Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:42:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 85997 times)
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: July 05, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »

This man is a clown:

"We need to have a conversation" is just about the lowest of all political platitudes. You're a politician-- you already have a soap box to stand on, and people are listening. This campaign is the conversation; we're already having it.

Gotta love Beto and Kamala's favorite go-to answer.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1176 on: July 07, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »

Beto is telegenic and is a good fundraiser, but that's not enough to be a contender for the presidential nomination.  He'd be a good replacement for Tom Perez as DNC chair after 2020 (while prepping for a 2024 rematch with Cruz), but probably the most he can hope for.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1177 on: July 07, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »

Beto is telegenic and is a good fundraiser, but that's not enough to be a contender for the presidential nomination.  He'd be a good replacement for Tom Perez as DNC chair after 2020 (while prepping for a 2024 rematch with Cruz), but probably the most he can hope for.
Biden with his ancient, dry, and uninspiring campaign sucked all the air out of the room. Beto should run for Senate in 2024. Cruz will still be an unpopular rodent, Presidential turnout will be a factor, and TX will be a couple more cycles in their transition to becoming blue.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1178 on: July 07, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »

His stances on the wall not adding more barriers, impeachment and SSM are further to left of moderate Dems, I think that is playing a major role, too in Beto's low polls
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1179 on: July 13, 2019, 08:17:01 AM »

We need to stop pretending Beto is still among leading candidates.

Booker is doing far better and is more deserving of a pinned thread than Beto.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1180 on: July 13, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »

Is it safe to say that his presidential campaign has ruined his chances of jumping into TX-SEN should he (inevitably) end his campaign?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1181 on: July 13, 2019, 11:41:50 AM »

Is it safe to say that his presidential campaign has ruined his chances of jumping into TX-SEN should he (inevitably) end his campaign?

Yes, it would look quite foolish. Just like another office seeker who ever runs for the job avaible at the moment.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1182 on: July 13, 2019, 11:45:28 AM »

This man is a clown:

"I won't take a stand because this issue might be controversial, but let's have a conversation about it"
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1183 on: July 13, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »

No fundraising totals yet? When is the deadline for it to be publicly released? 👀
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1184 on: July 13, 2019, 02:26:31 PM »

Against Cornyn? Yes.

In 2024 for a rematch against Cruz when the collective memory has likely forgotten this run? Unlikely

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1185 on: July 13, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »

In 2024 for a rematch against Cruz when the collective memory has likely forgotten this run? Unlikely
This is when he needs to run. He needs to dedicate the next few years advocating for an issue (think Abrams and voter suppression) and then jump in then. TX will be another cycle closer to becoming purple/blue, Cruz will still be a miserable cretin, and he will have Pres-level turnout on his side. He'll be fine.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1186 on: July 13, 2019, 03:18:39 PM »

I've got my "I told you so" signature primed and ready for when this doofus drops out.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1187 on: July 13, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »

It's still early - he might be able to make it work. But even if he does, all his presidential campaign has done is dig himself a hole.

Maybe that's why he's staying in? He's hoping for one favorable debate showing, or run of coverage, so he can endorse some or all of his rivals and bow out with a little dignity and credibility left?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1188 on: July 14, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »

It's still early - he might be able to make it work. But even if he does, all his presidential campaign has done is dig himself a hole.

Maybe that's why he's staying in? He's hoping for one favorable debate showing, or run of coverage, so he can endorse some or all of his rivals and bow out with a little dignity and credibility left?

I still think that O'Rourke is positioning himself well to replace Tom Perez as DNC Chair after the election.  He's proven he can raise funds effectively, and running a national campaign gives him a chance to build relationships with prominent Democrats nationally.  If he can ingratiate himself with the eventual nominee, he can land the DNC gig and use it as a launch pad for his rematch with Cruz in 2024.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1189 on: July 14, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »

Democrats already have MJ Hegar running in the Texas Democratic primary. I see absolutely no reason to prefer Beto to her as a candidate. In retrospect, we might see it as a blessing that he passed on running against Cornyn to take on this debacle of a presidential campaign.

