Ireland bans handguns (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:38:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland bans handguns (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ireland bans handguns  (Read 5288 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:44:58 AM »

Just a few points.

1. Those who felt we had liberal gun control regulations before the passage of this Act obviously never paid any attantion to the Firearms Acts 1924, 1964, 1968, 1971, 1990 and 2006. This isn't in fact a very significant change to Irish gun control legislation.

2. Because it wasn't a major change, it isn't a significant story here - indeed it's generated more reaction on this thread than in the country as a whole. The only people who cared are those target shooting guys, who, I understand, have been mollified.

3. Technical quibble - the newspiece is incorrect. Dermot Ahern has no more authority to sign a bill into law than I have, only the President can sign bills into law. Ahern is entiteld to make certain regulations under the Act, which I understand he has not done yet.

4. As Gully says, just about nobody in the general populace has a gun anyway. I have no doubt that the people would hugely support gun control measures such as these anyway. Indeed, a more contentious debate would be whether ordinary police should be allowed to carry guns - something that would no doubt be seen as ridiculous in the US.

Self-defense, I assume, is the implied right associated with hand-guns.

ftr, I'm not aware of any instances here where anyone has defended their actions by claiming they shot their handgun at someone else in self-defence.

6. BRTD and Mechman can now resume their mutual masturbation...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:20:22 AM »

Self-defense, I assume, is the implied right associated with hand-guns.

ftr, I'm not aware of any instances here where anyone has defended their actions by claiming they shot their handgun at someone else in self-defence.

Well, you're not aware of anyone owning a handgun, so it's understandable that you're also not aware of people using it for defense Smiley  Yeah, y'all are depicting them as so rare and niche that it's unlikely such a story would be common. 

True. But I'd note that there are guns out there - gangland crime is a hot topic here now. It's the associoated gun crime that's at least partly what motivated this and other legislation (which has been much more questionable, IMO) recently. Such handguns would all have been illegally held anyway, so this law makes no real difference there.

But...in talking about the "right to own a hand-gun" -- I'm pretty sure that the basis is not hunting, the strawman I was responding to of someone believing in handguns for rabbit hunting or what have you.

Fair enough.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2009, 09:19:59 AM by Jas »

Yeah criminals obey bans.  Roll Eyes

Now only criminals wil have guns since they've been banned for LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.

Jackasses.

It was pretty much the case that only criminals had them anyway.
(Noting the previously mentioned farmers/target shooters/huntsmen exceptions who mostly have some form of rifle/shotgun - none of which are really held for defensive purposes.) And indeed, most police don't have guns either, they're pretty much the preserve of special response units.

The new law means that illegal possession will be more easily prosecuted and will have stronger penalties imposed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies