Opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:05:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Opinion of Lyndon B. Johnson  (Read 9324 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2009, 01:48:57 PM by Kalwejt »

You opinions Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »

We've already done this one.....

I don't like Medicare (http://www.aapsonline.org/brochures/myths.htm, healthcare is more expensive because government has made it more expensive) or the War in Vietnam (no explanation necessary), but I appreciate his efforts on Civil Rights. And the economy was actually pretty good during his tenure.........

Probably lean freedom fighter, Civil Rights in my opinion should trump any screwup this man made in Vietnam.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »

By far one of the worst in our history, next to Carter, Obama, and Thomas Jefferson.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »

By far one of the worst in our history, next to Carter, Obama, and Thomas Jefferson.

So, passing civil rights, something no President before him could accomplish, meant nothing?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »

A mixed bag, good for civil rights and the Great Society, bad for the Vietnam war. Better than most Presidents.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »

Really, dude?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:44:52 AM »

Oh yes, he's greatly mistreated

Even as of Vietnam, sure a tragedy, he's not comparable, as some moron claims, to Dubya. First of all: he did not get U.S. involved, just inheritited the war. Second of all, until 1966 he thought all is going fine, misleaded by military reports.

But as of the Great Society, his legacy is enduring. Unlike overrated Clinton he left someting.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

A mixed bag, good for civil rights and the Great Society, bad for the Vietnam war. Better than most Presidents.

This.  Civil Rights and The Great Society/War on Poverty was a morally upright, absolute good.  The Vietnam war was the epitome of evil.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »

This.  Civil Rights and The Great Society/War on Poverty was a morally upright, absolute good.  The Vietnam war was the epitome of evil.

Agreed, though I'm a little less enthusiastic about the means of the Great Society.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »

FF. I supported The Vietnam war. Also, I supported all of his civil rights stances.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

The Vietnam War was a disaster, The Civil Rights laws were good, he seems to have had an ok economy, but in my opinion of him one word comes to mind. Politician.

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »

The Vietnam War was a disaster, The Civil Rights laws were good, he seems to have had an ok economy, but in my opinion of him one word comes to mind. Politician.

And then some.  One of the very best ever, in terms of getting people to see things his way.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »

Everything about him is positive.  The Vietnam War was correct, but mismanaged.  His domestic policies are positive, with only the exception of affirmative action.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »

Horrible, Horrible Person.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »

Really, dude?

Really. I extremely despise all that he's done/tried to do so far. And really, he's had enough time to screw up so don't give me that "Really?" crap.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 10:55:41 PM »

So, passing civil rights, something no President before him could accomplish, meant nothing?

Civil rights had been previously passed. They were just ignored and unenforced. Which Johnson wasn't the first to enforce either, seeing as Eisenhower sent the troops to Little Rock. Enforcement of previous civil rights legislation against the states would have been far greater than the mess that was the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »

Really, dude?

Really. I extremely despise all that he's done/tried to do so far. And really, he's had enough time to screw up so don't give me that "Really?" crap.

Are you a teabagger?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 11:10:32 PM »

Really, dude?

Are you a teabagger?

Look, it's more than just all the meaningless spending on pet projects and vote-purchasing. ANd don't give me that bullsh**t about 8 years of Bush. I know what the Bush years were like. I oppose that type of spending too. And I hate that you liberals always give that excuse about what Bush did, even though you claim to hate Bush more than anyone. So I am settling that preemptively. Obama's term has been completely dominated with intense partisanship, a cap-and-trade con (stealing our money to give more money to the Fortune 500s), Sonia Sotomayor (I'm Latino, she's racist), and the entire health-care debacle is despicable. Public option? And some in the House still pushing for single-payer? What is this, Canada? Do we really want our children's well-being in the hands of the people that operate the DMV?

Lies, fear, and excuses. That is all Obama has delivered. he campaigned against the politics of fear Bush used, and now scares everyone into supporting the "stimulus" that didn't work, and was never intended to work. Talk of a second stimulus before they can even half of the first one shows you how misled this administration is. None of the Cabinet Secretaries have any experience that qualifies them to advise a President who served as a Senator for only four years and has never been in charge of anything his entire life. In fact, they can't even pay their taxes. Which according to Biden, would make them unpatriotic. Apologizing for America makes us weaker, and when we are already in a state of decline, we don't need our own President to sell us out to ungrateful foreign "friends".
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »

Do we really want our children's well-being in the hands of the people that operate the DMV?

Whatever the DMV is, it isn't actively evil, unlike Big Insurance.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 04:44:14 PM »

Motor vehicle divisions aren't federal institutions and our children's well-being have been put into the hands of the state for years and years and years.  PHS doesn't change that at all.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »

Really, dude?

Are you a teabagger?

Look, it's more than just all the meaningless spending on pet projects and vote-purchasing. ANd don't give me that bullsh**t about 8 years of Bush. I know what the Bush years were like. I oppose that type of spending too. And I hate that you liberals always give that excuse about what Bush did, even though you claim to hate Bush more than anyone. So I am settling that preemptively. Obama's term has been completely dominated with intense partisanship, a cap-and-trade con (stealing our money to give more money to the Fortune 500s), Sonia Sotomayor (I'm Latino, she's racist), and the entire health-care debacle is despicable. Public option? And some in the House still pushing for single-payer? What is this, Canada? Do we really want our children's well-being in the hands of the people that operate the DMV?

Lies, fear, and excuses. That is all Obama has delivered. he campaigned against the politics of fear Bush used, and now scares everyone into supporting the "stimulus" that didn't work, and was never intended to work. Talk of a second stimulus before they can even half of the first one shows you how misled this administration is. None of the Cabinet Secretaries have any experience that qualifies them to advise a President who served as a Senator for only four years and has never been in charge of anything his entire life. In fact, they can't even pay their taxes. Which according to Biden, would make them unpatriotic. Apologizing for America makes us weaker, and when we are already in a state of decline, we don't need our own President to sell us out to ungrateful foreign "friends".

Ha, Thomas Jefferson evil? What about John "Alien and Sedition Acts" Adams?! Federalist loving scum!
Have you even researched Sonia Sotomayor's career? I haven't but I'm not going to automatically jump on the "OMG she hates white people" wagon based off of a quote taken completely out of context. If you find out that at least 25% of the cases she's done have been biased against white people, then I might take your word for it.
As for the idea that Obama has been engaging in nothing but a "World Wide Apology Tour", what do you expect? After 7 years of bullying the world somebody better do some apologizing to the world for forcing 21st century oil fueled imperialism on people. If I had succeded Bush I would've done the same thing except begin mutual trade relations (instead of this economic nationalist bullsh*t Obama is pushing, you know: BUY MURICAN!) with all nations we are trying to improve relations with. On that fact alone I'm giving Obama the benefit of the doubt (plus the fact that I doubt he will get alot of his agenda passed, I mean the Democratic Congress SUCKS. They need to grow some balls).
Hey I don't like the Democrat's agenda and Obama is not my favorite president, but I think it's too early to call him one of the worst ever. You forget we have guys like John Adams, all the Whig presidents, Ulysses S. Grant, William McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Richard Nixon, and George W. Bush to contend with.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

Everything about him is positive.  The Vietnam War was correct, but mismanaged.  His domestic policies are positive, with only the exception of affirmative action.

I beg to disagree. The Vietnam War was NOT correct. It was the product of anti-Communist, domino theory B.S. I would even take Eisenhower, one of my favorite presidents, to task for even involving the U.S. in this in the first place. The end of French colonialism in Indochina was none of our business; it was even something the U.S. should have celebrated.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »

And for the record, besides Civil Rights (admittedly, a pretty big caveat), Johnson sucks.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »

Great President, aside from Vietnam.
wdecker1
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: 1.39

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 12:44:33 AM »

Johnson was a good president with one major mistake.  The good points were: Civil Rights Act of 1964, Voting Rights Act of 1965, The Great Society (War on Poverty, Educational Funding, Medicare, Medicaid, National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities, Public Broadcasting, Cultural Centers, Transportation Funding, Consumer and Environmental Protection).  The big mistake: Vietnam.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies