Politico: "growing speculation" that Palin won't run for reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:01:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Politico: "growing speculation" that Palin won't run for reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: "growing speculation" that Palin won't run for reelection  (Read 2218 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:50 AM »

link:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/24051.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:24:33 AM »

Sounds about right.  If she firmly decides she will run in 2012 she won't run for reelection.  However, there's no reason for her not to keep her options open at this point.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 04:54:01 AM »

Sounds about right.  If she firmly decides she will run in 2012 she won't run for reelection.  However, there's no reason for her not to keep her options open at this point.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »

If she was smart, she would run and probably win reelection and lie low for a while and run in 2016/2020.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:03:12 AM »

If she was smart, she would run and probably win reelection and lie low for a while and run in 2016/2020.

Palin, smart? ...sure.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »

If Palin doesn't run for a second term, then I see no reason to support her.  The reason Mitt Romney didn't run in '06 was because he would get beaten in liberal Massachusetts.  There is no such threat to Palin in Alaska.  Also, with these charges of 'inexperience' wouldn't it be best for Palin to opt for a second term?
An underwhelming reelection margin might be harmful enough.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »

Isn't this speculation kind of early?  The deadline for filing in Alaska isn't until June 2010.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »

If she won't run for reelection then I pray she does grow a brain and run against Murkowski. If she retires it gives a chance for someone of the old corrupt GOP establishment to run against her. Hopefully Sean Parnell will run for Governor and let State Speaker John Harris take out Don Young in a primary.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:04 AM »

If she won't run for reelection then I pray she does grow a brain and run against Murkowski. If she retires it gives a chance for someone of the old corrupt GOP establishment to run against her. Hopefully Sean Parnell will run for Governor and let State Speaker John Harris take out Don Young in a primary.

Murkowski is now more popular than Palin, or was at the end of March: http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0309/Murkowski_more_popular_than_Palin.html
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 12:33:11 AM »

Why is she not going to run for reelection if she gets elected in 2012?  That's pretty dumb if you ask me.  She needs to make her mind up and quickly.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 02:37:42 AM »

Isn't this speculation kind of early?  The deadline for filing in Alaska isn't until June 2010.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

If Palin doesn't run for a second term, then I see no reason to support her.  The reason Mitt Romney didn't run in '06 was because he would get beaten in liberal Massachusetts.  There is no such threat to Palin in Alaska.  Also, with these charges of 'inexperience' wouldn't it be best for Palin to opt for a second term?
An underwhelming reelection margin might be harmful enough.

Hasn't hurt Pawlenty, unfortunately.

People really don't care about that. Plus, there wasn't a focus on Pawlenty's re-election like there will be with Palin's and Palin is actually from a Republican state. Pawlenty winning in that year with an insanely hyped opponent, regardless of the margin, was good enough.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »

Murkowski is now more popular than Palin, or was at the end of March: http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0309/Murkowski_more_popular_than_Palin.html

Alaska loves politicians especially ones the bring home the bacon, all you need to do though is bring up some of her potential ethics violations, show the similarities in background between her and Ben Stevens(Ted's son), and then bring up her moderate record, her support for the Law of the Sea Treaty, abortion, Illegal Immigration, and you have a pretty convincing arguement for sending her packing. Ted Stevens was probably that popular last year, its amazing what a criminal indictment can do to your popularity. Can we please get another one, to destroy this corrupt witch too. I am perfectly willing to have the Alaska delegation be 100% Democratic(Yes I want Young gone too) for the first time since 1968 if thats what it takes to rid our party of these crooks, though of course I would prefer to do the job in primaries as you can guess.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »

Joke governor.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »

Joke>Crook. As long as Palin is there she will be a thorne in the side of the Alaska GOP establishment that is just waiting for her to be snuffed out so they can reassert control and send Senators and Congressment who see there primary job as drilling into the federal budget to pad themselves and there friends wallets.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 04:43:15 PM »

This is what I really hate about the primary system and primaries in general.  People who should be governing their states are instead running for President.

If Palin is a one-termer, that means all three of the top GOP contenders will not hold office.  That's pretty sad.

You honestly believe that?

lol. Romney didn't run in 2006 cuz he was planning to run for president.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 04:51:14 PM »

This is what I really hate about the primary system and primaries in general.  People who should be governing their states are instead running for President.

If Palin is a one-termer, that means all three of the top GOP contenders will not hold office.  That's pretty sad.

You honestly believe that?

lol. Romney didn't run in 2006 cuz he was planning to run for president.

Romney would have lost, and I am probably the second strongest supporter of Romney here. Romney got bashed really hard by both the Democrats and the local papers which were allied with the other wing of the MA Republican party that supported Swift and later supported McCain. Many of it came because they opposed controlling illegal Immigration and thus despised Romney's decision to deputise the MA police to help ICE find and deport illegal Immigrants. When he left he had a 38% Approval rating, down from the mid to high 40's earlier in 2006 and late 2005.   
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

Romney would've won as a liberal.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »