Romanian Gypsies attacked in Belfast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Romanian Gypsies attacked in Belfast
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romanian Gypsies attacked in Belfast  (Read 1090 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iDji7_Kp0M1B_ADrZ0T9-dBi-xpwD98SI4HG0
Now in most cases I'm sceptical about claims of persecution against Gypsies, but here I have to take their side. It seems that for many in Northern Ireland that if they can't have religious conflict, they'll have racial conflict instead.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iDji7_Kp0M1B_ADrZ0T9-dBi-xpwD98SI4HG0
Now in most cases I'm sceptical about claims of persecution against Gypsies, but here I have to take their side. It seems that for many in Northern Ireland that if they can't have religious conflict, they'll have racial conflict instead.

Mantis,

Thanks for posting it.  I have heard very little coverage of this here in the states but NPR and the BBC have run a few good pieces.

I understand very little of the Gypsy-Romany culture or history...despite the fact that 100% of my maternal lineage is Hungarian.  I know they can be found as far east as the former Soviet Republicans of Central Asia, all over Europe and throughout the U.S. and Canada.

What is perplexing is how to reckon various groups that are called "gypsies".  Around here, we are regularly visited by "The Irish Travelers"...who have no ancestral ties to the Romany people that I know of.  Yet people often refer to them as "gypsies".  I've heard some Spaniards refer to the Basque people as "gypsies", but are they?

I should probably get a good book on the subject and bone up.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

You can learn more about the Romani people here and the discrimination against them in Europe throughout the centuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »

Mantis,

Thanks for posting it.  I have heard very little coverage of this here in the states but NPR and the BBC have run a few good pieces.

I understand very little of the Gypsy-Romany culture or history...despite the fact that 100% of my maternal lineage is Hungarian.  I know they can be found as far east as the former Soviet Republicans of Central Asia, all over Europe and throughout the U.S. and Canada.

What is perplexing is how to reckon various groups that are called "gypsies".  Around here, we are regularly visited by "The Irish Travelers"...who have no ancestral ties to the Romany people that I know of.  Yet people often refer to them as "gypsies".  I've heard some Spaniards refer to the Basque people as "gypsies", but are they?

I should probably get a good book on the subject and bone up.

From what I understand, the Travelers are referred to as gypsies due to their nomadic lifestyle and to negative stereotypes about thievery and malfeasence associated with both groups. I've never heard a Spanish person refer to Basques as gypsies or gitanos, though in Argentina,  Turco (Turk) are used to refer to any person with a dark complexion, and gypsy or equilvalent terms are used the same way in other cultures.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »

You can learn more about the Romani people here and the discrimination against them in Europe throughout the centuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people
Of course the Gypsies have not always behaved exemplary, but this case is outrageous.

The Hungarians have nothing to do with the Gypsies. They're not even many in Hungary itself, most seem to live in former Hungarian territories, like Slovakia and Transylvania.

I don't think they have anything to do with the Gypsies, (except some borrowings in their language). It seems they are named Gypsies because of their similar lifestyle.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »

Pretty standard behavior from Loyalists.  Many of their paramilitaries always had a far right-ish bent to them and with the troubles subsiding many have taken a fully white nationalist/anti foreigner  direction.  That is not to say discrimination or violence has not occurred in the republic or nationalist communities- it just does not seem to be as widespread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies