Election Seasons and Fun
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Election Seasons and Fun
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What election season did you have more "fun" expirencing?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Election Seasons and Fun  (Read 1267 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:47:28 AM »

For me it was 2004.

The closeness of the race, first time closely following a race, the high political stakes, etc.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »

2008 for me.  It was the first race I followed start to finish.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

Voted 2008, because of the primaries.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »

I voted 2008.

In 2004, i was 10, and at school on election day, we had to write a fictional newspaper article, and i did one with the headline "Bush wins Election". There was a bit of a talk about it at school, and my closest friend wanted Bush to win because he liked the idea of war for some reason. I wanted Kerry to win, mainly because i was aganist the war. I didn't even know what party Bush or Kerry were in, and i didn't know what thier policies were. I didn't even know what liberal or conservative meant. Then i went home that night and watched BBC News, and they were talking as thought Kerry had no hope of winning and that Bush was going to win in a landslide. They interviewed some poor people in Mississppi, who wanted Bush out of office. Then i got up in the morning, and the Electoral count was Bush 249, Kerry 242. Then just before i left for school they called Nevada for Bush. Then my dad told me on the way home from school that day that Kerry had conceded. I was kinda upset, but not as upset as i probably would be now. Then we went to my mum's cousin's house, and she was moaning that Bush had been re-elected too.

Sorry, i like to reminisce.

In 2008, i didn't even know about the election until around March, when i saw a BBC News report about Hillary Clinton, i think it was after she won the Texas and Ohio Primaries. I thought it was great that a woman was running, so i supported her. Then i saw Obama giving a speech, and i thought he was a bit arrogant, so i didn't support him. I didn't really get how the whole primary process worked. Then it was about 3 or 4 months later when i became a real political geek, and i developed my political views, mainly because of the internet (i only got access to it at home about 14 months ago). I became a liberal, because i'd realised that i was gay about 2 or 3 years ago, so i'm liberal because of that, and also because of a lot of other things. Anyway, i supported Obama after he won the nomination, and the rest is history.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:33 PM »

Voted 2008, because of the primaries.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »

Obviously 2004 both here and in the real world. The irony is that the most fun I had in 2004 came with my heavy involvement with a certain losing Congressional campaign in SE PA.  Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

2008 because I cared far less about the actual outcome
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »

2008, though I also enjoyed 2004 up to the end.  I am probably the only Atlasian who considers John Kerry a hero.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:06:40 PM »

2004 eventhough I didn't really follow it start to finish. It was when I first started to get into politics, also I didn't really have an issue or candidate I was really passionate about so I felt very comfortable that election in a way I haven't felt since. I remember following the course of events on the lame, yet usefull, Channel One in middle school.

2006 was the first election I started to follow real closely starting in early 2006. My attention to politics had never really disappeared after 2004, I just sort of took a 6 month breather and then in August of 2005 I began to watch Congess on C-Span I began hanging out at a Political Website thats sort of gone down the drain since 2007(ElectionProjections). 2006 was my first election that I hated, primarily cause I was defending and trying to marginalise actions and positions that I detested. Most of my candidates also lost. It is over this period that my political beliefs became more entrenched as well.

2008 was election I followed the longest, primarily cause I had already heard about Romney and when he decided to run thus I didn't have to search for a candidate or have a chance to rest from politics. First his defeat, then McCains, made this election worse then 2006.

I don't think it is possible anymore to have fun when you are deeply committed to certain issues and/or candidates.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:53:20 AM »

04 - I remember staying up all night.  08 just sucked because I actually ran a losing campaign.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies