Mike Castle says Palin and Gingrich are no saviors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:58:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mike Castle says Palin and Gingrich are no saviors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mike Castle says Palin and Gingrich are no saviors  (Read 1868 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »

and praises Pawlenty and Crist.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/48839502.html

"I'm worried about the Republican Party," Castle said. "The Republican message is getting a little old. We're still talking about Ronald Reagan," who was president "before some of the voters were born."

Unpopular stands on "social issues" may have hurt the party. But "what hurt the most was the eight years of President Bush in which the very issues we're talking about today were not addressed. That has been a very strong negative for the Republican Party.

"My vision for the Republican Party is a presidential candidate who can be a good leader. . . . I know it's not Sarah Palin or Newt Gingrich or Dick Cheney."

The Republicans need "a manager." Maybe Minnesota Gov. "Tim Pawlenty, or Florida Gov. Charles Crist . . . someone who can say, 'Here's what we should be doing for Social Security or health care.' " And get back on the national agenda.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »

castle 2012!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »

Well, I agree with him about Pawlenty. I really agree with him on Palin and Gingrich but probably for different reasons.

Again, I must say the constant whining about the GOP looking back to Reagan is annoying. Meanwhile, across the rest of America, there's still a love fest for a President that served for a little under three years during the 1960s.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

Again, I must say the constant whining about the GOP looking back to Reagan is annoying.

1.  you were still soiling your nappys (as opebo would say) when reagan was winding down his second term.  in other words, a lot of voters (who arent political buffs) no very little about reagan.

2.  he wasnt a good president. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »

Again, I must say the constant whining about the GOP looking back to Reagan is annoying.

1.  you were still soiling your nappys (as opebo would say) when reagan was winding down his second term.  in other words, a lot of voters (who arent political buffs) no very little about reagan.

And your Great, Great Uncle Rufus was fighting against Lincoln's Army before you were even a thought and you still like Lincoln. So what's the point here?

A lot of voters know very little about JFK but that hero worship has gone on for decades. Again, what's your point?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sorry, Walter, but your opinion won't convince a single Republican to think otherwise.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »

And your Great, Great Uncle Rufus was fighting against Lincoln's Army before you were even a thought and you still like Lincoln. So what's the point here?

A lot of voters know very little about JFK but that hero worship has gone on for decades. Again, what's your point?

Sorry, Walter, but your opinion won't convince a single Republican to think otherwise.

actually it was my great great grandfather who was fighting against lincoln.   he was named after andrew jackson...not rufus.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »

actually it was my great great grandfather who was fighting against lincoln.   he was named after andrew jackson...not rufus.

Close enough.  Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »

actually it was my great great grandfather who was fighting against lincoln.   he was named after andrew jackson...not rufus.

This is great content.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »

I don't think people are necessarily upset over the simple fact that Republicans praise Reagan (although they do it to a nauseating extent, moreso than any Democrat with our heroes like FDR or JFK) but because Republicans seem intent on doing their best Reagan impersonation every 4 years, and keep trying to act out the Reagan policies, with no regards to their relevance now.

It's not the 80's anymore, things are different. I think it's this fanatical obsession with living out every Reagan policy over and over again, that gets on people's nerves. Certainly mine.

And no, he wasn't a good President.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »

I don't think people are necessarily upset over the simple fact that Republicans praise Reagan (although they do it to a nauseating extent, moreso than any Democrat with our heroes like FDR or JFK)

I disagree. Take a look around this country and you'll find way more people going crazy for JFK.

It's not the 80's anymore, things are different. I think it's this fanatical obsession with living out every Reagan policy over and over again, that gets on people's nerves. Certainly mine.[/quote]

It's not the 1960s anymore. Things are different.

Or maybe some people on both sides believe that their policies and outlook aren't just restricted to a decade.

Again, I'm not debating whether or not he was a good President with a radical left winger. Saying, "No, he wasn't a good President" isn't going to suddenly change my mind or any other Republican's mind.

If people really want to "move past Reagan," the feeling and message has to come from a conservative Republican. Please don't be shocked when Republicans ignore the pleas to "move on" when they come from people like Walter and Marokai.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »

I agree with the silly love fest that many leftists still have for JFK, but the GOP invoked Reagan far too many times in their speeches, debates, etc during the past election.

"What would you do to fix ...."

"Well, I would do just as Reagan did..."

We can honor him, because he was a great President, but we don't have to mention him every ten words.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »

Oh, I agree that he is invoked so often in debates, speeches, etc. that it almost seems as if we're mocking him but I don't find a problem with having a hero for the party.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2009, 09:21:20 AM by Mechaman »

I disagree. Take a look around this country and you'll find way more people going crazy for JFK.

That's because JFK was the Super Moderate Hero, which makes it really lulzy how the Left orgasmasizes about him almost as much as they do FDR. JFK was so moderate that my hardcore Republican grandmother (her views would be called libertarian today) voted for him over Nixon. The only reason why he's known as the Super Leftist Savior is because of his agenda on Civil Rights.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »

In defense of Republicans who invoke Reagan, more than a few Democrats will invoke the name of the Gipper when it suits their purposes.  Including this one.

And he was both a good and a bad President. If anyone taught us how good Reagan was, it was George W. Bush. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

And he was both a good and a bad President. If anyone taught us how good Reagan was, it was George W. Bush.  
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »

Hell, W. made Herbert Hoover look good by comparison.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

Hell, W. made Herbert Hoover look good by comparison.

Well Hoover was a sexy beast Wink

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »

I have no response to Mike Castle
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:20 AM »

A bad President couldn't win 49 states. Independents and Republicans both really think he was a good President. That's two-thirds of the country at least.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »

A bad President couldn't win 49 states.

Most Republicans rank LBJ as among the worst presidents of the last century, and he won a landslide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies