Dirty South August Initiatives Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:38:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Dirty South August Initiatives Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Dirty South August Initiatives Thread  (Read 5094 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »
« edited: July 20, 2009, 11:16:24 PM by Lt. Gov. SPC »

All initiatives for the August election should be posted here.

Here are mine:

Bailout Refusal Act
The Dirty South refuses to receive any money offered to our region in the 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:06:43 AM »

I re-sign the legislature bill
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2009, 08:48:48 AM by SE Magistrate John Dibble »

I'm tired of the Dirty South - time for a name change:

Filthy South Bill

All references to "Dirty South" in any legal documents, titles, and official events of the region shall henceforth be replaced with "Filthy South".

Also, some stuff for me...

Magistrate Title and Powers Amendment

1. The title of "Magistrate" shall henceforth also be optionally referred to as "Judicial Overlord". During court proceedings it shall be the choice of the reigning Magistrate to decide which title he or she will be referred to.
2. Groveling to the Magistrate during court shall be considered lawful behavior that may not be punished by law.
3. The Magistrate may require those involved in court proceedings to wear silly hats while in court.

edit - corrected a typo
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03:08 AM »

I'll sign the Magistrate Powers Amendment

X DWTL
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »

I'll sign both of Dibble's.

XBacon King
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »

I sign everything proposed here so far, & re-introduce the legislature bill. Would it be required to repost the text of the bill since it has already been posted before?
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »

I, too, sign all the initiatives proposed above. I believe the text of the legislature bill does need to be reposted, PiT, because it has been reproposed. Had there been a tie, there would've been no need to repropose it.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:26:33 AM »

I, too, sign all the initiatives proposed above. I believe the text of the legislature bill does need to be reposted, PiT, because it has been reproposed. Had there been a tie, there would've been no need to repropose it.

The problem was that it was an amendment, so it required 2/3 support.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »

Regional Legislature Amendment

Article I, Section 9 is amended to read:

9. Should the Governor vacate his office for any reason, the Lieutenant Governor shall become Governor and may serve out the remainder of the Governor's term. If the Lieutenant Governor should for any reason vacate his position, a special election shall be immediately held to fill the seat for the remainder of the term. If the Governor and the Lieutenant Governor vacate their positions at the same time, a special election shall be held to fill both positions for the remainder of the term. The Speaker of the Assembly shall assume the duties of Governor on a provisional basis until a citizen of the region is elected to hold the position for the remainder of the term.

Inserted after Article I:

Article II: Regional Legislative Authority
1. The legislative power of the Southeast shall be vested in the Southeast Regional Legislature.
2. The Regional Legislature shall be composed of three members, each of whom shall be registered citizens residing in the Southeast Region.
3. The Regional Legislature shall have the power to choose its own officers, including a Speaker, and judge the qualifications of its members.
4. Elections to the Regional Legislature shall take place on the second to last weekend of January, March, May, July, September, and November.
5. The method of election shall be approval voting.
6. In the event that more candidates are elected than there are seats to be filled, a runoff election shall be held the following weekend between all elected candidates with the fewest preferences.
7. In the runoff election, voters will only be allowed to preference one candidate.
8. If after the runoff election there is still more elected candidates than there are seats to be filled, then from among those elected candidates who are tied for the fewest preferences the winner(s) shall be determined by a game of chance agreed upon by all those candidates affected.
9. Vacancies in the Regional Legislature shall be filled in a manner specified by Law, and until such determination is made, by Gubernatorial appointment.

Article III: Legislation
1. All ordinary legislation shall first be considered in the Regional Legislature.
2. Legislation shall be considered by the Regional Legislature upon petition of any Regional Legislature member, the Governor, or two Southeast citizens.
3. Should the Regional Legislature pass ordinary legislation by a majority vote, then the Governor may sign such legislation into Law, or veto such legislation. A veto may be overturned upon the unanimous vote of the Regional Legislature.
4. The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Regional Legislature. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law.
5. Should the Regional Legislature pass legislation that subsequently enters law, whether sign by the governor or via a veto override, and a group of 3 or more citizens publicly protest the measure in either the Southeast Regional Legislature or a separate thread, a public referendum shall be held on that legislation. All public referenda shall come to a vote in accordance with Article IV, Section 1 of this Constitution.

All subsequent articles shall be renumbered accordingly.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »

I find the "game of chance" provision especially fitting of the DS. Great way to make it your own. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:07:24 AM »

I find the "game of chance" provision especially fitting of the DS. Great way to make it your own. Wink

DS? When did this thread turn into a discussion of GameBoys?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:34 AM »

Here are mine:

Bailout Refusal Act
The Dirty South refuses to receive any money offered to our region in the 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill

Can't wait to take you guys to court over your stupidity.

Again.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 01:34:45 AM »

Here are mine:

Bailout Refusal Act

Can't wait to take you guys to court over your stupidity.

Again.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 01:55:26 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 02:11:17 AM by Senator Marokai Blue »

That's a very flimsy and broad interpretation, that disregards a number of clauses detailing the power of the Senate to legislate, supremacy clauses, and the Public Interest Amendment.

What rights does increasing spending and creating infrastructure projects deprive anyone of? Your argument is essentially a very radical one (over a very simple issue) that allows any region to do whatever the hell it wants, and disregard anything they're told.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »

And what rights does increasing spending and creating infrastructure projects deprive anyone of? Your argument is essentially a very radical one (over a very simple issue) that allows any region to do whatever the hell it wants, and disregard anything they're told.

