Opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:28:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson  (Read 9323 times)
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »

Absolutely outstanding President. If there was one person I wish I could meet, dead or alive, it would be him.

Vietnam was a mistake. He should not have escalated Vietnam. However, just like Obama inherting the economic crisis, he inherited Vietnam with about 16,000 troops at the time of Kennedy's death. Bush was in Iraq for Oil. However, at least LBJ used Vietnam to fund his Great Society Programs. Grading him on foreign policy, I'd give him a C because of the Dominican Republic incident. He wanted to avoid them becoming another Cuba, and he did. Sending troops to the Dominican saved lives.

And speaking of the Great Society, he was an excellent domestic president. Besides the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which he crossed party lines to get this done and do arm twisting, another civil rights accomplishment was in Fair Housing.

Now, onto the Great Society. Some believe this program failed. However, 45 years later, Medicare, Medicaid, and Federal Education funding still apply. The War on Poverty also proved to make progress as poverty decreased within the next decade.

We are at our highest unemployment rate since 1983. In his final year, the unemployment rate was at 3%. We also experienced economic growth by 4.5% during his time in office.

Also, I approve of his Supreme Court choices. He made history by appointing Thurgood Marshall. Do you think there would be a Sonia Sotomayor if there was no Thurgood Marshall? I think not! Plus, he appointed his good friend Abe Fortas to the court. Some criticized Fortas for talking to Lyndon too much, but he was a big role in the Tinker V. Des Moines case where the First Amendment applies to students as well. I have LBJ as the 5th greatest president behind Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Bill Clinton. No, he wasn't perfect, but he was great in my book.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »

He's a dick.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »

Sure, maybe he had an ego, and maybe he cheated on Lady Bird, but he was a very underrated President. People were so caught up in Vietnam that they didn't realize domestically this country was succeeding.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »

Everything about him is positive.  The Vietnam War was correct, but mismanaged.  His domestic policies are positive, with only the exception of affirmative action.

Wh- Wh- Wh What?!?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 08:45:01 PM »

I have a hugely negative opinion of the man himself, although I liked his domestic programs. Everything else about him is sh**t.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 09:10:50 PM »

The man was a genius politician. And as mentioned, not all of his foreign policy was bad (Dominican Republic). The Books Means of Ascent describes that when he taught Mexican children, nobody cared if they learned or not. But he did. He would push children to learn English. He would tongue lash the girls and spank the boys who didn't. He would sign them up for the debate team to help them, and urged the school to buy bats, balls, and volleyball nets, so they could play games during their free time.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 11:28:45 PM »

The man was a genius politician. And as mentioned, not all of his foreign policy was bad (Dominican Republic). The Books Means of Ascent describes that when he taught Mexican children, nobody cared if they learned or not. But he did. He would push children to learn English. He would tongue lash the girls and spank the boys who didn't. He would sign them up for the debate team to help them, and urged the school to buy bats, balls, and volleyball nets, so they could play games during their free time.

Don't worry, most of us have read Caro.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 12:19:53 AM »

No comment from opebo yet?
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52