I still think that O'Rourke is positioning himself well to replace Tom Perez as DNC Chair after the election.  He's proven he can raise funds effectively, and running a national campaign gives him a chance to build relationships with prominent Democrats nationally.

Oh my goodness, please, no, we cannot allow this to happen.

Besides, if any of these candidates deserves a chance to run the DNC, it's clearly Buttigieg. He's already made one attempt at it, quixotic as it seemed at the time, and it seems like a better fit for him than a likely doomed run for statewide office in Indiana or a Cabinet stint, with potential for much more national visibility than either besides.

Indiana is still an industrial manufacturing state, and the Commerce department is primarily in charge of industrial manufacturing.  Buttigieg should be Commerce secretary for a few years, build up a good resume, then run for the open governorship in 2024.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1190 on: July 14, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »

Indiana is still an industrial manufacturing state, and the Commerce department is primarily in charge of industrial manufacturing.  Buttigieg should be Commerce secretary for a few years, build up a good resume, then run for the open governorship in 2024.

The last person to build a political career on Commerce was, who, Herbert Hoover?

I'm not a fan of appointing big names out of electoral politics to the Cabinet, either. This is your politics on Doris Kearns Goodwin, I guess.

Buttigieg ran for Indiana State Treasurer in 2010, so presumably he was and is both willing and able to head a department responsible for managing finances and commerce. 
Also, I'm no fan of DKG, for what it's worth.

Anyway, my broader point is that Buttigieg is probably capable of something more than DNC Chair.  Leave that for a likeable lightweight like Beto. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1191 on: July 14, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »

The last person to build a political career on Commerce was, who, Herbert Hoover?

I'm not a fan of appointing big names out of electoral politics to the Cabinet, either. This is your politics on Doris Kearns Goodwin, I guess.

Buttigieg ran for Indiana State Treasurer in 2010, so presumably he was and is both willing and able to head a department responsible for managing finances and commerce. 

Anyway, my broader point is that Buttigieg is probably capable of something more than DNC Chair.  Leave that for a likeable lightweight like Beto. 

DNC Chair is no joke,...or it shouldn't be. Perhaps your attitude is why someone as inept as DWS held on for so long, or why Howard Dean is the only one that wasn't bad.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1192 on: July 14, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »

DNC Chair is no joke,...or it shouldn't be. Perhaps your attitude is why someone as inept as DWS held on for so long, or why Howard Dean is the only one that wasn't bad.

Okay, I was a little too flippant with that last comment.  I actually do recognize that DNC Chair is an important post, and I also think O'Rourke has the skill set to do the job well.  And frankly, it's one of the only jobs of any real prominence he seems qualified for.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1193 on: July 14, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »

Debbie Wasserman Schultz was the worst DNC chair; Dems wont put another lightning rod as the Chair. The avocado thing hurt his imaging.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #1194 on: July 14, 2019, 08:17:03 PM »

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1195 on: July 14, 2019, 09:40:16 PM »

We really need a anti-PC Democrat who has the guts to say 'Who cares/So what' to stuff like this. It's so absurd he has to answer for stuff like this when he has no control over it.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1196 on: July 14, 2019, 10:00:32 PM »

We really need a anti-PC Democrat who has the guts to say 'Who cares/So what' to stuff like this. It's so absurd he has to answer for stuff like this when he has no control over it.
Literally no one asked him to address this. He’s virtue signaling. Black people outside of the intelligentsia cohort on Twitter do not care...
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1197 on: July 14, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »

This is the nail in the coffin of his joke of a campaign - not even for the negativity of it, but for how stupid and obvious of a virtue signaling move it is.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1198 on: July 14, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »

Dear lords, what a dumpster fire.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1199 on: July 14, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »

Legitimately shocked to hear that Beto O'Rourke, the man who announces tax policies through his dog's Twitter account, is not tremendously succeeding in this campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies