analysis of BRTD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:49:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  analysis of BRTD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: analysis of BRTD  (Read 5696 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

his mind determines a given opinion of a person or group within a short time of encountering it.  he then works hard, yet effortlessly, at protecting that mental picture of the person/group, even if it requires complete and willful obliviousness to reality.  these rationales, such as the 'half plus seven rule' are often unforgiving and, well, irrational; and the potential categories that his mind can work with shrinks to simple binary division, such as 'freedom fighter' and 'horrible person'.  these positions are then supplementing a series of mannerisms and personal characteristics that often project an image of calculated belligerence.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:01:41 AM »

spot on
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:45 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:03:05 AM »

I just worked 10 hours, I don't want to try to analyze this now, bleh. Later.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

his mind determines a given opinion of a person or group within a short time of encountering it.  he then works hard, yet effortlessly, at protecting that mental picture of the person/group, even if it requires complete and willful obliviousness to reality.  these rationales...are often unforgiving and, well, irrational; and the potential categories that his mind can work with shrinks to simple binary division

You mean... he's human?  What?! Shocked
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »

I like BRTD and always have. If he's irrational or stubborn or opinionated, so be it -- so are a lot of others on here Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »

constine didn't really read what I wrote, yet what he did is fascinating.  he, in decent depth, scanned what I wrote and determined that I was being perhaps more negative on the subject than his image of me would usually project, and therefore, closer to the popular forum mean.  once he saw the words of StatesRights already quoted, the post to him became a no-brainer: re-quote the quote and back out of the thread, keeping tabs on it to see whether or not another post-padding opportunity would arrive.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 12:15:26 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2009, 12:17:44 AM by Alcon »

Everyone does this, and a lot of people are totally disinterested in correcting for it.  BRTD just finds unusual glee in it, and is more obsessive on certain topics than most people.  And then he's more interested in that glee than self-correction.  So, he's "worse" about it than most people who understand logic as well as he does.  He has more incentive to not self-correct than most people do.  It's not really complex or magical, and I think he basically fesses to it.

Your Constine post is basically just making narrative up and kind of reeks of actor-observer bias.  The man just quoted a post.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:54:33 AM »

The only thing I find weird about BRTD is that he loves or hates states and counties based on whether or not they voted for Obama.  He seems to disregard other factors in those states and counties.

Yet, since he hates the Catholic Church, he throws that logic out the window and completely ignores that the majority of Catholics voted for Obama and the majority of Protestants voted for McCain.

Let's just have some consistency here.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:02:13 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2009, 01:11:29 AM by SoFA EarlAW »

The only thing I find weird about BRTD is that he loves or hates states and counties based on whether or not they voted for Obama.  He seems to disregard other factors in those states and counties.

Yet, since he hates the Catholic Church, he throws that logic out the window and completely ignores that the majority of Catholics voted for Obama and the majority of Protestants voted for McCain.

I think he would argue there are different kinds of Protestants: the good ones who probably voted Obama, and the Evangelicals who obviously voted for McCain. Also keep in mind the hard core Catholics probably voted McCain. I can name 3 of my closer friends in Canada who supported McCain, and they were Catholic.  True Catholics are pro-life, and would never vote for a pro-choice candidate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:42 AM »

I think he would argue there are different kinds of Protestants: the good ones who probably voted Obama, and the Evangelicals who obviously voted for McCain. Also keep in mind the hard core Catholics probably voted McCain. I can name 3 of my closer friends in Canada who supported McCain, and they were Catholic.  True Catholics are pro-life, and would never vote for a pro-life candidate.

That is true. In Minnesota McCain won Catholics, but Obama won non-evangelical Protestants (and by a lot.)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »

I think he would argue there are different kinds of Protestants: the good ones who probably voted Obama, and the Evangelicals who obviously voted for McCain. Also keep in mind the hard core Catholics probably voted McCain. I can name 3 of my closer friends in Canada who supported McCain, and they were Catholic.  True Catholics are pro-life, and would never vote for a pro-life candidate.

What?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 01:11:03 AM »

What?

Oops, should say pro-choice candidate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »

OK now that I finally figured out the OP, here are some things I have changed my mind on (age when I did in parantheses):

Emo (16)
Christianity (18)
Hugo Chavez (23)
opebo (20)
Hillary Clinton (25)
Straha (23)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »

You like Hillary now? That's great to hear!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 01:18:07 AM »

OK now that I finally figured out the OP, here are some things I have changed my mind on (age when I did in parantheses):

Emo (16)
Christianity (18)
Hugo Chavez (23)
opebo (20)
Hillary Clinton (25)
Straha (23)

Don't you think it's a bad idea to use Christianity ("the smartest people on emo boards were Christians, I don't care about the philosophy or make-up outside of my peer group") and Hillary Clinton ("she works for Obama, now" apparently?) in these examples?  Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »

You oversimplified Christianity greatly, and a few things I've said to you on AIM after a bit of drinking hardly completely summarize my outlook throughout life.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2009, 01:48:59 AM by Alcon »

You oversimplified Christianity greatly, and a few things I've said to you on AIM after a bit of drinking hardly completely summarize my outlook throughout life.

That's fair enough.  Although I would know more if you hadn't blown me off when I brought it up subsequently.  We haven't talked about it in any great detail.  Still, it does seem like you do engage in categorical and tribalistic thinking a lot more than most more "liberal-minded" people.  Or at least you seem weirdly enthusiastic about it.

That's all I meant by my prior post.  Sorry if it was unwarranted.  I do not agree with that means of interpretation, but there are greater evils in the world.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 01:36:14 AM »

Emo (16)
Christianity (18)
Hugo Chavez (23)
opebo (20)
Hillary Clinton (25)
Straha (23)

lol

Anyway, I enjoyed the analysis of Ben more than the analysis of BRTD. I think it was more accurate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 01:38:16 AM »

constine didn't really read what I wrote, yet what he did is fascinating.  he, in decent depth, scanned what I wrote and determined that I was being perhaps more negative on the subject than his image of me would usually project, and therefore, closer to the popular forum mean.  once he saw the words of StatesRights already quoted, the post to him became a no-brainer: re-quote the quote and back out of the thread, keeping tabs on it to see whether or not another post-padding opportunity would arrive.

Yeah, no.  Feel free to try again, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 03:21:01 AM »

spot on
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 03:29:27 AM »

I think he would argue there are different kinds of Protestants: the good ones who probably voted Obama, and the Evangelicals who obviously voted for McCain. Also keep in mind the hard core Catholics probably voted McCain. I can name 3 of my closer friends in Canada who supported McCain, and they were Catholic.  True Catholics are pro-life, and would never vote for a pro-choice candidate.

Uhh??  Ok, whatever.

(braces for Gully Foyle attack)

BRTD has made some sharp attacks on Irish Catholics (American or native) I don't particularly like.  Mind you I know firsthand how some are in terms of having multiple children with little means to support them saying they're following Church orders, etc., but man does he make some blatant attacks.  I definitely think the hierarchy is quite close-minded on many issues and needs to modernize before it self destructs.  A Vatican III is needed badly. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 07:02:48 AM »

I think half of what we see is an act.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »

I think he would argue there are different kinds of Protestants: the good ones who probably voted Obama, and the Evangelicals who obviously voted for McCain.
Regardless, he doesn't make exceptions for certain counties in Hilllary or McCain states, or certain precincts in Hillary or McCain counties, so it's not consistent for him to start splitting liberal Protestants and conservative Protestants...might as well look at liberal Catholics and conservative Catholics as well.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Not only is that false, it's a dangerous thing to suggest.  Thankfully the Catholic Church doesn't try to strongarm its members into voting a certain way, unlike many Protestant churches.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies