Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:38:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)  (Read 31079 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »

Abstain

I would still like to know what we just did.

We created regional authorities to manage the healthcare program.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »

Abstain

Sensible enough then. Aye ftr.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »

Abstain

Which I guess the Southeast could just use to ignore the program.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »

Abstain

No, since the program is independant of regions.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:27 AM »

Abstain

No, since the program is independant of regions.

That's what it looked like when I read it. These are federal organizations that are designated to run health care in specific regions. The regions cannot deny their existence and people are free to access the government run plan.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2009, 09:02:13 AM »

That's what it looked like when I read it. These are federal organizations that are designated to run health care in specific regions. The regions cannot deny their existence and people are free to access the government run plan.

Exactly. They are essentially 'providers' in the sense they deliver local servives that are tailored to meet the needs of the populace. They are bodies based on the regions but only contiguous to them and are elected independently.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2009, 09:48:13 AM »

Can we see a current version of the bill? Just so I refer to things correctly in the amendment I plan to introduce.

Amendments by Franzl, Morakai Blue, and Afleitch have passed (although Franzl's was irrelevant due to Morakai's doing the same thing).  Here is the bill as it now stands:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This amendment has been offered, and yet to be voted upon:

Amendment

Section 2 shall read as follows:
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2009, 10:15:01 AM »

Much obliged Fritz.

Another amendment:

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »

I think this is an actual amendment so:

I hereby open up a vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »

While I extend gratitude to you Jedi for managing this...tricky thread I will have to speak to Franzl on this amendment. We had had a discussion and he had agreed to putting dental care back into the bill for minors, reconstructive dentistry etc; unfortunately and understandably it wasn't amended. I have no issue with the rest of the amendment but won't vote on it just yet.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

When the Senator making the proposal uses a phrase, such as "I'd like something like...", I think it's pretty clear that this is not the actual amendment being proposed, just a debating point on a potential amendment to be proposed.  Also nowhere in his post did Franzl indicate that this was his proposed amendment.

If we're really voting on this, than nay because it's not worded properly.  I request that MasterJedi abort this vote, as it does not appear to have been Franzl's intention that this be voted upon.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »

When the Senator making the proposal uses a phrase, such as "I'd like something like...", I think it's pretty clear that this is not the actual amendment being proposed, just a debating point on a potential amendment to be proposed.  Also nowhere in his post did Franzl indicate that this was his proposed amendment.

If we're really voting on this, than nay because it's not worded properly.  I request that MasterJedi abort this vote, as it does not appear to have been Franzl's intention that this be voted upon.

Ditto, nay.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »

Yes, and it seems afleitch has retracted it until the wording can be finalized.

What is the amendment queue like at this point? I have one on financing the bill pretty far back at this point. Plus the one above. Who else has pending amendments? And bravo to MJ for working with us on this.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »

Ok, I'll stop the vote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2009, 05:35:33 PM »

I don't know if anyone said anything about it yet but the main reason this won't work is there aren't enough doctors to go around. There isn't enough as it is now to care for everyone and the number of doctors and nurses is dropping each year. If we pass anything we'll be bringing on rationing in all but name so say bye bye to any care for old people and many others.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »

I don't know if anyone said anything about it yet but the main reason this won't work is there aren't enough doctors to go around. There isn't enough as it is now to care for everyone and the number of doctors and nurses is dropping each year. If we pass anything we'll be bringing on rationing in all but name so say bye bye to any care for old people and many others.

I would disagree with that. There are many reasons to oppose this sort of system but to say there is a 'lack of doctors' so therefore it won't work is a bit off field. Cuba has more doctors per head than the UK, but the UK provides a better quality service. We have something like 2.2 per 1000 as opposed to 2.3 in the US and 3.3 in Sweden and 4.1 in Italy. Its not resources that are the issue but how they are best utilised.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »

I would disagree with that. There are many reasons to oppose this sort of system but to say there is a 'lack of doctors' so therefore it won't work is a bit off field. Cuba has more doctors per head than the UK, but the UK provides a better quality service. We have something like 2.2 per 1000 as opposed to 2.3 in the US and 3.3 in Sweden and 4.1 in Italy. Its not resources that are the issue but how they are best utilised.

I agree, this is not a sound argument for opposing this.  Back it up with some kind of facts and maybe I will listen.

In the meantime, there are several real amendments out there that should be brought forth for discussion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2009, 05:54:45 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken this is the next amendment:

I'll continue to vote to amendmend this to make it better. And if it's still bad like I suspect it'll be come in the final vote time there should be enough votes to sustain a filibuster. It only takes 4.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »

Aye on the amendment.

As for filibustering, go right ahead. I see no reason to unless you just want to whine about it. If you lose the vote, you lose the vote. You've not participated in this discussion in the slightest and now you want a filibuster? Speaks volumes about the opposition, in my opinion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2009, 06:06:30 PM »

Aye on the amendment.

As for filibustering, go right ahead. I see no reason to unless you just want to whine about it. If you lose the vote, you lose the vote. You've not participated in this discussion in the slightest and now you want a filibuster? Speaks volumes about the opposition, in my opinion.

There is no vote yet. I'm just giving it till tomorrow morning to open up a vote. This needs to get actual good debate time first since everything's so jumbled.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2009, 06:08:15 PM »

Aye on the amendment.

There is no vote yet. I'm just giving it till tomorrow morning to open up a vote. This needs to get actual good debate time first since everything's so jumbled.

My apologies, you generally don't bring up an amendment unless you wanted a vote on it, in the past, anyway.

I assumed that considering we've had pages of discussion on finances, you would've been satisfied with debate. Apparently not.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »

I believe we have reached general consensus on this funding mechanism. I am open to additional methods to raise revenue as part of this amendment if anyone has ideas.

I would also appreciate if the GM could give us an idea of a) how much the bill will cost and b) how much this amendment would raise towards that end.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »

Do you have an amendment to propose to the amendment, Mr. PPT?  I'm inclined to vote in favor of it, but I'd be willing to hold off for a  bit if you have changes you want to propose.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2009, 07:40:34 PM »

Could the honerable Senator explain what he means by "best utilised"? What do you think is a poor utilization of medical resources?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2009, 06:55:58 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on the following amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies