What if Perot never dropped out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:44:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Perot never dropped out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could he have won in '92?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: What if Perot never dropped out?  (Read 1928 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2004, 07:49:34 PM »

Also, someone post a map
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 08:08:21 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2004, 08:13:01 PM by BRTD »

Something like this could actually be possible:

I think in heavily Republican states where Clinton was doing badly and the race was basically Bush/Perot there'd be a "Democrats for Perot" movement, pointing out that Clinton had no chance of winning the state and voting for him would be a wasted vote, yet if Perot won the state he could tip the election to the House which would likely elect Clinton, plus most Democrats would prefer Perot to Bush most likely. That'd help Perot a lot.
Tory

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 08:30:28 PM »

That would have been really cool. I think it was a bad move for the system that he dropped out. There was a serious challenger to the two party system that was actually polling in first at one time.

That said, George Bush(41) is who I most identify with in American politics and is one of my political heroes. If given the choice between Perot and Bush, I would have chosen Bush, but Perot was definately preferrable to Clinton.
Tory

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 09:01:07 PM »

Tory- You really admire Bush-41 that much? Wow! I think he is one of the worst presidents in recent memory. I even like Carter better. What is it about him that you like?

I can't really describe it. I find Bush the Elder fascinating. I love nearly everything about him. I like his personality. When he speaks I feel as if he is speaking to me. I adore Bush far more than Reagan, although I accept that Reagan was the greater president.

As for politics, he's a moderate centrist, but still a hardliner and a partisan. That's how I see myself
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 12:37:28 PM »

I did something on that before...way back, probably somewhere on the salvaged board by now...Basically, Perot could very possible have won, since he actually did lead in at least one Gallup-poll.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 02:39:50 PM »

Tory- You really admire Bush-41 that much? Wow! I think he is one of the worst presidents in recent memory. I even like Carter better. What is it about him that you like?

I can't really describe it. I find Bush the Elder fascinating. I love nearly everything about him. I like his personality. When he speaks I feel as if he is speaking to me. I adore Bush far more than Reagan, although I accept that Reagan was the greater president.

As for politics, he's a moderate centrist, but still a hardliner and a partisan. That's how I see myself

im also a big fan of george h.w. bush.  i think bush was a far superior president than reagan.  i also think ford was better than reagan.

as for the question at hand, i beleive that perot would have actually done WORSE had he not dropped out.  why?  because he almost definitely would have said something really stupid in the course of the campaign that would have shown the world how much of a looney he was.  the abbreviated campaign suited him better.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 01:58:01 PM »

I think Perot could have won states like Montana, Idaho, and Colorado. He was doing well in those three states, prior to his descision to drop out. I don't think he could have won either way, but he'd of been a force much longer than he was, had he stayed in.
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 02:36:48 PM »

He only lost Maine by a percent or two, finishing in second place.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 09:04:32 AM »

perot lost maine by about eight percent, now a percent or two
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 03:25:40 PM »

He could have won enough states to throw the election to the House...(where he would have inevitably lost)--but I don't think he could have pulled off 270 votes.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 12:31:13 AM »

as for the question at hand, i beleive that perot would have actually done WORSE had he not dropped out. why? because he almost definitely would have said something really stupid in the course of the campaign that would have shown the world how much of a looney he was. the abbreviated campaign suited him better.

He did say something looney when he came back!  Remember the comment about HW threatening his daughter's wedding or something like that?  Anyone with a better memory of that can refresh me on that.  I was young.

He could have won enough states to throw the election to the House...(where he would have inevitably lost)--but I don't think he could have pulled off 270 votes.

My thoughts exactly.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 01:04:07 PM »

as for the question at hand, i beleive that perot would have actually done WORSE had he not dropped out. why? because he almost definitely would have said something really stupid in the course of the campaign that would have shown the world how much of a looney he was. the abbreviated campaign suited him better.

He did say something looney when he came back!  Remember the comment about HW threatening his daughter's wedding or something like that?  Anyone with a better memory of that can refresh me on that.  I was young.

My thoughts exactly.

He said the Republicans were plannign a string of "dirty tricks" for his daughters wedding.

Keep in mind Perot's real goal was to keep Bush from reelection.  This is the main reason why he dropped out when he was at his strongest and campaigned against Bush.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies