Besides Iraq and Afghanistan, what was the last war between 2 states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:29:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Besides Iraq and Afghanistan, what was the last war between 2 states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Besides Iraq and Afghanistan, what was the last war between 2 states?  (Read 1155 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2009, 01:04:46 AM »
« edited: July 01, 2009, 01:18:36 AM by Jacobtm »

An edited attempt:

It seems that lately, all the "wars" going on are really conflicts within countries. Mexico, Colombia, India, Pakistan, and now Afghanistan and Iraq are all just trying to deal with domestic violence.

But when is the last time that one state went to war with another with the specific goal of toppling it's government? The obvious 2 are Iraq and Afghanistan, but I'm just having trouble thinking of a situation besides those.

I'm not looking for situations like Israel's recent conflicts, where they didn't try to wrest control of Gaza from Hamas or try to topple Lebanon's gov't to combat Hizbullah, but a real classic war sitaution where an entire country is squarely defeated.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasions#2000_.E2.80.93_present

Looks like Israel invading Gaza was the last one (or Russia invading Georgia if you don't count Gaza as a country).
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:13:59 AM »

I wouldn't really count gaza as a "war", more military harassment. Simmilarly I wouldn't really count Russia and Georgia, but I guess that's my fault for bad wording.

See, Russia wasn't trying to (or at least didn't end up) toppling Georgia's government the way Iraq and Afghanistan were. They just helped rebels (albeit ones funded by Russia to begin with).

I'm looking for an all out war, like Iraq and Afghanistan, where one state explicitly goes in with the goal to overthrow the other state's government.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:50:02 AM »

Ethiopia invaded Somalia in 2006 to rout the ruling Islamists. Though the Islamists weren't the legal or recognized government of Somalia, but neither were the Taliban in Afghanistan.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:34:47 AM »

The Eritrean-Ethiopian War of 1998-2000 certainly qualifies as a war, and Eritrea has had brief skirmishes over disputed territory with Yemen on 1995 and Djibouti in 2008.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:50:37 AM »

Why must a nation want to topple another nations's government if a conflict is to count as a "war"? "War" is any large-scale military conflict between two or more sovereign countries. Wars can be fought over territory, over ressources, or to simply force another country's government to accept your demands (without actually toppling that government).

The Gulf War of 1991 hadn't the objective of toppling Saddam's government. The goal was to restore Kuwait as a sovereign nation and to force the Iraqi government to accept the border line between the two countries. Russia didn't want to topple the Georgian government in 2008. The goal was to retain the de facto independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia from Georgia (or to put it in another way: to enforce the de facto status of Abkhazia and South Ossetia as Russian republics).

So, what you're actually want to know is: What was the last invasion of another country with the objective of regime change?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 05:59:22 AM »

See, Russia wasn't trying to (or at least didn't end up) toppling Georgia's government the way Iraq and Afghanistan were. They just helped rebels (albeit ones funded by Russia to begin with).
But Georgia wanted to topple the South Ossetian government. I'd count it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »

Russia vs Georgia is the most recent true example of war between two states. Israel vs Gaza might count.
Jacobtm

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »

So, what you're actually want to know is: What was the last invasion of another country with the objective of regime change?

Regime change or annexation, a war that could only be settled by the destruction of one side or the other really.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »

Regime change or annexation, a war that could only be settled by the destruction of one side or the other really.

The invasion of Kuwait in 1990... although this "war" lasted only two days or so. This annexation was reversed through an actual war though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »

Here's a more recent example of such actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Storm
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:35:40 PM »

I don't count Israel v. Gaza, so Russia v. Georgia would be my answer.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »

I don't count Israel v. Gaza, so Russia v. Georgia would be my answer.

How can you count one and not the other? In neither one did one of the countries attempt to topple the government of the other.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies