Toronto Mayoral By Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:01:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Toronto Mayoral By Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]
Author Topic: Toronto Mayoral By Election  (Read 15561 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: July 07, 2023, 03:13:06 PM »

I just went to Toronto for the first time today. I’m surprised there were no major Indian candidates. I thought toronto was diverse but it basically might as well be New Delhi. Based on seeing people on the street you would think the city was 75% Indian, 10% East Asian, 10% black and a few homeless white people. I mean no disrespect at all I was just very shocked by the demographics of this city.

We walked around Yonge Street in the downtown area.
Sorry to bump but what? I went to Toronto last year and it was nothing like you described.

It's a diverse city, of course, but 75% Indian? No way, lol. I spent a lot of time in the downtown Toronto area and I saw tons of White people. Asians were the second most common (East/Southeast Asian and South Asian). Then, some Black people. Then, other groups of people. One thing that I did notice is that Toronto (and Canada as a whole) barely had any Latinos (especially compared to NYC).
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2023, 09:41:41 PM »

I just went to Toronto for the first time today. I’m surprised there were no major Indian candidates. I thought toronto was diverse but it basically might as well be New Delhi. Based on seeing people on the street you would think the city was 75% Indian, 10% East Asian, 10% black and a few homeless white people. I mean no disrespect at all I was just very shocked by the demographics of this city.

We walked around Yonge Street in the downtown area.
Sorry to bump but what? I went to Toronto last year and it was nothing like you described.

It's a diverse city, of course, but 75% Indian? No way, lol. I spent a lot of time in the downtown Toronto area and I saw tons of White people. Asians were the second most common (East/Southeast Asian and South Asian). Then, some Black people. Then, other groups of people. One thing that I did notice is that Toronto (and Canada as a whole) barely had any Latinos (especially compared to NYC).

Yeah the only place where that would be true is like some parts of Brampton. Toronto itself is 13% South Asian. Within Toronto proper, I can imagine parts of Scarborough where you'd think 75% of the people are South Asian, but definitely not downtown.

Actually, downtown Toronto is one of the whiter parts of Toronto proper:

toaster
Canada

« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2023, 07:43:06 AM »

Maybe the original poster was in very tourist areas? For some reason these hyper touristy spots seem to draw big South Asian crowds.  I've seen (both online and in person) huge crowds of South Asians at Yonge/Dundas in Toronto (Dancing, celebrating, just having a good time), similar to what we see in Niagara Falls - seems to be places that other ethnic groups have kind of deserted/stopped visiting as much.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies