analysis of BRTD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:45:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  analysis of BRTD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: analysis of BRTD  (Read 5656 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

The only thing I find weird about BRTD is that he loves or hates states and counties based on whether or not they voted for Obama.  He seems to disregard other factors in those states and counties.

Yet, since he hates the Catholic Church, he throws that logic out the window and completely ignores that the majority of Catholics voted for Obama and the majority of Protestants voted for McCain.

Let's just have some consistency here.

I think he would argue there are different kinds of Protestants: the good ones who probably voted Obama, and the Evangelicals who obviously voted for McCain.
Regardless, he doesn't make exceptions for certain counties in Hilllary or McCain states, or certain precincts in Hillary or McCain counties, so it's not consistent for him to start splitting liberal Protestants and conservative Protestants...might as well look at liberal Catholics and conservative Catholics as well.

The difference is that the Catholic church has a centralized heirarchy that all churches are expected to follow, Protestants are anything but unified. You can't really split Catholics because really any liberal Catholic is just ignoring the church and basically being a bad Catholic. But there's hordes of different Protestant groups as different as night and day, so lumping them together is pointless. And the governing system of states is more similar to the Catholic church, even if you're in a liberal county in a conservative state, you're still being ruled by the conservative state government, the Protestant analogy would be a hypothetical non-existant state where most law and governance are set at the county level.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »

constine didn't really read what I wrote, yet what he did is fascinating.  he, in decent depth, scanned what I wrote and determined that I was being perhaps more negative on the subject than his image of me would usually project, and therefore, closer to the popular forum mean.  once he saw the words of StatesRights already quoted, the post to him became a no-brainer: re-quote the quote and back out of the thread, keeping tabs on it to see whether or not another post-padding opportunity would arrive.

spot on

No, 100% wrong.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

constine didn't really read what I wrote, yet what he did is fascinating.  he, in decent depth, scanned what I wrote and determined that I was being perhaps more negative on the subject than his image of me would usually project, and therefore, closer to the popular forum mean.  once he saw the words of StatesRights already quoted, the post to him became a no-brainer: re-quote the quote and back out of the thread, keeping tabs on it to see whether or not another post-padding opportunity would arrive.

spot on

No, 100% wrong.

re-quote the quote and back out of the thread, keeping tabs on it to see whether or not another post-padding opportunity would arrive.

lol
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »

So, because I commented again on the thread, that proves Tweed's comment?  Don't be an idiot.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »

So, because I commented again on the thread, that proves Tweed's comment?  Don't be an idiot.

I think it has to do with the fact that you had already rebuffed Tweed's analysis, and then later responded to someone who agreed with him with a three word retort.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »

A bit of a fanatic, but entertaining.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »

I think half of what we see is an act.

Only half?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »

I've always thought that BRTD was "playing", that is, exaggerating his own beliefs for his personal enjoyment. It is similar to when a girl experiences what to me seems like a minor inconvenience and calls it a "crisis". Why not call it a crisis? After all, it is a crisis to her, if not to the world.  It might as well be a crisis. Enjoy and wallow in the fact that there is no 'real' crisis. And so on and son on. Similarly, why should BRTD not express his beliefs in an exaggerated fashion to make up for the fact that most people disagree with him and his opinions are not reality? Why not express it at the visceral level? If it makes him feel better. He only expresses what many people often feel in a more honest fashion. I mean, he takes a lot of heat for example, expressing an opinion on a county based on who it voted for, or how many strip clubs it has, or whatever, but the truth of the matter is the entire notion of having an opinion of a county is rather absurd, and if you are going to ask that question, then most people will form opinions based on extremely shallow and idiosyncratic reasons, whether they will admit to it or not.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 06:12:44 PM »

I wonder how he feels about a Catholic who was loyal to Britain?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

His hatred of Catholicism is so extreme that I'm almost surprised that his two votes for president (04 and 08) have been for a ticket that included a Catholic over a ticket of two Protestants.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »

His hatred of Catholicism is so extreme that I'm almost surprised that his two votes for president (04 and 08) have been for a ticket that included a Catholic over a ticket of two Protestants.

Don't forget that he would have voted Democratic in 1928.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »

spot on
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »

I wonder how he feels about a Catholic who was loyal to Britain?

No problem with them, not a terrorist. Of course plenty of such people were murdered by the IRA.

Uh, because no one actually votes on that type of stuff? If that was all I cared about I should LOVE Tim Pawlenty for being an ex-Catholic Lutheran (Much like my former Congressman Tim Walz I should note) and Phil should hate him. Clearly not the case.

Don't forget that he would have voted Democratic in 1928.

Actually both candidates that year were pretty awful for reasons that had nothing to do with religion. I would've still voted for Smith though because of Prohibition.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »

OK now that I finally figured out the OP, here are some things I have changed my mind on (age when I did in parantheses):

Emo (16)
Christianity (18)
Hugo Chavez (23)
opebo (20)
Hillary Clinton (25)
Straha (23)
What was your opinion of emo when you were 16?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »

This is fun. Do me.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2009, 09:27:23 PM »

I like that Tweed went to college and all of the sudden is an "intellectual."
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 09:28:36 PM »

OK now that I finally figured out the OP, here are some things I have changed my mind on (age when I did in parantheses):

Emo (16)
Christianity (18)
Hugo Chavez (23)
opebo (20)
Hillary Clinton (25)
Straha (23)
What was your opinion of emo when you were 16?

When I first heard it I thought it was mostly just noise and couldn't stand the vocals.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »

Attention whores.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2009, 06:22:19 PM »

You're the one who bumped up the astrology thread from oblivion Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »

You were done already.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »

Frodo is not Ben. Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »

People who are begging to be analyzed have security issues if they need a third party to tell them who they are.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »

Whatever, Alcon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies