For BRTD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:46:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  For BRTD
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For BRTD  (Read 1539 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »

Teen Strippers, Old Enough to Be Indoor Hookers but Too Young to Drive
Rhode Island's Quirky Laws Have No Rules for Minors in Sex Business
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
July 23, 2009 
53 comments Font Size   PrintRSSE-mailShare this story with friendsFacebookRedditTwitterStumbleUponMore
Elizabeth Roberts' 17-year-old daughter was put through the bureaucratic wringer to get a summer job in her home state of Rhode Island this year.

In Rhode Island, a loophole in the law allows girls as young as 16 to find work as strippers. The state also allows "indoor" prostitution.
(Sara Press/Getty Images/Getty Images)Under state law, the teenager could not operate a power saw, work on ladders or even pump gas. The state also regulates how many hours and times of day minors can work.

But in Rhode Island, where Roberts is lieutenant governor, the teen -- with a work permit -- can take off all her clothes at a strip club, even those where adult men can touch the merchandise.

Just this week the Providence Journal revealed that a loophole in the state's minor laws do not restrict girls as young as 16 from working as strippers, as long as they are home by 11:30 p.m.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:06:51 PM »

BRTD, or opebo?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »

Good point!

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

Time to move to Rhode Island!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 02:52:06 AM »

This was posted and discussed already on the off-topic board.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 04:28:41 AM »

Probably won't last long.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:28:10 AM »

Tragically, nothing good ever does, Lewis.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »

Why the heck would a minor not be allowed to pump gas?  Heck, I pumped gas in our family car when I was like 10 - back when it used to be fun.  Now I'd rather stay in the car than get out and do it (especially when it's freezing cold).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49:52 AM »

The states of New Jersey and Oregon laugh at this thread.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 01:03:37 AM »

Why the heck would a minor not be allowed to pump gas?  Heck, I pumped gas in our family car when I was like 10 - back when it used to be fun.  Now I'd rather stay in the car than get out and do it (especially when it's freezing cold).

Er, don't you listen to the global warming proponents?  They will tell you that "freezing cold" is something from the past, and if you believe you are experiencing it, then you're some kind of nut.

Oh, and last time I checked, even adults (unless employees of the service station) could not pump gas into their own cars in Oregon (don't know about New Jersey).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:10:13 AM »

Er, don't you listen to the global warming proponents?  They will tell you that "freezing cold" is something from the past, and if you believe you are experiencing it, then you're some kind of nut.

Oh, and last time I checked, even adults (unless employees of the service station) could not pump gas into their own cars in Oregon (don't know about New Jersey).

Obviously saying that the annual mean global temperature is increasing implies that it is never below 32 degrees at any point and time on the planet any more.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »

Is this thread implying that the skills for driving emerge before the skills for sucking a cock? I'd argue otherwise.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:17:50 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2009, 02:49:51 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Is this thread implying that the skills for driving emerge before the skills for sucking a cock? I'd argue otherwise.

Now Jake, its Rhode Island, and thinking is an ability not widely found in that state.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 01:38:47 AM »

Now Jake, its Rhode Island, and thinking is an ability not widely founnd in that state.

Yes yes! I'd argue that it is very necessary for every 14 year old girl to know how to effectively fellate penis if the situation should arise. You never know when a sex deprived male may require oral services, especially down below.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »

Discrepancies between minimum age requirements like this pop up all over the place.  Look at the alcohol laws, for example.  A person may legally vote, have consensual sex, and fight for his or her country, but they must wait another handful of years before being able to drink.  It's insane.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »

Discrepancies between minimum age requirements like this pop up all over the place.  Look at the alcohol laws, for example.  A person may legally vote, have consensual sex, and fight for his or her country, but they must wait another handful of years before being able to drink.  It's insane.

But that was done on purpose.  I think this was more of an accident (at least that's the way the article makes it sound).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

There's also girls I could sleep with but I'd be a felon if I was found with a nude photo of them.

I know why the law's that way and everything, for practical reasons, but in practice it's still pretty ridiculous
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »

Dude, this is illegal everywhere in the Bad Place.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

But that was done on purpose.  I think this was more of an accident (at least that's the way the article makes it sound).

Your reply doesn't make a lot of sense, but regardless, when legislators arbitrarily pick age requirements for various activities, you're bound to find illogicalities like the example I gave.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »

Your reply doesn't make a lot of sense, but regardless, when legislators arbitrarily pick age requirements for various activities, you're bound to find illogicalities like the example I gave.

This was a loophole that I think was kinda a mistake.  The drinking age was set on purpose.  Either way, both are ridiculous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies