How many times a year do you sing the National Anthem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 01:24:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many times a year do you sing the National Anthem?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How many times a year do you sing the National Anthem?  (Read 5274 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »

I can't remember a time in the last year.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »

When I was in choir we sang it at all of the football games.

Otherwise I probably sing it about 3 times per year.

I've also sung the Japanese, Chinese, and Korean national anthems.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »

There Phil goes being overly sensitive again...turning harmless sports ribbing into personal insults.  Funny thing is, I've only used the phrase "How dare you" one time in my 16000+ posts on the forum, and it was in an obvious joking context (well, for both of us Wink ):
This wasn't meant to be funny. This is a woman trying to be political. How many girls are on this thing anyway?

By the way, is the harsh treatment because I am an independent thinker dating a Republican? Just because I probably want the Democrats and he is a big Republican doesn't mean we can't be happy together.
Yes, how DARE you date a Republican!  That is just sickening...interpolitical dating really needs to be outlawed everywhere.  Thank God it is already illegal in Mississippi!

Harry, you've gone on stupid nationalist crusades in other areas and just because we have focused on sports doesn't mean you haven't seriously engaged in "Are you patriotic enough?" discussions. Remember your stupidity about dual citizenship?
I usually don't pile on you for your argument strategies, but this is a pretty glaring strawman.  I never said that we should abolish dual citizenship because everyone should just be American because we're better.  I just don't see the point of it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »

I usually don't pile on you for your argument strategies, but this is a pretty glaring strawman.  I never said that we should abolish dual citizenship because everyone should just be American because we're better.  I just don't see the point of it.

You did it because of your uber nationalism. Otherwise, you wouldn't have started bitching about it right after we were having other debates that centered around nationalism.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »

You did it because of your uber nationalism. Otherwise, you wouldn't have started bitching about it right after we were having other debates that centered around nationalism.

I did it because Giuseppe Rossi was annoying me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »

...which goes back to your ridiculous, chest beating nationalism.

This has gotten old now, pal. You're boring me. Just fade back to irrelevance, please.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »

...which goes back to your ridiculous, chest beating nationalism.
A guy who could play on the team I cheer for plays on another.  Of course that's going to annoy me.  Everything doesn't boil back to "nationalism"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »

A guy who could play on the team I cheer for plays on another.  Of course that's going to annoy me.  Everything doesn't boil back to "nationalism"

You complained that he ought to play for the U.S. team because he was born in America. It has everything to do with nationalism. Don't tell me you weren't doing your chest beating about nationalism, Harry. You said I ought to root for the U.S. In this case, yes, it boils down to nationalism.

Amazingly, you wanted to leave the nationalism aspect of the debate when I mentioned that my Dad, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, cheered for the Italians as well. That's when you suddenly didn't want any part in a patriotism debate. I'll give you another chance to challenge his patriotism.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »

You complained that he ought to play for the U.S. team because he was born in America. It has everything to do with nationalism. Don't tell me you weren't doing your chest beating about nationalism, Harry. You said I ought to root for the U.S. In this case, yes, it boils down to nationalism.
I also think that people who live in Starkville ought to root for Mississippi State, people from Atlanta ought to root for the Braves, etc.  That doesn't make me a cityist on behalf of those cities, nor does it make people who don't bad people or haters of their city.

Amazingly, you wanted to leave the nationalism aspect of the debate when I mentioned that my Dad, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, cheered for the Italians as well. That's when you suddenly didn't want any part in a patriotism debate. I'll give you another chance to challenge his patriotism.
What?  I didn't know either of those facts.  You must be confusing me with that guy who Chesco or whatever that guy's name is.
Anyhow, as I've already said many times, I don't question your patriotism or your dad's.  All I ever said on the subject was that if you or your dad were Democratic politicians, your party would crucify them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

Harry, you've complained that I wasn't patriotic enough and you justified it because I'm a Republican and (according to you) I deserve the hell that certain prominent Democrats received for not being patriotic enough (even though I've never engaged in any of that stuff).

What?  I didn't know either of those facts.  You must be confusing me with that guy who Chesco or whatever that guy's name is.

I specifically addressed it to you.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Right and that's irrelevant since I don't engage in that. You've tried to make this into a hypocrisy thing, too, and that's definitely not the case.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »

Harry, you've complained that I wasn't patriotic enough and you justified it because I'm a Republican and (according to you) I deserve the hell that certain prominent Democrats received for not being patriotic enough (even though I've never engaged in any of that stuff).
I never said you "deserve" it, just that it's weird.

Right and that's irrelevant since I don't engage in that. You've tried to make this into a hypocrisy thing, too, and that's definitely not the case.
I've never called you a hypocrite, but you must admit the whole thing is bizarre interesting.  Most Republicans would never root for another country's national team.

I think this whole argument you've been making is pretty solid proof of my point that you are the sensitive one.  You took some harmless comments over sports and turned them into piercing personal insults.  You should probably never go to a sports message board if you can't handle some simple ribbing over liking another country's team.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »

But the more pressing point is...why the Hell did my poll about us get deleted?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »

I've never called you a hypocrite, but you must admit the whole thing is bizarre interesting.  Most Republicans would never root for another country's national team.

No, it's not really bizzare. Most people in this country don't give a damn about Soccer, therefore, they have no connection to Soccer teams. When they do choose to "pay attention," of course they'll root for their country. They don't have any other connections. They don't care.

Actually, most Republicans and Democrats would never root for another country's national team in this sport or any other sport so this really isn't a partisan issue.

Harry, you are the one that constantly brings up my allegiance to this country whenever Soccer is the topic. I knew you'd do it with the Confederations Cup because you did it before.

This has nothing to do with being able to handle ribbing about sports. Believe me, I deal with far worse. Sorry to bruise that already damaged ego but attacks from you are very easily handled. It's the point that you feel the need to constantly criticize based on national pride. It proves that you are sensitive about who Americans support. I just find it a bit irritating that so many Americans do this ridiculous chest beating over what team someone like myself ought to support...in a sport they don't even care about. I'm certainly not sensitive about who I support though. I'm not ashamed.

If you want to actually give me a hard time about the game, be my guest. I like discussing/debating the game itself. I'm sure I'm not going to agree with you but at least it's a debate about the game itself and not the chest beating, flag waving, uber nationalism that you want it to be. I can handle it but I don't think it's what ought to be focused on. Leave it to an American (who knows little to nothing about the game) to play up the American stereotype though...

I have a feeling that blatant trolling might have had something to do with it. That thread would have caused nothing but trouble. We know how people feel about us (especially me) around here, Harry. No need to add fuel to the fire.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

Well I'm not sure what else to say about soccer other than I don't particularly care about the sport unless the national team is playing, because I want America to always do well.  If you want to cheer for another team, that's fine, even though I think Americans should cheer for their team, just like Italians should cheer for theirs, Nigerians should cheer for theirs, etc. (though if anyone foreign wants to cheer for ours, I won't turn them away, of course).

But I think the soccer thing has run its course. How about we let it rest until the World Cup starts?

I have a feeling that blatant trolling might have had something to do with it. That thread would have caused nothing but trouble. We know how people feel about us (especially me) around here, Harry. No need to add fuel to the fire.

"Blantant trolling?"  Perhaps.  But all kinds of similar threads are constantly created and not deleted.  Like "BRTD vs. iPhone"...what kind of stupid poll is that?  Or any of the myriad quotes people make and BRTD turns into a poll.  How is my poll any different?  If the mods want to do away with all of them, fine, but I feel singled out here.

And nice job working in the "woe-is-me-everybody-hates-me" thing you do into the thead.  At least you weren't essentially banned for 3 weeks and have no one even notice or care.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »

Well I'm not sure what else to say about soccer other than I don't particularly care about the sport unless the national team is playing, because I want America to always do well.  If you want to cheer for another team, that's fine, even though I think Americans should cheer for their team

So, again, this is about your nationalism. I have no connection to the American team, Harry. I haven't followed them. I don't care to follow them. I shouldn't have to cheer for any team I don't care for/follow.

This isn't about wanting or not wanting America to do well.

Then report the other threads but your thread was aiming to start trouble and you even admit it!

LOL

Woe is meRoll Eyes  Harry, I'm not saying everybody hates me; I was just stating that we know what the results would be. I'm not popular here and, frankly, I don't care. You, on the other hand, constantly whine about not being popular and being forgotten.

The gem of your last idiotic post was claiming that I am doing woe is me and then you complain about being "essentially banned" and having no one notice or care. You make this way too funny and way too easy. Thanks for proving my point.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

Well I'm not sure what else to say about soccer other than I don't particularly care about the sport unless the national team is playing, because I want America to always do well.  If you want to cheer for another team, that's fine, even though I think Americans should cheer for their team

So, again, this is about your nationalism. I have no connection to the American team, Harry. I haven't followed them. I don't care to follow them. I shouldn't have to cheer for any team I don't care for/follow.

This isn't about wanting or not wanting America to do well.
Of course you shouldn't have to cheer for them.  It's just weird that you don't.  For the nth time, I really don't care and I think your failure to let this go just shows how overly sensitive about it you are.

Then report the other threads but your thread was aiming to start trouble and you even admit it!
I don't want to report other threads because I don't have a problem with them.  I wasn't trying to "start trouble" and it's pretty weird that you say "you even admit it!" when I most obviously did not.
I don't think the poll I posted was too bad.  I'm actually curious to see how you and I come across to others, and it wasn't mean-spirited or anything (obviously, I'm not going to start a mean spirited poll about myself!)
But I guess I wasn't giving consideration to your sensitivity.

LOL

Woe is meRoll Eyes  Harry, I'm not saying everybody hates me; I was just stating that we know what the results would be. I'm not popular here and, frankly, I don't care. You, on the other hand, constantly whine about not being popular and being forgotten.

The gem of your last idiotic post was claiming that I am doing woe is me and then you complain about being "essentially banned" and having no one notice or care. You make this way too funny and way too easy. Thanks for proving my point.
I "constantly whine about not being popular"?  I "constantly whine" about it?  Exaggerate much?  I've mentioned maybe 2 or 3 times ever that I feel forgotten on this forum, and it's really not that big of a deal.  You're probably just assuming that I'm as sensitive about forum matters as you are, as you do pretty often refer to the fact that you aren't very popular here, even though I'm not really sure that's true.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2009, 12:34:04 AM by Keystone Phil »

What the hell is weird about me not rooting for the U.S.? Have I not gone over this enough?

The U.S. team is not impressive. There isn't enough appreciation for the sport among the public and, believe it or not, I consider when cheering for a team. I like passion. The Italian team has a history of excellence. The Italian team has some of the most passionate supporters (both in Italy and around the world).

I'm used to living in a country that literally laughs off this sport. I'm sorry that I'm not rushing to support a mediocre team in a hostile environment. So don't expect me to suddenly go crazy for the American team when they're suddenly doing well. I have my personal Soccer allegiance already. I'm happy with it. I have good reasons for prefering the Italians so I fail to see how it's "weird" that I'm not a fan of the U.S. squad.

it's pretty weird that you say "you even admit it!" when I most obviously did not.

You said "perhaps" when you addressed whether or not this was blatant trolling. Since you know your own motives and you're acknowledging that there is a chance it was trolling, I take that as admitting to trolling.

Right. Let's get back to how nobody cares about you and stuff like that and then we'll lecture others about sensitivity...

There are times when you go on and on about being forgotten. It's really pathetic and the fact that you just brought it up on your own makes it even more obvious that it is a big deal to you.

I pretty often do that? Uh? I said it here as a reason why the poll wasn't needed. I also said you aren't very popular so my point was that a poll about two unpopular people wasn't exactly a great idea. Saying this was all "woe is me" is hilarious inaccurate since I acknowledged that both of us are unpopular.

I don't care that I'm unpopular with a bunch of people who mean very little to me. To think that I complain even have as much about being unpopular as you do about being forgotten is laughable. I just mention that I'm unpopular when a thread about my personality surfaces and I only mention it as a way to end the thread to avoid further problems.

Anyway, Harry, I'd rather have a brain tumor right now than continue this so let's just let it go.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »

So...anyone like to get back to the original question of the thread?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »

once, maybe twice a year.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 12:47:57 AM »

To think that I complain even have as much about being unpopular as you do about being forgotten is laughable.
Now this could be a poll question if it wouldn't get deleted, and I think almost everyone here would say you talk about being unliked more than I talk about being forgotten.

Also, for the nth time, I don't care what soccer team you like and I really don't need you to explain it again.  However your logic for disliking the US team logically translates to not liking your Phillies (well, at least before 2008), the losingest team in MLB history, and until this past year, a team that had won one WS championship in over 100 years of existence.

And before you get all huffy and sensitive about that comment, I don't care what baseball team you like.  It just seems interesting that you'll cheer for Phillies since they're from your city even though they're a bunch of losers (at least, until very recently), but you won't cheer for your loser national soccer team.  But that's just an observation, so don't get sensitive and defensive about it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »

zero times.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2009, 02:41:02 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2009, 02:42:33 AM by Keystone Phil »

Now this could be a poll question if it wouldn't get deleted, and I think almost everyone here would say you talk about being unliked more than I talk about being forgotten.

Roll Eyes

Right, Harry. You win.

But I'll always have that hilarious poll where a plurality of people agreed with me, saying your nationalist rhetoric was more mindless Mississippian blabber.

Mmmm...I knew you would do this. For someone apparently so smart, you struggle with logic.

I never said I dislike teams that don't have a history of excellence. I have other natural connections to teams like the Phillies. I simply stated the Italian history of excellence and the American history of total disappointment in Soccer are additional reasons why I like the former and don't care for the latter.

Nice try though.

Right, which translates to, "Don't tell me why my comparison is wrong. That means you're being 'sensitive' and 'defensive.'"

I explained why your comparison is flat out wrong. Now it is my hope you can accept it without throwing a hissy fit and move on. Thanks again.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 02:47:22 AM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 11:54:56 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2009, 12:00:12 PM by Harry »

But I'll always have that hilarious poll where a plurality of people agreed with me, saying your nationalist rhetoric was more mindless Mississippian blabber.
Got it.  "getting on your nerves" = "more mindless Mississippian blabber".  And you think I make logical leaps?  Anyway, of course you were going to get a majority of the people in the poll.  Every foreigner was going to vote with you, and the Americans here skew very liberal.
I'm going to ignore the thinly veiled "you're from Mississippi!" insult you threw at me, because you did it just to annoy me, but I will point out that if I were an African-American from Philly you would never call my patriotism "more mindless black blabber."  Or maybe you would.  But presumably not, at least on a public forum.

Mmmm...I knew you would do this. For someone apparently so smart, you struggle with logic.

I never said I dislike teams that don't have a history of excellence. I have other natural connections to teams like the Phillies. I simply stated the Italian history of excellence and the American history of total disappointment in Soccer are additional reasons why I like the former and don't care for the latter.
There you go being sensitive again.  You shouldn't have to justify what teams you like, but I guess something struck a nerve in you.
Obviously there's no 1:1 comparison between MLB teams and international soccer teams, but the Phillies might be the team I would compare to the USA if I tried to make a long list...or maybe the Rangers.  Anyhow, as usual, you are overlysensitively blowing things way out of proportion here by turning my sports ribbing into a "struggle with logic"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »

I'm going to ignore the thinly veiled "you're from Mississippi!" insult you threw at me, because you did it just to annoy me

LOL

Glad you weren't trying to just annoy me here, Harry.  Roll Eyes

Ok, Harry.

Yes, what struck a nerve was your lack of logic.

Harry, let me make this simple for that simple, backwoods mind and I'll do this for the final time:

I gave numerous reasons for supporting Team A and for not supporting Team B. You took those reasons and tried to apply them to another team that I support. Just because this other team doesn't have the qualities I appreciate in Team A (and though they may seem like Team B), that doesn't mean I don't have other reasons to support that team.

I don't just support the Azzurri because they're excellent. Excellence for the Italians and mediocrity (at best) for the Americans aren't the only reasons I support one team and not the other so please stop making the comparison with the Philles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies