Alternative Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:44:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Alternative Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Alternative Constitutional Convention  (Read 2336 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »

Given that the other has been essentially a wash for advocates of reform, would true-minded proponents of reform like to have a get-together here?  Would help both in suggesting alternatives and in making sure we know who all of us are (in case you don't want to join the LNF for some rason).

Obviously, creating a whole constitution would be rather boring, so I propose we come up with some points to create a MANIFESTO.  Because "manifesto" is an awesome word.  I propose we title it "Ostend Manifesto Part II", because, really "Ostend Manifesto" is a pretty awesome name for a manifesto, and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

This "Alternative Constitutional Convention" is primarily geared towards proponents of reforms such as the abolition of regional senate seats and the like.  Obviously, I'm not saying that no one else can participate, but since this isn't actually the convention it doesn't make sense to be trying to demolish our every argument in this thread.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:55:25 PM »

If you've got something worth saying, please say it now.

Shall we have members sign in?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:58:18 PM »

I apologize, but I personally oppose abolish regional senate seats.

Here's something I would like to see:

I remember someone suggesting adding a house of represenatives? That's something I would love to see. Maybe have a Congress of 15 or 20 members. The Senate could be elected by STV while the House could be represented by districts (created from regions).

I understand there's an issue of competitive elections, but I don't think that's the fault of the system. We need to be more anti-establishment with our votes, encourage people to run, etc...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »

Now, that's interesting, but what if there were multi-seat regional constituencies? This would require larger regions, of course.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:18:37 PM »

A House of Representives is entirely unnecessary. It's change for change's sake.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »

...So?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »

Well, there's no need to rock the boat with 133 citizens just for the hell of it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »

A House of Representives is entirely unnecessary. It's change for change's sake.

It would make the game more fun. I'm trying to make the game more fun. I think this game could be more than just elections. I miss when we used to have redistribution, there would always be a lot of fun redistricting. When we abolished that, we lost a fun part of the game.

I just created a proposal map for a possible House. I know what the complaints will be (districts are too small, yadda, yadda). But, it was fun, and I think we can have fun doing it.

I used the formula for apportioning of the US Congress based on our current voter rolls.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »

There could be a unicameral legislature, which each of those districts electing three members.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »

I really tried to get a "re-regioning" procedure past the ConCon, but I faced nothing but opposition, so I dropped it.  I really would like an element of proportional representation (with gerrymandering being a potential issue) to be re-introduced to the game.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »

I would be more supportive of a return to districts or a bicameral legislature if it were accompanied by the abolition of regions, but that's pretty much unfeasible in the current political climate.

However, one thing that I brought up during the Convention was the idea of self-determined regional boundaries.  This would go a step further than Fritz.  My idea would essentially be for another "election" every few months.  Citizens would be allowed to vote on either whether to remain in their current region or move to a new one or on what region they want to be a part of (the difference seems like one of semantics, but it likely would lead to different voter behavior—there's a reason I changed the Midwest Constitution to a retain/not retain gubernatorial election when I attempted to create a constitutional amendment to comply with the ilikeverin Governor for Life Act).  Within each state a tally would be made and the region with the most votes would be joined by that particular state (ties and states without residents would have to be resolved somehow...).  That way there would be the introduction of a healthy level of competition between the regions (so people who wanted an assembly could be with others who wanted an assembly and so on).
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »

I apologize, but I personally oppose abolish regional senate seats.

Here's something I would like to see:

I remember someone suggesting adding a house of represenatives? That's something I would love to see. Maybe have a Congress of 15 or 20 members. The Senate could be elected by STV while the House could be represented by districts (created from regions).

I understand there's an issue of competitive elections, but I don't think that's the fault of the system. We need to be more anti-establishment with our votes, encourage people to run, etc...

The idea of a House is the current proposal in the Convention. Feel free to participate and check it out.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »

Here's something for you: dual office-holding.

Here's another thing for you: unfixed legislative terms.

Here's a third thing for you: governmental responsibility.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »

Can I be the Arnaud Montebourg of Atlasia, launching a crusade against dual office-holding and later being holding three?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Endors'd
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »

Can I be the Arnaud Montebourg of Atlasia, launching a crusade against dual office-holding and later being holding three?

Only after it gets passed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:41 AM »

Hm hmm. I've more or less given up on meaningful reform. But this thing is certain to be at least as relevant as the official Convention, not that it would be possible not to be.

Also, Ostend is a boring little commercial port.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 03:57:08 AM »

Here's another thing for you: unfixed legislative terms.

Here's a third thing for you: governmental responsibility.

1) No one wants it.

2) No one wants it.

3) No one wants it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 04:07:08 AM »

True, Mr President.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »

It's true that only I want the last two, but I thought there were more people in favor of dual office holding than just me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »

I believe there are.

But let us start with an analysis of the current system. What is wrong, and why?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2009, 12:59:54 PM by Senator Purple State »

I believe there are.

But let us start with an analysis of the current system. What is wrong, and why?

Non-competitive elections for important positions because there are too many higher offices and too few lower seats. Also, inactivity is an issue, but that is cured by sparking interest and hasn't seemed to be much of a problem of late.

Really, regional legislatures, simply to create more avenues for new members to learn and participate are the best solution to it all. They tend to serve as refining mills and launching pads for new members to gain prominence and eventually fun for higher office. So the next question is how can a federal amendment spur the formation of regional legislatures. That's what needs to be answered.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »

I support dual office-holding. Unfixed legislative terms could be interesting.

I have no interest in governmental responsibility.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »

I believe there are.

Non-competitive elections for important positions because there are too many higher offices and too few lower seats. Also, inactivity is an issue, but that is cured by sparking interest and hasn't seemed to be much of a problem of late.

Really, regional legislatures, simply to create more avenues for new members to learn and participate are the best solution to it all. They tend to serve as refining mills and launching pads for new members to gain prominence and eventually fun for higher office. So the next question is how can a federal amendment spur the formation of regional legislatures. That's what needs to be answered.
Oh great, even more uncompetitive elections.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »

Most regional legislatures have uncompetitive elections (although not the Mideast for the first time which is a great sign), but they later to more competitive elections higher up because they produce more viable candidates
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies