The Alliance for the Rights of Newbies in Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 04:47:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Alliance for the Rights of Newbies in Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Alliance for the Rights of Newbies in Atlasia  (Read 4076 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »

- I have not yet been an inhibition of the great nation of Atlasia for a month. Still I’ve already found great joy in this game and I hope to be here for a long time and contribute with a lot to this place. The things I’ve seen of Atlasia this far has mostly been very positive.

There are a few things though, which have not been quite so pleasant. I’m of course speaking of the constant prejudice and discrimination that I see everyday here in Atlasia from the more experienced posters towards the new members.

New members are accused of being, stupid voter slaves, trolls, and jokes as soon as they set foot in the forums. Instead of seeing the new energy and ideas that new members can contribute to the game with, several senior citizens see only a threat towards their current elitist culture.

I guess in these modern days when people have discovered that blaming the Jews for every single problem in society isn’t actually accurate, they needed to find new scapegoats.   

Are there not enough competitive elections any longer? Well it's the new members fault obviously. Did a controversial amendment just fail? Well what do you expect with all these new members, they’re all a bunch of voting slaves? Did the best poster in Atlasia just reveal that he is in fact some random dude named Josh and a fraud? It’s all the newbies fault.   

Unfortunately, even though previous paragraph was nothing but utter silliness (Except the part that Dan is the best poster that was true) this seems to be the general opinion among a small number of posters.

I will not deny that there are troubles with a few of us new citizens. There are trolls among us, yes. There are stupid people among us, yes. But there are troubles within every community. Do not act like there are no trolls among the old members of the Atlas. Intelligent people can say stupid things too sometimes and be more than ignorant. Even prophets sin from time to time. The fact that we have a few bad posters among us does not justify all of us being treated like idiots as soon as we voice our opinions.

- That’s why (yes I actually has a point with this post) I have decided to start ARNA, the Alliance for the Rights of Newbies in Atlasia.

The ARNA is intended to be a non-partisan organisation working for a better environment for new members that join Atlasia.

We will oppose and work against legislation that will limit the rights of new Atlatians such as the current Intelligent-voting amendment (that with its very name seems to imply that newbies are something stupid that has to be removed.)

We will work for a more welcoming and friendly Atlasia, where newbies does not get called a joke simply for being new.

And we’ll help the newest of the new members to find their way around Atlasia when they’re here. Make sure they register correctly so their votes are not deemed invalid when election comes around, as well as help them with other things they find tricky around the forum.

It’s about time Atlasia starts appreciating all its members. It’s about time we stand up for ourselves and our rights.

Now there’s only more thing I’d like to ask?

Who’s with me?

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »

I believe that it's a very good idea.  And would be honored to be a member, and possibly help lead the orginization. Smiley
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »

I believe that it's a very good idea.  And would be honored to be a member, and possibly help lead the orginization. Smiley

Great to have you onboard Barnes. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:18:15 PM »

Great to have you onboard Barnes. Smiley

Thanks! Smiley I've always thought that Newbies need more representation! And you have the perfect idea for it!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 06:20:23 PM »

The amendment doesn't limit anyone's rights. No one already registered will be untouched. Don't be an idiot.

I've said time and time again, all this amendment does is modestly increase registration requirements and make sure someone's account has to be the age of the rough equivalent of an election cycle before they can run for President or the Senate. It doesn't tough regional offices, such as Gov. or Lt. Gov. You can still be appointed to the cabinet, still argue in court, still vote just like you do now, still run organizations like newspapers, still participate in debate over legislation here and in the Constitutional Convention..

Atlasia is meant to be a playground for member of the Atlas forum, it's not meant to be crap for newbie flies to flock to at the direction of those who wish to use your votes for political gain. I stress, again, that the "three and six month time limits" for Senate and President, are the age of your account and not the age of your registration here in Atlasia.

I have nothing against newbies, the problem is we've seen an unusual and never-before-seen increase in stupid no-post voting newbies, like electoraljew, cindy, and others, as well as ignorants like Jewish Conservative, or Catmusic (who didn't even bother to vote.) The fact of the matter is that people are being recruited, from where we don't know, and accepting for the sake of argument their authenticity, just for someone's gain. And the unfortunate reality is some people aren't ready for prime-time, and all this amendment does is require people have to spend a little extra time outside of waiting for an election cycle to roll around in the first place, before they run for only two offices.

The level of which this has been blown out of proportion is mind-boggling.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »

The amendment doesn't limit anyone's rights. No one already registered will be untouched. Don't be an idiot.

I've said time and time again, all this amendment does is modestly increase registration requirements and make sure someone's account has to be the age of the rough equivalent of an election cycle before they can run for President or the Senate. It doesn't tough regional offices, such as Gov. or Lt. Gov. You can still be appointed to the cabinet, still argue in court, still vote just like you do now, still run organizations like newspapers, still participate in debate over legislation here and in the Constitutional Convention..

Atlasia is meant to be a playground for member of the Atlas forum, it's not meant to be crap for newbie flies to flock to at the direction of those who wish to use your votes for political gain. I stress, again, that the "three and six month time limits" for Senate and President, are the age of your account and not the age of your registration here in Atlasia.

I have nothing against newbies, the problem is we've seen an unusual and never-before-seen increase in stupid no-post voting newbies, like electoraljew, cindy, and others, as well as ignorants like Jewish Conservative, or Catmusic (who didn't even bother to vote.) The fact of the matter is that people are being recruited, from where we don't know, and accepting for the sake of argument their authenticity, just for someone's gain. And the unfortunate reality is some people aren't ready for prime-time, and all this amendment does is require people have to spend a little extra time outside of waiting for an election cycle to roll around in the first place, before they run for only two offices.

I understand the Amendment, Senator. Smiley But, I belive that this orginization also allows newbies to express their opinions, and introduce their ideas to Atlasia.  If you remember, I tried to introduce a Convention to help the Northeast Legislature, and that was shot down. I believe that this orginization would allow ideas like that to develope and get the fair consideration they deserve.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:04 PM »

Ah a Double negative!!! Cheesy
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »

Oops on the double negative Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

I thought so, cause I really doubt you want to "touch" all the newbies. Dave knows where some of them have been. Tongue
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:45:57 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2009, 06:50:31 PM by Swedish Cheese »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I love how you prove my point.

Anyway, you say that this amendment will not in any way affect those who's already registered. That is of course true. I will still have my rights. However if I had not already registered  before this amendment it would have. I believe I had only been a member of five days when I made a valid registration and I didn't have much more than 25 posts. Had I had to wait until ten days and 25 posts later I would have missed the presidential election.

Now that's fair enough, that is the point of this amendment anyway, to make new forum members miss soon upcoming elections so that people do not bring voter slaves to the forum. My point is though that had I not been allowed to join until my acount was fifteen days, and then not allowed to vote for an additional period of ten days, I would have lost intrest. I wouldn't have joined.

So this amendment can chase away good intelligent people that wants to join, while it does nothing to prevent what you actually want prevent. Because lets keep it real, if anyone is actually reqruiting voting slaves, they'd just tell said slaves to create an account 25 days before the election and the problem is solved.

I also don't understand your argument that since I'm not affected I shouldn't care. That's like saying. "Hey I don't get why the gays that married during the short period of time same-sex marrige was allowed in California opposes the ban, their unions are still marriages, so it doesn't affect them."

As for the other part of the amendment, I don't see why that's even an issue. Has there been any newbies elected to one of those offices recently. Sure people have run, and sometimes made fools of themselves in the process, but I do not see why that would be a negative thing.

Democracy means to allow the people to make their own decissions and sometimes mistakes, if they want to elect a newbie president who're you to tell them they can't.

LOL that's a good point I have to admit. Considering how much I've been sweating in this heat I wouldn't want to touch me either. Tongue

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »

Very true! Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 06:50:12 PM »

Well, if your interest in Atlasia is so fickle that you would've lost interest so soon after joining just because you would've been made to wait a few more days, then how strong is your interest in Atlasia, really? Anyone serious about playing this game wouldn't storm off just because they don't get to vote in one of the many elections we have pretty much every couple months.

As for missing the election, I'm sorry, that's tough and just the way it is. You're a fine newbie, and I was a newbie too once, but you're pretty much the exception to the rule here. I can point out plenty of 25-post newbies who joined almost right along the deadlines, voted, and never showed up again. The fact that you would've shown up a little bit late for the election isn't something I can help. It's not an infringement on your rights that you would've been late. Roll Eyes
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »

Why do you hate newbies?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »

Good luck, guys.  Really.  Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »

Thank you very much! And we would be honored if you could act as an official 'liaison' between Newbies and older members! Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »

I have no problem with productive and insightful new members. I honestly urge each of you to participate and enjoy the game.

The measures being proposed right now are simply meant to ensure that people that join this game have a better idea of what they are getting into. That shouldn't stop you guys from being active and running for office (as I see Barnes is already doing, best of luck in the Northeast!).
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2009, 11:45:50 PM by Fritz »

No, I don't think so...not doing anything official here.  But I do wish you luck.

(btw, I did already vote in favor of th amendment)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »

No, I don't think so...not doing anything official here.  But I do wish you luck.

I totally understand! Thanks for the encouragement anyway! Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »

Providence, Rhode Island:

Hello! I'm writing this to inform you on how the ARNA Leadership is coming together.

Swedish Cheese will be the Head Secretary. He will lead, promote, and uphold the Alliance.

I will be the Under-Secretary, and will be the direct second-in-command to the Head Secretary.

Swedish Cheese is writing our Rules as I type this, and they will be posted shortly.

Thank you for your time,
Barnes
Under-Secretary of the ARNA

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »

We now also come with our own logo:

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 01:15:23 PM »

We have a Wiki page:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/The_Alliance_for_the_Rights_of_Newbies_in_Atlasia
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »

I see the newbies as the second coming of the dot-com bubble. Back in 1997-2000, you had all of these new companies popping up all over the internet that immediately wanted to get big fast, went public, saw their stock soar, only to go bankrupt in the following weeks/months.

The newbies here seem to be the same way. We are seeing a lot of new members joining who immediately want to run for Senate or other upper level positions with no record, knowledge or base at all. Atlasians put their faith in them because they have red avatars or whatnot.

We need to have these newbies build themselves a base of active participation, insight and trustworthiness before they run for office. Only then should they be running for high offices. People like Bayh, Barnes, KyleGordon et al have no business running right now with 100 posts to their name.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »

Agreed, but Duke, Barnes is running for Lt. Gov., exactly the position he should be running for. I think we may be up to the second coming here. First we had Bayh and others running for high offices too quickly, with massive numbers of new members joining. I think, now, the bubble has popped. New members are in lower positions in which they will do better at first.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

Agreed, but Duke, Barnes is running for Lt. Gov., exactly the position he should be running for. I think we may be up to the second coming here. First we had Bayh and others running for high offices too quickly, with massive numbers of new members joining. I think, now, the bubble has popped. New members are in lower positions in which they will do better at first.

That is exactly our point, Senator! Smiley Our organization will be here to suggest what Newbies can do the best in when they start out.  Thank you for the support! Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2009, 03:29:59 PM by Bayh! `10 »

I see the newbies as the second coming of the dot-com bubble. Back in 1997-2000, you had all of these new companies popping up all over the internet that immediately wanted to get big fast, went public, saw their stock soar, only to go bankrupt in the following weeks/months.

The newbies here seem to be the same way. We are seeing a lot of new members joining who immediately want to run for Senate or other upper level positions with no record, knowledge or base at all. Atlasians put their faith in them because they have red avatars or whatnot.

We need to have these newbies build themselves a base of active participation, insight and trustworthiness before they run for office. Only then should they be running for high offices. People like Bayh, Barnes, KyleGordon et al have no business running right now with 100 posts to their name.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. At least don't put me in a category with newbies. I have over 15000 posts. 263 of them has come from this board. I have access to wiki, and do my best to update it as much as I can. I've already proposed three bills in the Mideast Assembly, and plan on running to retain my seat in the July elections, so I can continue to propose new ideas. I agree, that I shouldn't have ran for the At-Large Senate seat, but that was a month ago.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies