Hamburg? He may be on a list in Brandenburg for purely symbolic reasons but he is not an "Ossie" in the way Merkel is/was

He moved to Postdam after becoming Finance Minister. His wife Britta Ernst was already serving as Brandenburg's Education Minister at the time.
urutzizu
« Reply #1148 on: September 02, 2021, 06:20:28 AM »

Wahl-o-mat:
https://www.wahl-o-mat.de/bundestagswahl2021/app/main_app.html

I tried it also with Google translate, which works fine.

Just for clarification in Question 13 BAföG means Student grants/loans for Students who need financial assistance (which currently about 1/4 of all Students get). Question 32 deals with the recognition of Islamic Associations (such as the Ahmadiyya or DITIB) as religious organizations under public law, as Churches are currently. There is no direct equivalent to this in the US, but this would among other things give them the right to levy church tax etc. Question 33 asks whether you think that Emissions pricing should rise more steeply than planned (translate didn't like this one by me).

My Result:
SPD 66%
CDU:56%
Greens:55%
Linke:54%
FDP:48%
AFD:45%
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33