How do you figure? The section just says that the Senate cannot compel the regions to act in a certain way (or forbid them from doing so) except to preserve the enumerated rights of the Senate or of the people.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 02:07:10 AM »

And what rights does increasing spending and creating infrastructure projects deprive anyone of? Your argument is essentially a very radical one (over a very simple issue) that allows any region to do whatever the hell it wants, and disregard anything they're told.

How do you figure? The section just says that the Senate cannot compel the regions to act in a certain way (or forbid them from doing so) except to preserve the enumerated rights of the Senate or of the people.

SPC's interpretation (that phrase alone should give anyone pause, considering his history of denying that regions can't create their own currency, and that he can play army men with his imaginary security forces) is that it's constitutional to reject simple funds, infrastructure projects, or any other government program created under the stimulus bill.

Following such logic, if simple funds, projects, and programs can be rejected or dismissed, anything could be rejected if the regions say they don't like something. SPC picked an odd bill to fight over considering its contents are uncontroversial. (In the sense that they do absolutely nothing not previously done or spent on.)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 02:15:45 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 02:19:31 AM by Lt. Gov. SPC »

SPC's interpretation (that phrase alone should give anyone pause, considering his history of denying that regions can't create their own currency, and that he can play army men with his imaginary security forces) is that it's constitutional to reject simple funds, infrastructure projects, or any other government program created under the stimulus bill.

Following such logic, if simple funds, projects, and programs can be rejected or dismissed, anything could be rejected if the regions say they don't like something. SPC picked an odd bill to fight over considering its contents are uncontroversial. (In the sense that they do absolutely nothing not previously done or spent on.)

No, because if you had bothered to read the part of the Constitution that I cited, the regions can be compelled to do something if it is to preserve the enumerated rights of the Senate or the people. Of course, given your overt disdain for the Atlasian Constitution, I doubt that you would care, except to the extend that it promotes your interests.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 02:18:26 AM »

Okay? If the Constitution says the region can do it, the region can do it (though rights of the Senate is a bizarre phrase; maybe it means that if a region refuses to elect a Senator, the Senate can force it to do so, or something to that effect).
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 02:24:23 AM by Lt. Gov. SPC »

Okay? If the Constitution says the region can do it, the region can do it (though rights of the Senate is a bizarre phrase; maybe it means that if a region refuses to elect a Senator, the Senate can force it to do so, or something to that effect).

I assume it means that the senate can only intervene if the region starts infringing on the peoples' rights (e.g. restricting free speech, restricting voting, or banning gun ownership)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 02:25:33 AM »

I care not for spoiling my case here. If the South is dumb enough to pass another batshit-crazy initiative designed to harm themselves just for the hell of it, (Who cares if you're the poorest and trashiest region as long as you adhere to fringe libertarianism, eh?) I'll happily stand by and watch, and assist the Attorney General in the second case against Atlasia's problem-region in recent months when charges are inevitably brought.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27:32 AM »

I care not for spoiling my case here. If the South is dumb enough to pass another batshit-crazy initiative designed to harm themselves just for the hell of it, (Who cares if you're the poorest and trashiest region as long as you adhere to fringe libertarianism, eh?) I'll happily stand by and watch, and assist the Attorney General in the second case against Atlasia's problem-region in recent months when charges are inevitably brought.

So not particpating in stupid sleight-of-hand schemes such as the Bailout package makes us "trashy"? BTW, I do plan on challenging the COnstitutionality of the bailout itself, so this initiative might not even be necessary.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »

I assume it means that the senate can only intervene if the region starts infringing on the peoples' rights (e.g. restricting free speech, restricting voting, or banning gun ownership)

Well that's evidently what's meant by the "rights of the people", but it also allows the Senate to act to protect the "rights of the Senate", which seems rather ambiguous.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 02:34:10 AM »

So not particpating in stupid sleight-of-hand schemes such as the Bailout package makes us "trashy"? BTW, I do plan on challenging the COnstitutionality of the bailout itself, so this initiative might not even be necessary.

First of all, 'sleight of hand schemes'? This isn't a secret plot to take over the world, SPC. Secondly, what bailout? Are you referring to the auto-industry penny-tossing of an optional 5 billion dollars in emergency funds? Even so, this has nothing to do with the Southeast.

"Poorest and trashiest" generally refers to the fact that the South has historically been poorer and more afflicted with poverty and a host of other social ills. I see you want to let that continue. Long live regional rights!

As for your other plans to challenge the bill itself, I can't wait. It is a shame, though. I thought the Mideast was becoming the idiot region, but I'm glad to see the Southeast working very hard to take back the crown.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 04:19:33 AM »

If the Bailout (huh?) Refusal Act is passed, then I and my Attorney General will do everything in our power to ensure that the livelihoods of the good people of the Southeast are not held hostage to a bunch of anarcho-capitalist radicals. I would hope the Southeast has the good sense not to pass it though and not stand in the way of much needed relief and aid.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 11:39:53 AM »

If the Bailout (huh?) Refusal Act is passed, then I and my Attorney General will do everything in our power to ensure that the livelihoods of the good people of the Southeast are not held hostage to a bunch of anarcho-capitalist radicals.
Even if the citizens of the Dirty South themselves decide they don't want the money. I guess respecting democracy must be some kind of crazy anarcho-capitalist idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies