What about Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:21:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What about Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What about Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)?  (Read 3755 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:49 PM »

What about Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska as the Republican nominee? Sure she's considered a moderate, but McCain was also considered a moderate when he ran in 2008, and was able to win since Romney and Huckabee split the conservative vote.  If it's Murkowski vs. Romney vs. Huckabee, could the same thing happen again?  And you have to admit, she'd be more competitive against Obama then Romney or Huckabee.  I honestly think she's the best hope for the Republican Party in 2012.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »

I would have said that this was another Walter post but the "w" in "What" is capitalized.

Murkowski has a next to no chance. First of all, there's another Alaska woman far more well known and popular with the national GOP audience. Secondly, Murkowski is not a stand out. Finally, McCain is a conservative and had a conservative record to point to (despite being seen by some as a moderate). Murkowski has too many negatives for the Republicans when you look at her record.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »

Roll Eyes

Obscure back-bencher, daughter of a hilariously scandal-tainted disgraced ex-governor, whom no one besides us has ever heard of?

McCain's been a national figure for at least a decade, and to some extent back to the 1990s.  Murkowski's been in the Senate for 6.5 years now.  What are her signature issues?  What does she believe in?  What has her name attached to it?  
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »

She would've been a good VP pick in 2008, but she has no chance to get the nomination.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »

Honestly, I don't think it will happen.  Firstly, her stance on abortion and women's rights is outside the Republican mainstream.  Secondly, her appointment to the senate was widely seen as an act of nepotism, bestowed upon her by her father, Fmr. Governor Frank Murkowski.

McCain was less a moderate than a conservative with bipartisan instincts.  His winning the nomination was partly a result of his good showing in the 2000 primaries, his capacity to be a good soldier for the GOP when called on, his national reputation and credibility in military matters, his solid campaigning skills (which he puzzlingly lost in the general election), and a life story that even his most ardent opponents admire and respect.  I do not believe that Murkowski has any of these factors in her favor.  

She does have some int'l credentials, given her seat on the Foreign Relations committee, but I don't think that's enough.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »

Roll Eyes

Obscure back-bencher, daughter of a hilariously scandal-tainted disgraced ex-governor

Yeah, this too, of course.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »

No. Murkowski is not about to run, especially with Palin being a likely candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »

Also, my socks seems to have more charisma than Lisa.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »

Best case scenario for the GOP concerning Murkowski is the corrupt bitch gets primaried. She and Don Young are the last vestige of the corrupt Alaska GOP Establishment. If the Dems can find another Mark Begich to run against her, I will gladly endorse him, just like I did Begich in 2008. And just in case some of my moderate friends are confused, it aint cause I am a conservative and she's moderate. 
Patriot
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »

As others have said, this is not going to happen.  If Sarah Palin were not in the picture, then perhaps she'd consider it, but her stance on abortion is too far to the left.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »

Roll Eyes

Obscure back-bencher, daughter of a hilariously scandal-tainted disgraced ex-governor, whom no one besides us has ever heard of?

We're talking about the 2012 Republican nominee, not someone worth a damn.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »

Its pretty much all been said on Lisa but I'd add that the most likely female GOP candidates at this point are probably Jodi Rell and Kay Bailey Hutchinson.  (Palin gets all the attention but I think even the GOP has realized she's a poison pill).  The major problems with the previous two are that Rell is probably too moderate and Hutchinson won't really have the time to pivot from running for governor to running for president.  I think Hutchinson's chances actually improve if she remains in the Senate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:08 AM »

Again, KBH doesn't want to be president.  Seriously.  Governor of TX is one of the easiest jobs on the planet, and she's looking for a way to phase into retirement while being closer to home.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:32 AM »

Nope.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:26 AM »

Basically no chance of winning the general, let alone the primary.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »

Why? So she can be impeached a day later for being a corrupt ass like her good-for-nothing father? And her former senate colleague (Ted Stevens) or like Don Young?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »

Why? So she can be impeached a day later for being a corrupt ass like her good-for-nothing father? And her former senate colleague (Ted Stevens) or like Don Young?

Nothing like good ol' guilt by association, right?
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »

Her dad is a crook her "buddies" are crooks. She MIGHT Be a crook
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »

Murkowski has her own corruption story. A developer sold her prime land at much less than market value in exchange for bennies. Talking Points Memo was all over the story in 2007; scroll down here.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/cats/lisa_murkowski/
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »

When it comes to Alaskan politics you and I are on the same page it would seem.

Her dad is a crook her "buddies" are crooks. She MIGHT Be a crook

It is isn't a question of "might" as it is a question of "is". Of course that would depend on your definition of "is", wouldn't it? Tongue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies