Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 344028 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« on: December 14, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »

Democrats are favored either way but in good and bad news for Democrats Amanda Chase will be seeking the Republican nomination for Governor instead of running as an independent.

Can she beat Kirk Cox?
Tt's possible.  Ken Cuccinelli and E.W. Jackson were both nominated through conventions so I think it could very well happen that she is nominated but then again with things like her being kicked out of a county party maybe she won't.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »

Yeah I have to agree.  To say a former Governor touting his experience is a racist dogwhistle is just ridiculous.  I'm undecided but labelling this racist turns me off from Carroll Foy.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »

Pete Snyder: businessman, active in GOP politics, founded the "Virginia 30 day fund" for loans to small businesses, outspoken on opening back up schools.   Seems he could have a good chance for the nomination if he jumps in.
He was the odds-on favorite for Lt. Governor in 2013, but then the convention delegates heard EW Jackson give a speech about Lighting a Flame for Liberty or some such, and flocked to him instead. He had these little plastic torches or candles.

I voted against him in all 4 rounds because I knew he'd be general election poison, but the nature of these things is that they only attract die-hards and crazy people. Because nobody else wants to spend an entire Saturday in some arena while they try to count votes.

So I'd say Amanda Chase's odds are pretty good with that crowd.

Chase was convinced she couldn't win if it went to convention.  Plus her threat to run third-party I think will not sit well with people either.

yea, can someone explain this to me? It seems to me that a convention plays to her advantage so why would she have thought it was an attempt to torpedo her campaign?

I got the impression there are a lot of influential people in the party she just does not get along with at all, but I don't know the details.
This is my understanding.  It's not necessarily her views that will hurt her, it's the fact that she's pissed off enough party members with influence.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 09:05:11 AM »

Pete Snyder set to join the race today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/businessman-pete-snyder-joins-race-for-virginia-governor/2021/01/25/91f4dabc-5036-11eb-b96e-0e54447b23a1_story.html
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »

I admit I don't understand Snyder or Youngkin.  I get Kirk Cox (generic republican), de la Pena (conservative but was military), and Chase but what are Snyder and Youngkin's lanes?  Are they just trying to portray themselves as business conservatives or is there something more?
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »

I think this will be close.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

I think there's some truth to the idea that Nova is less isolationist than the rest of the country but Afghanistan is a very different situation and I do not think many people here care much about the withdrawal.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 01:48:56 PM »

I'm still kind of surprised Ayala was nominated.  It feels like she's invisible at the moment.  Of course, so is Herring but he's the incumbent.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:06:16 AM »

Current T Mac ads: nurses, doctors, masks, women talking about abortion rights.

Current Youngkin ads: him fumbling through a grocery store + non stop ads featuring a bunch of really old white male cops.

Pretty obvious to everyone but MT Treasurer and THG who is running the better campaign here.

I only see youngkin signs in Fairfax but I think it may be because he is winning the extreme wealthy and Democrats are more likely to live in condos, townhouses or apartments thag forbid signs?

Not sure how that is possible.  He does have a lot of signs, he had them in the GOP "primary" as well.  But I see more TMac signs.  Are you only driving through exclusive parts of Great Falls or something?
I think I see more Youngkin signs between Alexandria and Fort Hunt.  Now that may be confirmation bias at work, but I'll try to take a count today.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »

I saw it and I'm not sure if it is actually anti-Semitic (I had no idea she is Jewish and her names are not stereotypically Jewish in my mind) but it was bad regardless. 

Also the whole "apology' was even worse.  I have more respect for someone that makes a bad insult and then defends it than someone that says it was wrong and then tries to deflect blame.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:48:34 AM »

Do you think Mac would be doing better if he went by Terence? 
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 12:45:30 PM »

McAuliffe/Ayala/Herring signs popping up everywhere in Fort Hunt.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »

This thread reminds me I really need to go vote.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »

It’s getting worse in loudon. This isn’t daily wire anymore reporting it

It’s actual local news

I honestly hope the school board members sleep in absolute terror tonight and even urinate in their beds thinking about how bad it is going to get for them in the coming days

This is an awful story and everyone that is involved should probably lose their job, but I don't understand how this is a state-wide issue.

The school board is non-partisan (and I have no idea what their beliefs are), the Sheriff is a Republican, and I have no idea what the principal is.  Maybe I'm missing something but is there any reason why this relates to the gubernatorial election?
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »

Wow, a Democratic staffer has made his Twitter private after Twitter sleuths noticed he bears a striking resemblance to one of the tiki torch guys

Alternatively, Trump supporters were sending him death threats so he went on private.
Yes, I agree.  He's been accused of something and is probably getting a lot of heat.  It's pretty reasonable that he'd go private whether or not he did it.

Now he may or may not be the guy in the picture but him going private is not proof of anything because he has reason to do it whether or not he is guilty.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 08:55:20 PM »

Interesting anecdote from poll worker training: a prospective worker raised some objections to the option of not showing ID and instead swearing that you are who you say you are.  This person was pretty quickly shut down by the Republican member of the local board of elections who told her point-blank that the system is secure and there is no fraud.

It was an interesting little experience.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »

Clinton-Biden-Youngkin voters will exist. The question is to what extent do they exist? Are they just a small group or a sizable minority? If Youngkin can capture even 5-10% of Clinton-Biden voters, that's probably a good sign for him.
I think it's a fairly sizable group.  Government or government-adjacent workers that didn't like Trump's bombast and saw him as a potential threat to their jobs.  Perhaps many of them even voted for Trump in 2016 but switched to Biden in 2020.  Now, seeing what's happened under Biden they are looking for a moderate, business-friendly Republican.  Youngkin is no Bill Weld, but he comes off as a fairly reasonable person.  I don't think this is 15% of the population, but I could see it being enough to flip the election.  But who knows, I might be way off.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »

Lol, this is the official Council of DC Twitter:

They're talking mad sh**t for a group that doesn't even have full control over their entire city.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 02:06:40 PM »

Bruh....

This is indeed what the youths of today call a " brother moment ".
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 03:48:47 PM »

Here’s a fact

If winsome Sears was a democrat, her candidacy would have been part of media discourse for months

A Jamaican immigrant who arrived on our shores basically destitute

You will never, ever convince me otherwise that the media only treats candidacies of minorities as historic when they are liberal

This is unfortunately true.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »

Imagine voting on June 20, 2023

This post made by Alexandria gang
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »

Anyone else get the Youtube ad with the creepy whispering saying that if you have any problems at the polling station to call some number? The whispering was bizarre.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies